Foundation course 18yo UC and child related benefits

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Foundation course 18yo UC and child related benefits

Post by lawn »

My just 18yo daughter is going to be going on a foundation year later this year, privately funded. I know there's been discussions in the past about how when Universal Credit came in to an area that took away the help towards rent as housing benefit could no longer be paid.

A browse round a Government website and I discover this from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-c ... d-students

You may also be able to get Universal Credit if you’re studying in full-time non-advanced education, you do not get a student loan or maintenance grant and you are available for work. If the course is more than 12 hours a week, this only applies from 1 September following your 19th birthday. This is because your parents can claim benefits for you before that date.

I'm reading this as though she won't be able to claim housing costs for her as she isn't old enough we could still claim child benefit for her. Has anyone done this with an eighteen year old?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Foundation course 18yo UC and child related benefits

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

We couldn’t claim anything when 18yr old dd did pre-voc at Performers last year, not sure about child benefit as hers stopped at 18, maybe we missed out on that. Thankfully dd had some inheritance she could use or it would have been a no go, having said that if you can afford to do it I think they’re invaluable, dd is now on the degree course at Wilkes,
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I read it the same way as you - that you should still be able to claim child benefit for her but I imagine that you will have to make a phone call to get it sorted out as otherwise they will probably just stop it assuming she is leaving full time education (secondary school/sixth form level).

Our circumstances were different as DD went at 16 to do a level 6 diploma course (higher education) but with 2 A levels alongside . When we got the letter saying child benefit would stop we rang them and it got put through to a manager who agreed that child benefit could still be paid for 2 years as she met the criteria through A level study - had to be over a certain number of hours of A level study. Your DDs course - hours, not higher education etc should meet the criteria also
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I think the issue with child benefit is that whilst Foundation courses are not classed as Higher Education, many are not “approved” eg they are internally awarded diplomas. You have to be studying a qualification up to Level 3 such as A levels, T levels, NVQ etc.

There are a few foundation courses that are starting to offer qualifications such as the UAL Level 3 diploma and they would qualify.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:23 pm I think the issue with child benefit is that whilst Foundation courses are not classed as Higher Education, many are not “approved” eg they are internally awarded diplomas. You have to be studying a qualification up to Level 3 such as A levels, T levels, NVQ etc.

There are a few foundation courses that are starting to offer qualifications such as the UAL Level 3 diploma and they would qualify.
She's just about to complete a 2 year level 3 UAL extended diploma at her sixth form provider, so I don't think she'd be eligible for another one, even if it was offered (which I don't think it is)