6th Form - LMA vs LIPA

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

K8t
BRIT Award

6th Form - LMA vs LIPA

Post by K8t »

Hi

Dd has been offered places at both, doing MT. Her goal is to go to GSA!

Originally we thought LIPA would be the best option, but she’s wavering!

Any thoughts, we need to tell one soon and I don’t know enough about it :(

Thank you.
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Re: 6th Form - LMA vs LIPA

Post by Elle’smom »

Don’t base her choice on where she thinks she wants to end up now. Look at outcomes of both schools and the training they would provide where would she be most happy and enjoy.
My daughter is the lower sixth now, this time last year GSA was where she was thinking of long term. After two terms of training her opinions have changed and Bird, Urdang and Conti are emerging as her number one choices as she is developing faster in dance than she expected and she was previously thinking MT -actor singing she is now thinking true triple threat.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Elle’smom wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 am Don’t base her choice on where she thinks she wants to end up now. Look at outcomes of both schools and the training they would provide where would she be most happy and enjoy.
My daughter is the lower sixth now, this time last year GSA was where she was thinking of long term. After two terms of training her opinions have changed and Bird, Urdang and Conti are emerging as her number one choices as she is developing faster in dance than she expected and she was previously thinking MT -actor singing she is now thinking true triple threat.
Thank you, that’s very good advice. Looking at stats, LIPA seems to be the better of the two.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd knows a few people at both places.

She wasn't hugely impressed with LMA. It certainly wouldn't suit her but it may of course suit others. With regards to LIPA we went to open events and dd felt the standard of dance wasn't as high as she wanted and that was borne out by someone we know who taught there. BUT we know several people who have been through their actor training, both at the new(ish) 6th form and the degree course and it is excellent. The actors on the degree course always had excellent vocal training as part of their course and so I guess that would translate across to musical theatre courses.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Thank you.

Unfortunately we didn’t get to an open day at LMA due to lockdown, but did for LIPA and were impressed.

Interestingly, dds dance is not her strong point and she was worried the standard at LIPA would be too high. She got into Rare too, but didn’t like the facilities and it seemed too ‘dance’ based, so based on your daughter’s observations maybe LIPA will suit her and she’ll fit in.

Personally I wish she’d do the acting course, she got offered that too, but MT is her passion 😳, I know they do cross over with classes.

Thanks again.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Whereas my daughter likes the look of rare.

You have to take into consideration that although my dd has her heart very firmly in MT she had spend 5 years doing ballet at The Hammond and felt acting was her weak area. So everyone is different.

The 6th form MT course at LIPA hadn’t yet started when dd was looking. It was about to start its first cohort.
Icklemom3
Nominee

Post by Icklemom3 »

Hi - my daughter auditioned at both colleges and chose LIPA, she is currently in her 2nd year on the Dance course. Although her aim was to continue into Musical Theatre she decided to focus on dance at Sixth Form whilst continuing with singing, drama and dance outside of college. It has been the best 2 years of her life (despite Lockdown). It is a very welcoming and inclusive college and whilst she studies Dance she is always very impressed by the high standard of the students on the Musical Theatre course. The dance ability is varied - but they really do stretch you to your own capabilities. She has recently had offers at her top colleges (including Laine Diploma and Bird Degree) to study Musical Theatre and feels that the training she has received at LIPA has helped massively towards her achieving this. We cannot recommend LIPA enough! Good luck to your DD, whatever she decides!
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Icklemom3 that sounds great, you must be so proud of her.

Thank you everyone for the information. I think her choice is made now, she just has to get the GCSE grades and turn down LMA, which I feel bad for doing! 😳
Icklemom3
Nominee

Post by Icklemom3 »

K8t wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:34 pm Icklemom3 that sounds great, you must be so proud of her.

Thank you everyone for the information. I think her choice is made now, she just has to get the GCSE grades and turn down LMA, which I feel bad for doing! 😳
Good luck to her - I’m sure she’ll have an amazing 2 years x