Actor Musician courses help

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

PrittiPasha
BRIT Award

Actor Musician courses help

Post by PrittiPasha »

Hi there, just wondered if anyone has experience of any Actor Musician courses, that I could chat to about what is needed in terms of the instrument/s needed and levels etc? I am planning ahead for daughter who is a MT performer but started playing guitar and seems to be quite good at it. TIA💕
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Re: Actor Musician courses help

Post by MTDreams »

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't have any direct experience with these courses. I do know that GSA, Mountview and Rose Bruford run an Actor Musician course. Not sure of where else...My DD has a couple of friends who have been offered places on one of these courses after auditioning for a straight MT degree because they have mentioned in their personal statement that they play an instrument. I think they were both grade 6 or above. When we went to an open day at GSA the MT student showing us around couldn't speak highly enough of the actor musicians! I would recommend you and your DD go and watch the 3rd year shows so she can see what she thinks. :)
PrittiPasha
BRIT Award

Post by PrittiPasha »

Hi MT Dreams, thanks so much for the response and very useful info. Interesting that the ones who were doing straight MT got offers. My dd plays guitar and sings, as well as acts, and I wondered if that is enough as saw in an online video of a show that lots played violin and keyboards too. Such a great idea to go and watch one of their shows, I will see if we can.
Thank you x
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

My DD is at RCS on the MT course but it’s quadruple threat so in addition to singing, dancing and acting they also study music/ music performance so have actor/musician training too. It’s a fairly unique course. She plays the guitar but is also learning a second instrument with top notch music tutors from the conservatoire. They don’t need to be a hugely high standard ( add was grade 3 acoustic guitar) but an ability to read music and have some idea about music theory is necessary. It’s very competitive to get in( only 18 places) but might be worth a shot if your DD is also trained in MT. Another bonus is it’s on UCAS so funding is the usual student finance.
PrittiPasha
BRIT Award

Post by PrittiPasha »

That's brilliant info Nickinoo, thanks so much. What is RCS again? Royal College of something maybe😊
She's only still young so plenty of time to get the theory and sight reading to a good standard. She is also a triple threat with weaker dance. Could be a good option.
Do you know what kind of performances are they able to do with an instrument as well as MT training. Are they more employable I wonder🤔
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

RCS is Royal Conservatoire Scotland
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

There are lots of actor/must MT shows around at the moment.

The recentish tour of Fame, Hull Trucks The Hired Man, Southwark Playhouse The Last Five Years, Bandstand on Broadway, Hadestown & Once are a few off the top of my head.
PrittiPasha
BRIT Award

Post by PrittiPasha »

Brilliant thanks Island of Sodor.
Interesting about those shows😊