What do we tell the school now dd with an agency

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Toffee
BRIT Award

What do we tell the school now dd with an agency

Post by Toffee »

I am hoping those of you with experience of agencies can advice me. My daughter has been accepted by Abacus recently. :D
We've signed the contract and had the spotlight photos done, so presumably it is possible that she may be put forward for auditions soon? She has just started at secondary school. I don't know what to say to the school. How likely is it that she will be getting auditions? The school day ends at 4pm and if we had to get her to London it would probably mean taking her out early which I don't think they would be too impressed about on a regular basis but probably OK if it was a couple of times a term. I feel I should say something but what?!
I know it is different for all children but what sort of number of auditions would be likely for a small 11yr old? Is it just impossible to say?
If any of you could share your experiences I'd be very grateful.
Thank you
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: What do we tell the school now dd with an agency

Post by pg »

My children did almost no professional work (as children) so I don't have much direct experience. I'm sure there will be other NAPM's with recent, relevant experience and advice to offer.

But then, when has that ever stopped me offering an opinion... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think unfortunately it IS impossible to say. You may find there is a bit of a flurry at the beginning as CDs call in a new face, but that's by no means certain either.

Although CDs will often try to schedule castings for after school, it is still likely to mean some school missed, so I would think you will have to bite the bullet and ask the school about it because you will need them on side and Abacus may struggle to keep your dd on if the school is totally unsupportive.

Don't forget that you can also turn auditions down. This is something you would need to discuss with your agent once you have been with them for a while. You wouldn't be very popular if you did it too regularly mind you. Castings for commercials (which tend to be last minute and also attended by very large numbers of auditionees) are a bit of a lottery and you may feel you don't want to go to them every time.

I can understand that you want to make plans and consider the "what ifs". Unfortunately, in this business, making plans is almost impossible and the "what ifs" seem infinite!
Toffee
BRIT Award

Post by Toffee »

Thank you pg for that. I have decided to write a letter to the head of year- stating the fact she has got an agent, and asking if they would talk to us about the implications -possibly leaving early to go to any auditions etc. I was looking at the school's website and noticed on the summer newsletter about the "old girls" it stated that one was in the west end in Top Hat. So that's positive!

Has anyone had any experience of a secondary school not supporting their child?
fairystarlet
BRIT Award

Post by fairystarlet »

Our secondary school does not support time off for acting/ modelling. They will not allow time off for auditions or for leaving early in order to catch a train into London!
We have gone in to speak to our headteacher and explained the situation and the benefits for our child.
The only thing that they agreed on was that if our child got the job and it was filming in school time then they would decide if it was 'worth it' and allow the time off.
However it was a definate no for time off for auditions.
So now we only go to 'late' auditions and we are very picky about which ones he goes to as we know the school will not allow him to take time off for a tvc, but they would consider a tv series. Really tricky.

Fortunately our junior school has been much more accepting, luckier for my younger kids!

Good luck x
fairystarlet
BRIT Award

Post by fairystarlet »

Oh and I forgot to say our school has a selection of kids out every year with Panto!!! which is acceptable :roll:
Toffee
BRIT Award

Post by Toffee »

Thank you fairystarlet. Interesting how different schools respond.
I will let you know what they say. I sent a letter yesterday.
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

I dont think it will be a problem, although we are based in South Wales. My dds school have been fantastic and we have to miss at least half a day to attend London audition. Also the school call dd out of lessons and after school to work on concerts and shows for the benefit of the school, so it works both ways !! Good luck im sure it will be fine. :lol:
Toffee
BRIT Award

Post by Toffee »

Thank you for all the advice.
The head of year 7 telephoned me yesterday and said they were happy for her to attend auditions and leave early if necessary, as long as it wasn't every day!
It is a relief that they are supportive. They also said if she were to get parts they would discuss with us how to help her keep up with her school work.
All has gone quiet since we sent the contract back so we just have to wait and see what happens.