Fashion Mode London: Legit or Scam?

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

naomi
Nominee

Fashion Mode London: Legit or Scam?

Post by naomi »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any information on an agency called Fashion Mode London and if it's legit.

They had an ad on gumtree which I applied for and they sent back a reply asking me to come in for an interview.
I've tried looking around to see if anyone else mentions it as a scam and I couldn't really find any information
about them. I know there is a lot of scam "agencies" around so I'm very cautious.

Here's the email they sent:
We are very interested in your look but we need to see you personally.
After your interview we will see if you are suitable for any part time
modeling or acting jobs. No experience needed and we are pretty sure that
you can do this job if you are successful in the interview.

Please call us to book an appointment on 020-7225-3320.

We are open Monday to Saturday between 10am to 6pm.

If you have professional photos bring them with you. Otherwise a freelance
photographer will charge you just £10 for taking your whole test shoot (15
to 20 shots) and you will be directed by the photographer. No contract or
no registration fee. We look forward to meet you soon.
Dress code upon interview is smart/casual.

Regards

FASHION MODE LONDON
http://www.fashionmodeuk.com

Ground Floor
26 Old Brompton Road
chelsea, London SW7 3DL
I'm a bit concerned about this for a few of reasons.

1. The mention about paying £10 for professional photos.

2. The fact that they were advertising on gumtree.

3. Searching on googlemaps shows a few companies at that address. None of them called Fashion Mode London. There's a MajorModels there but their website is down. Another company listed there as Studio 26 is the same telephone number provided by Fashion Mode. Studio 26 has no website itself.

4. Some of the advice listed on the Fashion Mode London website sounds a bit odd. They mention that you shouldn't pay an agency for pictures, but in their email say I may have to pay for pictures. And in their "Saftey Tips" section they say:
Be wary of advertisements in local papers or online for models. Legitimate companies do not recruit in this way.
Yet they are advertising online for models. :S

5. Their website has some errors and just seems quite shoddy in parts.

So does anyone have any knowledge or advice about this company? Any help would be appreciated. :)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Fashion Mode London: Legit or Scam?

Post by paulears »

I found this Daily Mirror report on a scam agency who just happen to have the same phone number?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigation ... e-for.html
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Well spotted Paulears!

I think you are very wise to be suspicious about this naomi.

What kind of modelling are you interested in?

I would recommend looking through the advice on Storm's website: www.stormmodels.com

Decent agents are inundated with requests for representation. They do not need to advertise on Gumtree.
When I clicked on the link you gave, it took me to a different site (which seemed to be a sort of modelling event management company). I could not find the information you referred to about safety tips etc.

I would advise giving this a miss, because I think it will be a waste of your time and is quite likely to be a scam of some sort, but if you do go, keep your money in your pocket and ask lots of really searching questions (then report back ;) ) Don't pay them £10. Take some photos of your own with you (even if they are not professional). Ask them precisely what the photograph is for and what say you would have over the use of any photographs they take. If they have 300 people turn up who pay them £10, that's a nice little earner for a day's work taking digital photos. Ask them for evidence of their work etc. Don't sign anything and don't give them any money.
naomi
Nominee

Post by naomi »

Thanks for the replies. :)

That article was interesting and the bottom comment showing the other scams to use that address was interesting too. Good find. :)

Hmmm, you're right. It seems that since this morning the URL http://www.fashionmodeuk.com now goes to http://www.model-look.com, which has a completely different street address on the contact page but still says "Fashion Mode UK" when talking about themselves on the "Services" page. According to the Royal Mail Postcode Finder, the only company at the old address is London Investment Property Ltd. The new Model Look address has lots of companies listed there but none are Fashion Mode UK or Model Look.

Since I still have the old page open from last night I'll copy the "About" text to here, it'll have the safety tips and other stuff they listed. This will be a long one. :P
About Fashion Mode London
At Fashion Mode London we offer completely independent advice for aspiring models. Our experience covers every area of the industry, from catwalk and magazine to plus size and other speciality models.
Drawing on our extensive knowledge and contacts we will help you decide if modelling is right for you and, if so, how to establish yourself and progress your career. Modelling is not a suitable career for everybody and it can be a difficult one. There are many potential pitfalls and there is no guarantee of success. But with the right guidance you can avoid these and for those people it is hugely rewarding, whether as a full-time profession or a lucrative part-time job.
We maximise your chances by explaining how to present yourself, helping you to make contacts and, ultimately, teaching you how to land those all-important contracts and placements.

Our team
Everyone at International Model Advice is a skilled professional in their field with many years experience throughout the fashion industry. We come from around the world and have worked in TV, film, print and at fashion shows around the globe. Our stylists
and make-up artists not only make you look fantastic but also offer simple tips and advice on how to present yourself all the time.

Becoming model
IMA Shoot Days give you an unforgettable genuine model experience. Our skilled team of stylists and photographers give you a real and invaluable taste of what it is like to be a model. Using our extensive experience in the industry we not only ensure that you look stunning but we give you advice on posture and poise. Then our world class photographers teach you how to come alive in front of the camera. And throughout the day we give you vital advice about how to contact agencies and secure freelance work on your own. After attending one of our days, many have learned so much that they are able to acquire freelance modelling work right away.

