Auditioning for 2022 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Harry2003 »

I thought I’d start this thread now. It’s coming round fast. I shall be looking at UCAS forms over the summer with my DS and putting together the information for entries. Spreadsheet time is coming up!

Wishing all audition candidates and their parents all the very best of luck.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2022 entry

Post by Proseccoplease »

Can’t believe it’s time for me to join this thread! Seems like yesterday I was looking at children’s audition threads. DS has his mind firmly set on a selection so can already foresee tears and disappointment! Good luck all-here we go…
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

It will be my daughters turn this year too! Not sure I've posted on here since Charlie and Choc Factory auditions! She's firmly set on 2 but is still only 16 so is happy to do a foundation year if needed after A levels. Will be fantastic to have the support of this forum! Although it's still a while off, good luck everyone!
Elysée69
BRIT Award

Post by Elysée69 »

Hello...my DD will be auditioning this year. She was offered EDA sixth form and Conti Diploma with Dada for 21 entry but we decided at only just 16 she was too young. Conti have deferred her place but we are hoping to try for degree at the schools who take them at 17 as more financially viable. Looking forward with trepidation to the journey.
josegirl
BRIT Award

Post by josegirl »

Hi !
So this will be my DD second year of auditions as she didnt accept the offers she got this year , she decided she wanted to try again for her first choices . Just wondering when is the ‘best ‘ time to audition . All of hers this year were end of Jan onwards , so wondering if should get some in earlier ?
Here’s to the start of another stressful and eventful year ! Good to everyone DC 🍀
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

We went through the ringer in December 2019 and DD got a place a Read for the sixth form OCR extended diploma. So it seems a very fast two years to be looking at degree auditions now.
She has been advised she should be applying for the Triple Threat courses and college have suggested that probably her best chances are Urdang, Conti and PPA, but she should also consider Bird, GSA, Mountview and Arts Ed.
Having entered Read as an actor singer who could dance a bit, she is delighted that they think she showing promise (enough for degree auditions) to be triple threat.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Can't believe we're practically at the end of our audition journey (with DD off to ArtsEd in a couple of months) and you are all about to start yours already! Be prepared for a bumpy but exciting ride!
There is really no easy answer to the best time to audition and this year will be very different from last year no doubt. However, DD tried to do some earlier and some later. Her first was one which demanded a lot of preparation in terms of audition material and she chose it deliberately so that she'd need to be organised early but not one she wanted to go to (at least not in her top three). Getting a recall felt very positive early on, Then her second was a top choice and she got an early offer (mid January) which meant she could relax knowing she had a great affordable degree offer in the bag. Her top two were next and by then she was experienced with recording and submitting material and felt confident when recalled for Zoom sessions and interviews. She thinks this would have been mirrored in face to face auditions. She got offers from both of those and from further auditions. She does think it's better to audition earlier for the smaller colleges (Mountview, ArtsEd) as they give places as they go along and places are like golddust. The larger colleges Perfomers, Bird - it seemed to matter less when you audition. Urdang also appeared to "run out" of places but also give fewer outright places early on. DD was very lucky. The other benefit of auditioning early is your child may know sooner where they are going and can organise accommodation more easily. The downside of course is earlier upset if not successful. But - there seems to be enough good college places for everyone who really wants to go off and train and is prepared to put the work in.
Good luck to all of you and your DC. Keep a decent stock of wine within easy reach! And come to this wonderful site for great mutual support :)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I think it depends on the young person to some extent.

My daughter auditioned early. She auditioned at 16 and wanted her auditions to be over as much as possible before GCSE mocks and revision classes. This would be a consideration for those doing A levels too.

Ds on the other hand is doing a Btec in music and I’d prefer his Uni auditions to be later in order to give him the most preparation time.
josegirl
BRIT Award

Post by josegirl »

Thank you for responses :D
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

DS auditioned in the middle I think - around December and January (although some of those were postponed). It seemed to work well as he had an offer in his back pocket before Christmas. He didn't want auditions to clash with mock exams (obviously that decision was made before the Jan- March lockdown) so I would probably advise that whatever your DC does, s/he avoids mock exams at school so it has minimum impact on these. Who knows whether mocks will be taken into account next year, so it's best to do well. DS had plenty of offers and in the end cancelled the 2nd audition at Urdang, but that took weeks and people weren't hearing from Urdang for weeks after that. All very stressful. This was my 2nd time (he auditioned for diploma 2 years ago but decided to stay and do A levels) so this time around was less stressful. BUT online auditions take hours and hours of filming, so if they are online you will need to account for that in your timing. DS deleted around 300 videos of various audition pieces!!!! The very best of luck to you and fingers crossed for lots and lots of offers!!!!
Excitingtimes
Nominee

Post by Excitingtimes »

Best of luck to everyone, my DD starts her degree in MT in September but boy has it been an emotional journey. She got her audition tapes in Dec/ Jan time. My advice would be get the tapes checked by a teacher if possible before submitting. Get prepared with the personal statement. Be prepared for the agonising wait and be prepared to pay a deposit to hold an offer and then walk away from it if a more preferred offer comes in, as you get around 2 weeks to accept or decline. Good luck 🤞
Pinkstargazer12
BRIT Award

Post by Pinkstargazer12 »

Hello everyone, jumping on here as my daughter will also be auditioning for 2022 entry. She’s currently at sixth form studying A Levels but set on a MT degree course. She has a list of her top 5 and has started looking at entry requirements. Any advice will be very much appreciated, especially any spreadsheets with deadlines etc.
Good luck all, it’s going to be quite the ride!
Dancersmum1
Nominee

Post by Dancersmum1 »

Jumping on the post my DD is auditioning this year for Diploma courses, she has decided where she wants to audition and we are in the process of compiling a list of all the different photos she needs, I’m concerned my camera skills might not be up to it!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Dancersmum1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am Jumping on the post my DD is auditioning this year for Diploma courses, she has decided where she wants to audition and we are in the process of compiling a list of all the different photos she needs, I’m concerned my camera skills might not be up to it!
All the best of luck to her and all others auditioning this year for 2022 entry! My daughter recently went through the video audition process and has just started at Urdang. If you can, buy her a basic tripod that holds her phone. This will let her record herself and take all her own pictures. That will save you from the ‘mum, you haven’t done it right’ conversation which we had before she could do them herself.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I am back joining this auditioning thread. Daughter got a degree offer that we were all set to take and then 3.5 weeks ago got an email from a 'bigger' name offering her foundation. She has decided to do that instead.