Need Advice on something...

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

trigger1
BRIT Award

Need Advice on something...

Post by trigger1 »

I just recently signed with a new agent, and although it's been 2 weeks (tomorrow) I have yet to receive my first audition through them. Now I know this isn't something to worry about but let me first explain why.
1) I'm only with the agent provisionally, i.e. until my first job. So I'm still in a sort of zone where I feel I'm not really on their radar.
2) I know auditions are few and far between but when I asked the head of the agency and the agent I'm with how many auditions their clients get, I was shocked when they said 1 a week (it's an adult/older teen agency so I know many younger people may not get anywhere near that much so the age difference may explain it.
3) Since I had my last meeting, I've seen castings for 2 parts on Scallywags that I could try for, and have recently seen a further 2 more, and it leaves me wondering, if they all get the same casting calls, why I'm not put forward when I match some of these roles almost exactly.
4) I don't want to apply directly to avoid ticking off the agent.
5) Similarly, as I'm only provisionally signed up, I'm hesitant to email them and ask about it.

Can anyone give me advice? It's only because normally I'd apply for these roles myself, but now I cant because I don't want to annoy the agent. Any ideas?
tikka
GRAMMY Award

Re: Need Advice on something...

Post by tikka »

WOW, :lol: Gosh, I'm curious to know who this wonderful agent is who expects to send you to an audition every week. Can you let me know please (pm if you don't want to go public)

I don't think its too unreasonable to wait a month and then phone and ask how its going.

Hope you get the break you are expecting.

tikka
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I also dont think it's unreasonable to source your own jobs, if they are not sourcing any for you!
You may have to pay them a commission even though you sourced it( check your contract) but a job's a job where ever it comes from!
dS has had some excellent jobs sourced by myself .....
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

You need to be able to ask the agent if you want to know something. Try to have a one-off conversation (perhaps via email) where you ask about letting them know about opportunities you have spotted and how/whether they would like to bring them to their attention. You need to be able to trust your agent, but that means being able to have honest conversations with them without pestering them. If you know how they prefer to work, you have a better chance of a good working relationship with them.

How do you know that you have not been submitted for these roles you would be perfect for? If they are freely available to view it is very, very likely (well-nigh certain) that your agent knows all about them and has already submitted you for the roles. CD's get hundreds, sometimes thousands of submissions from agents and individuals. If you were "perfect" for the roles, have an honest think about how many others (possibly with more experience) may also have been perfect for them. CDs will often only call in a handful - auditions are not always the kind where hundreds are seen. I've been for TV auditions where CDs have only seen three actors for a minor role.

I think one audition a week would be unusual... Sometimes though, you can get three or four in one week and none at all for the next 6 months. Once a week would, for someone starting out, be a very high number, so if I were you I wouldn't dwell on that (and if I were an agent, I would have told you that your question was impossible to answer).

Definitely look for work yourself - every actor needs to do this whether represented or not - but let your agent know what you are doing and usually I would advise not applying for something without checking first with your agent. You need to have that initial conversation about how you communicate about jobs you find out about. If they are anything to do with the Spotlight Link then it is pretty certain your agent already knows and will have submitted you.
Rachel_M
GRAMMY Award

Post by Rachel_M »

Could I ask the name of this agency? You could PM me if you don't want to post it here for the world to see! :)