northern agents

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

di47
BRIT Award

northern agents

Post by di47 »

Hi can anyone help. My daughter has been with a north east agent for a few years now. She has had a role in a very poplular cbbc drama over the last three years but apart from that she has had hardly any other castings even though the filming for the series is only for 10 weeks or so. When I ask her agent she says there is plenty of work out there but she is just not getting called in. Im wondering if its because she has a northern agent and not a london based one. The agent is saying no but she would ! I know there are alot put forward for castings when they come up so casting directors have there pick so I would imagine they would go for more well know agencys. I would of thought given the role she has been doing she would of at least been called in. She is hoping to at some point move to London but it is so expensive there she will need a good casting in order to get there. She is over 18. Thanks.
fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

Re: northern agents

Post by fizzycandy123 »

I have the same problem I've been with my agency for three years now and only had one audition that I got myself even thoughiI am trying very hard I never see to get anything.It's amazing though that she's had that role maybe if your agency is not sole you could try to get multiple agencies to increase her chances.x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

If she is now over 18 then she is in competition with huge numbers of people. I don't think multiple agents is the answer, but seeing whether a different, higher profile agent will take her on may be worthwhile.

I'm not sure really that there is "plenty of work out there". I would suggest that your dd asks the agent for a list of every thing she has been put up for. If any of this is high profile work, then she might be able to see who was cast (by doing some internet research) - that will then give her an indication of the sort of experience and background of the successful actors.

Does she have a showreel?
di47
BRIT Award

Post by di47 »

No she doesn't have a showreel yet but knows she needs one.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

Top Talent have lots of success with both their kids and adults - they have a Manchester branch now - might be worth a try?
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I don't know whether you have come across "An Actors' Guide to Getting Work" by Simon Dunmore and/or "Actors' Yearbook". They both give a reasonable overview of the industry and might be helpful to you. Actors' Yearbook also lists various agents (as does Contacts, of course).

The market place is unbelievably crowded for young adults - so equipping yourself with knowledge about the industry is likely to be helpful. Learning about how and where everything is cast may help you/your dd to decide what your next step should be - whether that's training, relocation, new agent or something else.

It is extraordinarily difficult to get through the door of a Casting Director (if you are not already known) without the right combination of good agent/good CV/good showreel - and, to some extent, - good timing. Getting a good agent as an adult is sometimes easier if you've trained on an accredited course (though that holds no guarantees and good agents do pick untrained talent too).

Getting work is probably harder as an adult than as a child actor because there are so many adult actors and CDs are less inclined to look for untried/untrained/unknown talent amongst adult performers.

I would certainly recommend trying to get a showreel cut from her broadcast performances - and then reaching out to some higher profile agents. There are quite a few agents with dual bases (e.g. Manchester/London) - they might be good ones to start with. Was the CD for the cbbc drama a Northern based CD?

Another good thing to aim for is to get in to a play in a mainstream theatre or good Fringe theatre venue - that way you can invite agents and CDs to come and see you perform.
di47
BRIT Award

Post by di47 »

I think the casting director was cath Willis not sure Were she is based. I think a London/Manchester agent might be best. her present agent says she gets the same work as London agents but Im not so sure.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I don't think it is likely that the North East agent gets the same jobs as the top tier agents - as I am not aware of any top tier agents based in the North East. It is, however, perfectly reasonable of your dd's agent to say that they get the same information as some London agents - that's very likely to be true.

Catherine Willis is London based.

It depends on the relationship that the agent has with CDs. Some agents will have great relationships with all the CDs that cast prestigious roles. They can often convince CDs to see new clients.

Lots of jobs go straight from CD to agent - not via a breakdown. The CD knows who they want to see and goes to the agent representing that actor; or they go to the agents they trust and ask for suggestions for specific roles. In other cases the CD will send the breakdowns to their preferred agents and ask for submissions - that could be quite a short list of agents or it could be a long one.

Your dd's agent may well have good relationships with some CDs and not others. He/she will also get the breakdowns that get sent to "all agents" of course - but that's only a small proportion of jobs.

I would try to get a good showreel together and then try applying to various agents - though I would do some careful research in to the agencies before applying. It could also be worthwhile trying to get in to some good Fringe venues in Manchester and inviting agents (and CDs) to performances.