How long to wait to hear back?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Rachel_M
GRAMMY Award

How long to wait to hear back?

Post by Rachel_M »

Hello! This is Rachel_M 's daughter, and I just wanted to ask a question about applying to agencies.

Basically, I'm sure a lot of you are much more experienced in this area than me, and so I wanted to ask what the average amount of time you usually have to wait before hearing back from an agent after applying for representation.

I'm not really sure what the norm is, as I've had several different experiences. A couple of agencies have applied to me within 24 hours after I've first sent off my CV and headshots, and others it has been a couple of months before I've heard a peep back.

So, what would you say the average is? Or rather, when do you think the 'forget about it' cut off point is? If you don't hear back straight away does that generally mean they are not interested full stop? Or do some just take their time? Thank you in advance everyone willing to share their knowledge and experience in this area!
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: How long to wait to hear back?

Post by pg »

I'm afraid it probably is a "how long is a piece of string"? type question. Your experience of the variation in the time it takes for agents to reply is probably fairly typical. When I first applied to agents (before I went to drama school) I had no replies at all from about 30% I should think and of the remainder I would guess that half replied promptly (within 2 weeks) and half took between 2 weeks and 3 months.

I think if you don't hear back it means that they are not particularly interested. It doesn't mean that you should never contact them again, just that you need a decent reason for doing so (a change of circumstances or an invitation to see you in something). Most agents considering older teens and adults will want to see you in something I think - though this could possibly be a showreel rather than stage/TV/film.

You probably know that lots of great actors do struggle to find good representation - so don't despair! Are you still studying? Are you available for full time acting work? Not that it ever is a full time job, but I guess you know what I mean. If you are not yet available full time then I think this will have an effect on your "desirability" as a client.
Rachel_M
GRAMMY Award

Post by Rachel_M »

Thank you pg that is all very helpful to know! If 2 weeks is considered to be 'promptly' then I can at least stop worrying why I'm not hearing back as quickly as I previously have!

I don't have a showreel, so this is maybe part of the problem. Putting one together seems a bit daunting as I've not heard great things about getting material from students films, and getting material filmed specially seems to be horrifically expensive :shock:

I'm not studying anymore, I finished a full time BTEC in acting/musical theatre last year (well actually it was 2011 - but it feels like last year!) and I'm now working. My job is very flexible though - one of the few advantages of being a temp! I do go to acting classes part time in London, and I do shows and LAMDA exams as often as I can. Actually going to drama school full time is a bit financially out of the question for me at the moment, which is why I am doing the part time classes.

Do you think I am going to have a huge disadvantage when applying to agents now then, seeing as I haven't trained at a drama school full time?

Thank you again for all the help and advice!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I think, to be brutally honest, it is likely to be tough for you, but it doesn't mean it won't happen! It's tough for young women who have trained at drama school too. It just depends whether you fit what the agents want and whether they think that you are more likely to get work than all the other people who are applying to them. I do think that a showreel will help you (though it isn't easy to put a good one together) and of course you can apply for plenty of things without an agent which will then improve your CV and make you more interesting to agents because you have proved that you can get work.

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things. Best of luck - and if there is anything else you think I might be able to help with, don't hesitate to ask.