What size is First Year Diploma/Degree for the various colleges?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

StartingLate
BRIT Award

What size is First Year Diploma/Degree for the various colleges?

Post by StartingLate »

Could people help me with research regards the amount of students in first year Dance/MT Diploma and Degree at the various colleges? Some colleges sound huge!

It will probably be handy info for other parents too, especially since online auditions meant many of us have not visited college campus.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: What size is First Year Diploma/Degree for the various colleges?

Post by islandofsodor »

Hammond Diploma is approx 30-35 students. Not sure about degree. Think it’s a bit more.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Trinity Laban MT degree 50 students per year (that info was given to us as correct on an open day in Dec 2019)
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

We had a tour of Performers yesterday and we were told that their maximum for the MT & Dance degree this year’s September entry is 200. They are expecting the final numbers to be between 180 to 190.
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Thanks all. That is food for thought.

Re Performers, that is 180/190 in Essex campus? With a separate intake in Birmingham also?
How does first year work with so many students? I presume there are a few groups within the year group, are they streamed by class or just mixed ability groups?

Anybody got input on first year size (dance) for Laine, Bird, Urdang, Bodyworks?
(Or any college, as I'm sure this will be useful info for other parents also)
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

StartingLate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm Thanks all. That is food for thought.

Re Performers, that is 180/190 in Essex campus? With a separate intake in Birmingham also?
How does first year work with so many students? I presume there are a few groups within the year group, are they streamed by class or just mixed ability groups?

Anybody got input on first year size (dance) for Laine, Bird, Urdang, Bodyworks?
Sorry I should have specified. That’s the intake for the Essex campus. The Birmingham campus will have 50 we were told yesterday. Their campus is huge with 22 studios over 3 buildings with good outdoor space. I believe Ballet and Tap are streamed. My daughter really liked the feel there yesterday. Even though it’s a big school she didn’t feel lost. To her she said she got a family vibe there.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

StartingLate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm Thanks all. That is food for thought.

We were told that for the first 2yrs they have to keep numbers small but can increase it in 3rd year, this current year is the 3rd year for the Performers degree which is why the numbers jumped so much. Wilkes is only in the first year of the degree so only has around 80 students but I would guess this will also jump in a couple of years. As mentioned below about studio space at Performers though, they have to make sure/expand to accommodate the increase in numbers.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Bodyworks is a small cohort.. when my dd was there, it was around 30, who then split into MT strand or Dance strand..15 in each x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Laine is usually around 75 per year group. The current 2nd year is a bigger year with around 95 but the current 1st year is around 65-70.

In addition there are usually around 20ish on the foundation course.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

GSA takes around 40, usually equal amount of M/F.
I do think that any establishments that can, will take more in future though.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Urdang has around 110 on degree and 30 on diploma . Classes are taught separetely but they come together for shows.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

ArtsEd have told DD 50 - but stretch to 52 - half boys and half girls - but there is closer to 60 in their current first year as they took in more boys.
Emil Dale is similar -around 50 currently on the chat. About a third boys and two thirds girls. For their BTEC we'd been told no more than 43 but DD's year started with 48 - so I'm not sure if they stick to their numbers.
Friend who has been teaching at Laine very recently said they are wanting to cap at 60 this year. Maybe they're assuming nearly everyone needs funding (which is possible!) and if they don't get it will decline their place.
Heard there were fewer boys auditioning everywhere this year than in previous years so balance of year groups might be different to normal. (Obviously not everyone falls into those two gender categories.)
It does seem that the MT training baby is growing. Including more MA and MFA courses. No idea how they'll all get performing jobs - but that's not a worry at the moment! They need to enjoy the next stage of their training wherever that may be. Good luck to them all! :)
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Thanks everyone.
I’ll update my spreadsheet with these numbers!

DD has decided to wait anoth 2 years and reapply, and will use the time to do research and hopefully some visits for intensives or open days meanwhile.
My spreadsheet will be useful for quite some time yet 😊
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

My DD is first year MT at RCS. Very small cohort- just 18- half male and female. I think there are a few more in the year above her but it’s usually 18.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

This thread is going to be really useful for people, thanks for starting it.

Though most on here have children wishing to study MT, for the occasional parent on here (like me) who has a child wanting to do the straight acting courses, the intake figures are nothing like some of them mentioned. I'm reading some of the above info with the combined emotions of gosh and I wish -lol.

I haven't found the info easy to find on websites. So far, I've only come across Alra's numbers (36) in their FAQ. I believe BOV is far lower. When she starts I'll update daughter's college details with figures here and include MT numbers if I can too.