Year 7 entry for Tring

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Bbc1hayhay
Nominee

Year 7 entry for Tring

Post by Bbc1hayhay »

Morning all first post here in a while!

My DS has been extremely fortunate to receive a boarding place offer and had his funding audition yesterday for Tring entry into year 7!

So many questions on funding and scholarships- has anyone got any info on this?

Sleepless nights worried about the funding and wanted to know when after audition we might hear?

Anyone with any experience of this I would love to hear. Thanks in advance 🙌
Bbc1hayhay
Nominee

Re: Year 7 entry for Tring

Post by Bbc1hayhay »

I should have also said he has applied for Performance Junior Foundation x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

There's a lot of information on the Ballet Forum (balletcoforum.com) about Tring and funding etc. I assume he's up for an MDS - full funding? Good luck to him. A great place to train! :)
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Congratulations on the offer for your DS. My DS attended Tring for 5 years (graduated in 2019). My information may be a bit out of date now as the heads of dance have changed but when DS was there the funding looked like this:

MDS granted only for the dance course. No set amount of MDS’s given each year as it depends on the number of leaving students who have one. Completely means tested, pays fees and accommodation. My DS had one and had it at 14 when he joined and kept it through 6th form

DaDa only at 16 for dance course - usually given to new joiners, some lower school who already have MDS can carry it on into upper school - but not always it’s judged on a case by case basis. DaDa not as generous as an MDS as maintenance is a seperate calculation, income levels for qualification aren’t as generous. Completely means tested. I am always baffled when I read on these posts when people say they have ‘a full DaDa’ all DaDa’s are full - dependent on your earnings. Years ago these awards were subjectively judged and anyone, whatever their income could get ‘a full DaDa’ and was obviously based on ability - more talent more DaDa and I suppose it was stated as a way of informing people that their child was deemed very talented as they got ‘a full DaDa’. Some teachers and therefore parents still use this terminology but it means nothing - if you have no money you’ll get a full DaDa if you have medium amounts of money you’ll get part funding if you have too much money to qualify you get no money. (Sorry I’ll get off my soap box now, it just drives me mad that this is still being discussed this way - a means of bigging up one child and putting down another and it needs to change as it’s just not the way it works anymore).

Performers courses any scholarships are school scholarships which can be anything the school wants to award. We have heard children getting 10% scholarship and anything in between that and 100% (obviously the higher the scholarship the more unusual). My DS initially auditioned for both courses but we were told that for performance courses the usual scholarship was 10%, we knew that would not be enough for us so we decided just to do the final audition for dance and not the final for performers and he was lucky enough to get MDS. Each year the children with school scholarships reaudition for their scholarships but I know the school really try to maintain each students scholarship - some families will go through tougher times and need to have their scholarship increased it’s obviously dependent on talent and attitude etc but my DS said that they really try to do the best by each child.

My DS was very happy at Tring. It’s tough and not all a bed of roses but he had the most amazing time, had fabulous opportunities and says it was the making of him.

For all other course
Bbc1hayhay
Nominee

Post by Bbc1hayhay »

Thank you so much for all the information I really appreciate some sort of guidance!

I think I was getting myself confused with MDA awarded funding as that’s what they called it for the audition, but I was sure these were only awarded to dance course.

So really we are waiting to see if awarded a scholarship at 10% and if they really want them we may get offered more by being means tested. It’s very stressful, just got to keep everything crossed 🤞
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Oh yes, it is rather stressful isn’t it?! I have my fingers crossed for you. In our experience the boys are particularly loved at Tring and it’s a great training and good education.

I forgot to say that in terms of timings for getting go to know results, we got an email the next day. Some got called on their way home and others hear in a couple of weeks....🤷‍♀️ Just depends what’s going on at school and how busy everyone is I think.
Bbc1hayhay
Nominee

Post by Bbc1hayhay »

Aw thank you so much! We have just been told we will know by post by the end of next week 🤞