Notice to Agent

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

GreaseIstheWord
BRIT Award

Notice to Agent

Post by GreaseIstheWord »

Hi All. Not been on here for ages!! My DD has been with an agent for 6 months and not had one casting/audition through them. Although 6 months doesn't sound long, with her previous agent she was going for auditions every few weeks. Her current agent is a large agency with many kids on their books and I sometimes wonder if all kids that fit a brief can be submitted if there are many. Subsequently I have researched and applied to a few other agencies. Some did not reply, some said their books weren't yet open but would keep her details on file and others asked for a self tape/meeting. I have found her an adult agency with a small childrens division, based in London, who have said they would love to represent her as when we met with them they found her to be charming, personable and she performed an extremely good monolgue. My DD liked the agent (not that you can always tell!) but they did come across as genuine - can use own photographer, no upfront costs for website or anything, charge 20% commission, only have around 20 children of different ages, have some recognisable adult actors. So I am in a dilemma as to change and if I do change what do I tell her current agent. I have emailed her current agent previously to get an idea as to why they think she's not getting castings and they say number of credits, but she has at least 11 professional credits on her Spotlight page. That may not sound like many to some people, but some children have none?? So is it her credits or is she not being submitted for castings or is she just not what the CD's are looking for??? Another reason for wanting to change is that they did say they had submitted her for 2 castings yet I found out at a later date that they actually had not - which made me and my DD very cross. We changed to her current agent for genuine reasons to do with training schools, not something I wanted to do as they were fab but DD didn't want to move schools. Anyway, should we stay or should we go??? And if we go, what reason should I give current agent?? Not sure if tied in to a contract for a certain time as can't see in Terms & Conditions of notice required but if she's not getting castings/auditions then she's not making them any money so there's no reason not to release her. Any advice is welcome as I just want to her to be with an agent that will know her and promote her for her talent and not think of her as a commodity (not that she is at present).
pg
OSCAR Award

Re: Notice to Agent

Post by pg »

By all means change agencies if you believe they have better connections and that your communication with them will be better. It's often a bit of a gamble, changing agents, but I think you have to take your best guess (following research) and go with what feels instinctively right.

In terms of giving notice, there is no need to fret about that. If there is no notice period in the terms and conditions then you can point that out to them if they try to tie you in to a notice period. Just write a polite letter explaining that you are moving on and thanking them for their work on your dd's behalf. You don't have to give reasons. They might ask you why - and then it's up to you whether or not you tell them. A bland "we think this agency may be a better fit" would do. You don't need to get drawn in to a discussion.

People move agencies all the time. :)
GreaseIstheWord
BRIT Award

Re: Notice to Agent

Post by GreaseIstheWord »

Thank you PG - I have decided to move on and given notice-you were right, didn't need a reason. Thanks again :)