Agency Problems

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

cellblocktango
BRIT Award

Agency Problems

Post by cellblocktango »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/has had similar problems than what I am currently experiencing.

I signed with a reasonably well known agency (who will remain nameless) a few months back. I was really excited as I haven't had any paid work before, so I wasn't even getting considered for an audition by most other agencies of that size. At the time, I was told getting certain stuff done would take a while, because of a backlog, which was fine. I also knew that I didn't have to pay my fees until until everything else was sorted, which was also fine. I was also told I'd be emailed the contract rather than posted, again, fine.

Within the first few weeks I was put forward for several big things (including a feature and one huge UK tv series) as a supporting artist. I also almost landed another small role. (I didn't ever have to audition for any of these- I should say) None of these were successful, which I was fine with as I know a lot of times things don't go through and people choose other kids etc, so I wasn't worried. I then paid my fees.

I then heard nothing for months. Until I emailed to remind the agency that I still hadn't received a contract. Then I was told it was all on the way and not to worry.

I still haven't heard anything, and this was a few weeks ago now.
I don't want to worry, because I fully understand that it gets very very busy, and I don't want to pester anyone, as like I said, I am very very grateful that I've been given the opportunity to even be represented, and have huge respect for them dealing with so many kids. I'm also very aware that this agency is well respected among sites like this. I think I just need to hear that it's all normal from someone other than the agency just for my own peace of mind... (my mother is oh so sceptical)

If anyone has any sort of experience with long waits with agencies please let me know, I'm not sure what to do next if it all stays silent.
Thanks guys!
"Did you know that real Warblers won’t sing alone?"
trigger1
BRIT Award

Re: Agency Problems

Post by trigger1 »

I cant help you with the contract aspect, but I can tell you not to worry about the audition drought. There are periods of the year when auditions are seemingly one after the other, and then there can be months and months without a single one, this is common when you're a child / teenage actor, as there is less of an age range you can play. I have a similar situation, I just joined a new agency at the start of the drought so I haven't been put up for anything yet. It's not the agency's fault though, they wont be doing it intentionally, after all, they want you to get jobs just as much as you do. Things will pick up so don't worry about that, it's perfectly normal. As for the contract, I don't know how to help you there :S sorry
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

cellblocktango wrote: I then paid my fees.
May I ask who you paid fees to? Was this your Spotlight fee?
You are well within your rights to pursue them about your contract - though many agents just have a letter of agreement setting out commission rates etc.

However busy an agent is, if they represent you, you need to be able to communicate with them. If they haven't done something they said they would do then they probably do need a polite, but firm, reminder. It's a business arrangement remember.
cellblocktango
BRIT Award

Post by cellblocktango »

Ok thank you guys!
I think i'll just stick it out for a while longer, and give it a chance to sort itself out. hopefully castings start appearing soon :/
"Did you know that real Warblers won’t sing alone?"