What size is First Year Diploma/Degree for the various colleges?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: What size is First Year Diploma/Degree for the various colleges?

Post by islandofsodor »

One of dh's students went to Bristol Old Vic but it was about 10 years ago.

I think their numbers are very small. I've got 12 in my head and equal male and female (she got in on her 2nd attempt). But I may be wrong.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 am One of dh's students went to Bristol Old Vic but it was about 10 years ago.

I think their numbers are very small. I've got 12 in my head and equal male and female (she got in on her 2nd attempt). But I may be wrong.
I went to BOV 27 years ago (things might have changed :D). It was 15 on the 3 year Diploma (now degree) 10 boys and 5 girls. 5 on the 1 year post grad and 10 on the 2 year mature course. All coming together for the grad shows.
I can’t believe I’m now watching my youngest DD take the same path! I can’t help thinking that there is an advantage to small year groups but equally in a large cohort you get a sense of the ruthless competition you face in the real world.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

I think Urdang degree atm 110-115 plus diploma
Performers said they're expecting 150/180 final numbers in Essex as it has increased from about 90. They have built extra studios to accommodate this I am told.
Laine are about 80
Bird is over 100 but unsure on actual figures I think someone mentioned 195 with degree and diploma combined figures.
Wilkes I think 80? But the colleges can't increase the degree student intake until the third year of the course up and running so as someone mentioned that may now increase next year...particularly as they've told some potential students they are full.

I would also bear in mind some lose a few in the first term....that's quite normal.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

StartingLate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm Thanks all. That is food for thought.

Re Performers, that is 180/190 in Essex campus? With a separate intake in Birmingham also?
How does first year work with so many students? I presume there are a few groups within the year group, are they streamed by class or just mixed ability groups?

Anybody got input on first year size (dance) for Laine, Bird, Urdang, Bodyworks?
(Or any college, as I'm sure this will be useful info for other parents also)
Quite usual for them to stream for ballet and tap (tap - because less do it so the difference in ability is more obvious)
I believe Bird, Performers stream this way.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Stayingcalm wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:22 am
islandofsodor wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 am One of dh's students went to Bristol Old Vic but it was about 10 years ago.

I went to BOV 27 years ago (things might have changed :D). It was 15 on the 3 year Diploma (now degree) 10 boys and 5 girls. 5 on the 1 year post grad and 10 on the 2 year mature course. All coming together for the grad shows.
I can’t believe I’m now watching my youngest DD take the same path! I can’t help thinking that there is an advantage to small year groups but equally in a large cohort you get a sense of the ruthless competition you face in the real world.
It's 28 now on their BA Acting. I came across it on their FAQ when searching for something else.

https://www.oldvic.ac.uk/about-us/faqs/

Undergraduate Courses
Acting (UK):
BA Hons (3 years) – up to 28 students
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

lawn wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:31 pm
Stayingcalm wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:22 am

It's 28 now on their BA Acting. I came across it on their FAQ when searching for something else.

https://www.oldvic.ac.uk/about-us/faqs/

Undergraduate Courses
Acting (UK):
BA Hons (3 years) – up to 28 students
Thanks for this Lawn. I suppose it was to be expected that their numbers would grow. Relative to other colleges I guess this is still a small year group and BOV has still maintained an excellent reputation despite the increase.
Mrsmoby
Nominee

Post by Mrsmoby »

PPA (performance preparation academy) has 48-54 split into 3 classes for the MT degree less for acting sorry can’t remember how many it was though
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Mrsmoby wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pm PPA (performance preparation academy) has 48-54 split into 3 classes for the MT degree less for acting sorry can’t remember how many it was though
Acting - 32 (2 groups of 16)

Foundations they do (MT & Acting) 24-30 on each course