ACCOMODATION for 2021 intake

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

ACCOMODATION for 2021 intake

Post by dancelifemum »

Hi does anyone have any info on possible accommodation options for:

URDANG
WILKES
PERFORMERS

please?
And experience of costs too?
Am worried if we decide too late we won't have any options!

We probably won't have decided until after the Easter holidays.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: ACCOMODATION for 2021 intake

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

No clue on Urdang but Performers usually send a huge list of landlords out near the end of May, it is then a free for all trying to get somewhere, was made worse last intake apparently due to the huge increase in numbers. If your child knows anyone there now, or any chats, you would do well to get in first.
Wilkes is a breeze! They use a company who finds accommodation for them. This company is given the list when Wilkes have their definites (again around end May/beg June), you then have to fill out a form saying who you want I live with etc and they find you a house. SO much less stress than Performers!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm No clue on Urdang but Performers usually send a huge list of landlords out near the end of May, it is then a free for all trying to get somewhere, was made worse last intake apparently due to the huge increase in numbers. If your child knows anyone there now, or any chats, you would do well to get in first.
Wilkes is a breeze! They use a company who finds accommodation for them. This company is given the list when Wilkes have their definites (again around end May/beg June), you then have to fill out a form saying who you want I live with etc and they find you a house. SO much less stress than Performers!
Oh that does sound so much easier, especially as it's not on our doorstep. Thank you!
Wilkes does have an amazing faculty too! I am unsure how large their intake is.
Urdang would obviously cost us an arm and a leg due to location!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 pm Hi does anyone have any info on possible accommodation options for:

URDANG
WILKES
PERFORMERS

please?

A friend of mine recommended these two locations in London that are popular with Urdang and LSC students. She lived at Chester House when she was a student at LSC.

Chester house in Muswell Hill
https://chesterhouse.org.uk

And

Hyelm in old street (and Colindale as of 2023)

https://hyelm.com

Good luck with the search.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancelifemum wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:47 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:10 pm No clue on Urdang but Performers usually send a huge list of landlords out near the end of May, it is then a free for all trying to get somewhere, was made worse last intake apparently due to the huge increase in numbers. If your child knows anyone there now, or any chats, you would do well to get in first.
Oh that does sound so much easier, especially as it's not on our doorstep. Thank you!
Wilkes does have an amazing faculty too! I am unsure how large their intake is.
Urdang would obviously cost us an arm and a leg due to location!
Their intake is currently quite small as it’s the first year of the degree this year, was told that they have to keep numbers low for the first 2 years of the degree, that is why Performers grew so much last year as they had gone into the third year. My daughter did Pre-Voc at Performers and was offered degree but just felt that ‘something’ at Wilkes, plus the increase in numbers did concern her. They get some amazing teachers at Wilkes (Ricky Jinks for example) and everyone is so friendly, couldn’t recommend it more but obviously your daughter needs to find that ‘something’ for herself.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:36 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:02 pm Hi does anyone have any info on possible accommodation options for:

URDANG
WILKES
PERFORMERS

please?

A friend of mine recommended these two locations in London that are popular with Urdang and LSC students. She lived at Chester House when she was a student at LSC.

And

Thank you very much!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

You’re welcome Dancelifemum :)
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Has anyone’s DC rented at Hyelm?
Thanks
Jofitz
Nominee

Post by Jofitz »

Hi - we had no issues getting accommodation in august last year for performers - in private flat in Basildon centre.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

URDANG
WILKES
PERFORMERS

please?

And

Hi, just wondering if you had any info on experiences with renting at Hyelm please?
Thank you
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Moonfaery wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:19 pm

URDANG
WILKES
PERFORMERS

please?

And

Hi, just wondering if you had any info on experiences with renting at Hyelm please?
Thank you
My friend lived at Chester House when she was at LSC some years ago. Her friends had stayed at Hyelm and liked it. I personally have not had any direct experience with either.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Thanks Anastasia
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi
My daughter - and several other Urdang students stayed at Liberty Living St John Street - Now called Walmsley studios since it was taken over by 'Unite'
It was quiet, felt safe and is within easy walking distance to both Urdang Buildings and Islington !
Unfortunately it is not cheap !
Good luck all with accommodation searches :)
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Hi Littleone, thanks for that.
Yes, that’s what I’ve found it’s really not cheap!
All the cheaper rooms in halls seem to be taken.
We’ve just managed to get a room at Hyelm so really pleased as a bit more affordable.
Just wondering if anyone has experience of a DC staying there.
My DD was looking at shared house with other Urdang students but it seems that they’ve not all definitely decided whether they’re going so would all be a bit last minute.
At Hyelm she won’t know anyone but I’m guessing that’s the same in some of the halls.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Jofitz wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 pm Hi - we had no issues getting accommodation in august last year for performers - in private flat in Basildon centre.
Thank you! We have just accepted the Performers place. eeeeekk