Swapping agencies

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kayleighmplatt
BRIT Award

Swapping agencies

Post by Kayleighmplatt »

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone had any advice with swapping agencies. I am currently signed to one in Newcastle and I haven't had any work from them or through spotlight. I am currently planning on moving to London for drama school, so I am looking for a London based agencies. I was wondering if it was best to try swap agencies before the young performers book gets published or wait till next year when the spotlight subscription come around again.

Hope this makes sense

Kayleigh
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Swapping agencies

Post by pg »

Hi Kayleigh

I'm hoping the following isn't being too much of a wet blanket :( :

If you are heading for drama school then you are presumably a young adult?

You may find it quite hard to attract a decent agent as a young adult in London and if you are going to drama school you may well find that you are not permitted to do any professional work whilst at drama school anyway (you definitely need their permission).

Do you have paid, professional experience on your CV? Obviously if you do then this will be of more interest to agents wherever they are based.

Will your agent keep you on as an adult? Have you checked with Spotlight that you can still have an entry as an adult before you have trained?

I shouldn't ditch your current agent just yet (assuming you are not paying them anything - if you are, then I would ditch them anyway).
1) If you are in London you may find there are more opportunities that you can get to easily (e.g. commercial castings) so may get more castings from your current agent when you move (providing the drama school permits professional work).
2) It would be worth approaching London agents first and seeing whether you get any interest before leaving your current agent.
3) a decent agent will want to see you in something before taking you on - you will have the opportunity to invite agents to your shows and showcase at drama school.

I hope that is helpful rather than depressing :shock: