Agency question

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

HK1
BRIT Award

Agency question

Post by HK1 »

Hi all,

Is it commonplace for agencies to request a "house style" style of photography, all with their own photographers? I am worried that I might be paying someone who's not actually a professional as they never gave me a full name/website.

I have already paid for another shoot prior to the agency one but they still said they wanted a "house style"...tried to look on the search engine but all were "too common" so hope somebody has answers!

Thanks!
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Re: Agency question

Post by sapphire »

A lot of agencies do tend to use the same headshot photographer ... a quick scan of client lists on agency websites will confirm this. It is a bit of a pain if you have just had headshots done though! Re. how good the photographer is, what do you think of the headshots on the agency website?
trigger1
BRIT Award

Post by trigger1 »

I cant offer any ideas on not giving you name or website, but agencies do tend to have certain photographers and styles they prefer. I just signed with an agency who wanted me to have a photo that was "outdoors and relaxed", and sent me a link to the website of their favourite photographer. So agencies are picky on this, you should ask if the ones you have are good enough or do you absolutely need new ones? You could say you only just had a shoot so paying for another would be a bit annoying.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would be very, very wary of going to a photographer linked to an agency - this can be a scam and an agent will be well aware that there have often been such scams operated (i.e the agent gets money from the photographer for sending clients their way).

It is certainly very common (and entirely reasonable) for an agent to recommend a photographer, but you should be free to choose to go elsewhere. It is also common and reasonable (and useful) for the agent to advise on the sort of photograph they think will sell you best . I would always take an agent's view into consideration, after all it is their job to "market" you.

I think you need to use your common sense and discuss it openly with your agent if you have any doubts. It's fine for an agent to insist on good photographs and make recommendations for photographers and tell you what sort of photo they think will be useful, it's very dubious if you are given no choice of photographer.
HK1
BRIT Award

Post by HK1 »

Hi Sapphire and PG, thank you for the advice, I have since spoken to my agent and it seems I should go for her recommendation. I really appreciate your help :D

Trigger I believe we might have the same agent...did they suggest you wear "funky clothing?"

Thanks!
trigger1
BRIT Award

Post by trigger1 »

No they didnt mention clothing, just outside and relaxed :) luckily my girlfriend is a photographer so instead of payin for the other photographer, she just copied the style and produced similar looking ones :)