Preparing for your model shoot
There are some important things you should do to prepare for any photo shoot. Many of these might seem like common sense, but it's important to follow them:
* Ensure you are well rested and feel fresh. Do not go out or have a late night the day before a photo shoot. Make-up can disguise most blemishes and obvious signs of fatigue, but it cannot give you energy or bring tired facial muscles alive... and this is as much a part of looking beautiful on camera as having great skin and features!
Practise your poses and expressions. One of the main barriers to looking great on camera is feeling self-conscious so you should feel comfortable with the stylised poses required for model work. It does not matter how naturally beautiful you are – you must feel it and believe it if you are to look beautiful.
Have a look through fashion magazines and watch some catwalk shows and programs like Britain's Next Top Model to see how professional models carry themselves and hold their facial expressions, then emulate them in the mirror until they feel natural. You will not have a mirror in front of you at the shoot so you should try to be comfortable with them already.
Don't worry if you feel a little self-conscious at first, that's natural. And when you arrive at the day we are here to give you all the confidence, tips and advice you need.
Bring 6-7 outfits in a variety of styles, including classy, casual, evening and lingerie (if you wish). Be sure to bring a selection of matching shoes and accessories too and have a variety of underwear in different colours to match to your clothes.
Do not wear a lot of make-up and be sure your hair is clean and product-free. Our team will take care of these things and it is quicker and easier for both you and us to start with a blank canvas.

Types of modelling
One of the misconceptions about modelling is that you have to be one of the most beautiful people in the world to do it, but there are a variety of types of modelling and each requires different characteristics and looks. Some examples include fashion, commercial (advertising), glamour, classic (mature), real/extras plus-size and petite modelling, and each of these call for different ages, facial types, heights and body shapes. In the case of extras or real modelling the important factor is often looking normal!
Our expertise allows us to suggest the best route for you.

Safety tips
Never sign a contract without reading and understanding it first. Ideally get somebody experienced and impartial to read it over for you. You should never feel pressured into anything. Remember you can always say 'no'.
Nobody can promise you success so do not trust anybody that does.
Steer clear of companies with no address or contact number or those who only have a P.O. Box address.
Be wary of advertisements in local papers or online for models. Legitimate companies do not recruit in this way.
Always do your research about an agency before signing to them.
Do not trust companies that tell you they have work for you but that you need to pay them for portfolio pics to get it.

Never pay an agency to be put on their books. Legitimate agencies make money by getting their models work, not by charging their models.

How to Look Better Quickly and Cheaply
It is not hard to look great and you can improve your appearance drastically in a few days. Here is how to look better than you have for a long time without spending much time or money.
1.First sleep 10 hours a night. This gives your body a chance to refresh, repair, and be at its physical and mental best. Lack of sleep makes your mind slow, your eyes baggy, and you look quite bad many times.
2.Consider elevating your head if you can when you sleep because it will help prevent bags under your eyes when you wake up.
3.Stand up straight. This will instantly make you look thinner, more confident, and lighter. Make sure to think about your posture hourly and correct it until it becomes second nature.
4.Look at your face washing routine. Most of us could look better if we streamlined it and eliminated the rough exfoliating scrubs.
5.Make sure to drink plenty of walker, at least 8 ounces a day. This will help keep your skin clear and your body hydrated and energetic.
6.Eat all of your vegetables. They provide many nutrients that will help get you looking younger and keep you looking young.
7.Massage your scalp when you get up in the morning. It will help calm you and set you in a positive mood for the day (which makes you instantly look better) and it will help put body in your hair.
8.Put on a fruity or flowery fragrance. Men and women are attracted to sweet smells in most cases and if they are attracted to you
they will instantly think you look great..

Taking Care of your self
Nowadays, designers are not looking for only scrawny models, they are also looking for glamorous healthy and fit looks:
Keep your skin free from blemishes and keep it glowing
Healthy and shiny hair is also important.
Being fit is equally important. This means you will probably have to be guided by a trainer.

What kind of model you aspire to become
Remember, there are many types of model. Even if you don’t fit the runway model look you could potentially model in diferent ways:
Plus size model: one needs a full as well as curvaceous body for this
Runway Model: most of the women in this category are 5”8 or above, small breated and skinny. The men need to be between 5”11 and 6”2.
Print Model: you need to have a beautiful face and a charming personality and you need to be at least 5”7.
Underwear model: women require big breasts but a tiny waist and men need to have small waist but broad shoulders.
Other types: if you do not seem to fall in any of these categories, then you can be a
hair, foot or a hand model.

Portfolios and Agencies
Taking snapshots: this does not mean outrageous photographs of you and your friend’s circle. Take a close up picture of yourself but make sure you do not overdo the makeup and make sure that you have a plain background. Shoot these pictures in natural light. These pictures are required by the agencies to take a look at you in your raw state.
Professional shots: you can also take some professional help even if it a tad bit expensive but this kind of photography will give you a clearer picture as to how you want to look. See this as an investment as you will need some professional shots to clear through
an interview.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

That's interesting.

a) Fashion Mode London seem to have cut and paste this from IMA (whoever they are) and possibly from other sites too?

b) IMA is obviously not an agency

c) Some of the advice shown here (specifically the safety tips) is very good but I don't see how it corresponds to the "photo shoot" information that precedes it. I don't see how they can be from the same source! The photo shoot information looks as if it from one the "how to be a model" companies. Or: "pay us lots of money to take unnecessary photos of you and then you can take these to legitimate agencies who will tell you you don't need them - but by then we will have banked your money". In other words, exactly the sort of company the safety tips warn against...
naomi
Nominee

Post by naomi »

I think the IMA might refer to www.internationalmodelagency.co.uk who are themselves a scam according to this http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=530980
So a scam copying from a scam.

Yeah the advice seems to be from different places and even warns about companies doing what they are doing themselves. Maybe they should read what they copy. :P

All in all this company just screams scam. Oh well, just have to keep trying other agencies.

Thanks for your help. :)