Agents and Agencies

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

ActingUp
Nominee

Agents and Agencies

Post by ActingUp »

I'm new here and I'm not sure whether this is the right place but I wondered if you could reccomend any agents/agencies to apply to for a teen girl with no professional experience. I'm often involed in school production but I'm not at a theatre school. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :D
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Re: Agents and Agencies

Post by Flosmom »

If you read through the Agencies thread you should find lots of advice that's helpful to you

http://www.notapushymum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=37

Good luck

Deb x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Hi Actingup

There is, as Deb says, lots of helpful information and debate on these threads and it's well worth browsing.

If you are unsure where to start though, you may want to consider these two books (second hand copies are often available very cheaply and libraries also sometimes have them).

Contacts published by Spotlight: lists pretty well every agency in the country, as well as lots of other things like photographers, TV companies, theatres etc.
Please note: just because an agent is listed in Contacts it does not mean that it is a good agency. Browse through the agency section on here as suggested to see what to look out for.

Actors' Year Book (comes out every year ;) ). This lists lots of agencies and also gives hints/information on how to approach them. It has lots of other contacts/information and a lot of interesting articles which can be very helpful for those starting out. If you don't want to pay for the latest copy, you can get older ones very cheaply on-line.

If you are interested in trying to make a living in the profession in the future you may also want to look at www.ncdt.co.uk which gives lots of useful information on post-18 training.

Recommending an agent is fraught with difficulty as there are so many variables and what works for one may not work for another. Avoid any agencies that charge up front fees and don't sign with an agent that doesn't interview you/audition you - they can't represent you properly if they don't know what you are capable of.
ActingUp
Nominee

Post by ActingUp »

Thanks :) I'll have a look-my drama teacher lent me a copy of spotlight but I wasn't sure where to start looking as the agencies weren't listen by location ](*,) Thanks again :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Where are you based (approximately!). ? As you probably know, most agents are in London - I would guess around 85 - 90% are either based in, or have an office in London or Greater London.

It doesn't take all that long to scan through - it's not as daunting as you might think if you are looking for agents outside London.
ActingUp
Nominee

Post by ActingUp »

I'm about 1-2h30 outside London and I can get there on the train very easily :)
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

If you are a young teen and you are hoping to get acting work, then try contacting children's agents but avoid any that have up front fees and prioritise those that audition/interview prospective clients.

If you are an older teen - well, it's likely to be tougher because you will be competing with independent/trained/young looking adults.

Also, there are lots of people on this forum (and elsewhere!) who have been taken on by agencies but still don't get any auditions/castings - so it's not an automatic route to work (good step though, if you want professional work).

Do make the most of every local opportunity you can - to be honest this is likely to give you far more in the way of performance opportunities.

Can I ask what kind of work you would be hoping for if you were successful in achieving agency representation?
ActingUp
Nominee

Post by ActingUp »

Anything really