Summer school weeks (Urdang etc)

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Neesy
Nominee

Summer school weeks (Urdang etc)

Post by Neesy »

Hi, has anyone experience of the week long summer schools for Urdang/Bird/Performers etc? We’d have to pay for family accommodation and flights for the week so want it to be worthwhile if spending a small fortune. DD is only 14 so a long way from actually applying for schools but thought a taster might give her some motivation after a thoroughly depressing year without classes and performing. Any views appreciated, thanks.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Summer school weeks (Urdang etc)

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Neesy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:11 am Hi, has anyone experience of the week long summer schools for Urdang/Bird/Performers etc? We’d have to pay for family accommodation and flights for the week so want it to be worthwhile if spending a small fortune. DD is only 14 so a long way from actually applying for schools but thought a taster might give her some motivation after a thoroughly depressing year without classes and performing. Any views appreciated, thanks.
My daughters did Urdang summer school in 2018 when they were 13 and 17 and loved it but it is very hard work. My elder daughter is now at Wilkes (after doing a year’s pre-voc at Performers) and said the summer school was great experience plus gave her an insight into what everyone else was like. We stayed in a nearby Airbnb and had a great week in London as it’s a great location. Having said that, Performer summer school offers a lot more for a similar cost, younger daughter was down to go last year but obviously it was cancelled, they get evening activities there like bowling, west end show etc so depends really what you want to do as it’s a good train ride out of London. Don’t know what Bird offers x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My dd did the Bird Summer school when she was 14. I was worried because instead of staying with a host family she was in a student flat with a recent graduate supervising but it turned out ok. The standard of teaching was good and it gave her a good feel about the college.
Neesy
Nominee

Post by Neesy »

Thanks all, think we’ll book Urdang. Performers looks good but since we’ll all be there (DH and I) it would be nice to do family things in the evening. She may be too tired to do much though!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Neesy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm Thanks all, think we’ll book Urdang. Performers looks good but since we’ll all be there (DH and I) it would be nice to do family things in the evening. She may be too tired to do much though!
DS did Urdang this summer but it was online so not quite the same. He said it really helped him and they only had 20 each week so they got quite a lot of personal attention.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Neesy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm Thanks all, think we’ll book Urdang. Performers looks good but since we’ll all be there (DH and I) it would be nice to do family things in the evening. She may be too tired to do much though!
I would always recommend doing a summer school if they want to do a MT course, it is such an eye opener and amazing experience. We went to a couple of shows at night and booked the London Eye another but I would warn you, they are knackered and in hindsight we did too much, try and book most for the weekend as the days are full on 9-5pm.