Lesser known performing art 6th forms

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Lesser known performing art 6th forms

Post by Hilltop »

I just wondered if anyone knew of any lesser known 6th form colleges that offer musical theatre courses equivalent to A levels? We know about the well known ones like Emil Dale, Arts Ed, Urdang, etc but my daughter is keen to not do academic A levels (at least not only A levels) and we want to look at a range of colleges that maybe are less competitive, etc. Is there a database of colleges anywhere?
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Re: Lesser known performing art 6th forms

Post by Crazytime »

Hilltop wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:00 pm I just wondered if anyone knew of any lesser known 6th form colleges that offer musical theatre courses equivalent to A levels? We know about the well known ones like Emil Dale, Arts Ed, Urdang, etc but my daughter is keen to not do academic A levels (at least not only A levels) and we want to look at a range of colleges that maybe are less competitive, etc. Is there a database of colleges anywhere?
Hi
Where abouts are you based ? My daughter went to Miskin in Dartford from 16-18 , they do a dance and an MT UAL course . There is also London College of Performing Arts which is in SE London . And I believe Hammond do one as well which I think is North London

I have seen some posts on here mentioning others so it may be worth scrolling through old posts !
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks very much Crazytime, we’ll add them to the list to look at! I’ve seen other posts talk about 6th form courses on here but only the main colleges are often mentioned, which I know are very competitive. So I was wondering what other colleges are out there, just to expand our options. It’s so hard to find out! We live in Berkshire.
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

If you are in Berkshire have you looked at Read College based in Reading? DS has a couple of friends who went there and have both been successful in moving onto great colleges.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Hilltop wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:00 pm I just wondered if anyone knew of any lesser known 6th form colleges that offer musical theatre courses equivalent to A levels? We know about the well known ones like Emil Dale, Arts Ed, Urdang, etc but my daughter is keen to not do academic A levels (at least not only A levels) and we want to look at a range of colleges that maybe are less competitive, etc. Is there a database of colleges anywhere?
I don’t know much about it, but Bodens came up when I was doing my research.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Be very careful of colleges offering the UAL/BTECH. Not all courses are the same. Make sure you find out how many go on to top colleges (unfortunately, getting into a top college matters. The competition is beyond fierce and only the best of the best will get work - everyone’s idea of what a top college is will vary)

My ds went to a local college to do an MT UAL BTECH. It was terrible - 12 hours vocational training a week, no actual singing lessons just group singing. No proper training in dance, just a class given and 3 hours of drama. We saw a show they put on after the first term and it was horrible! Right there and then I asked my DS whether he wanted to audition for EDA for the next year. Best decision we made. He would have wasted 2 years and been no where near ready to match the competition for degree courses.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The best places that offer the BTEC/UAL are usually the courses run by dance schools that have secured funding by linking with another institution. One exception being Preston College which is excellent.

The ones I know are North Midlands based so probably not much use to you.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Bodyworks Cambridge is a great option too
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks for all your responses - lots to consider.

My DD is happy to move away from home (though not sure if the reality of that will change her mind eventually) what is the accommodation situation for 16 year olds doing a BTEC? I know it probably differs between colleges but what would we be looking at generally? I hope she won’t want to but am preparing myself for if she does.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Hilltop wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:30 am Thanks for all your responses - lots to consider.

My DD is happy to move away from home (though not sure if the reality of that will change her mind eventually) what is the accommodation situation for 16 year olds doing a BTEC? I know it probably differs between colleges but what would we be looking at generally? I hope she won’t want to but am preparing myself for if she does.
Hi hilltop, my dd is in 2nd year BTEC at EDA and stays with a host family term time who live nearby.
I found it really difficult when she ‘left home’ 2 years before I thought she would, but seeing her so happy and fulfilled has made it easier. EDA are brilliant at pastoral care and we’ve had a positive experience with her host family.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

the Hammond in Chester take students at 16 to do the Trinity level 6 diploma in both dance and musical theatre if your DD is at the required level. At Hammond you can still do 2 A levels alongside the diploma if you wish (limited choice of subjects) and it is timetabled so that students do not miss any of their mt or dance classes to do so. My DD went there at 16, lodged with a host family. First year of course is joint and then they separate into dance or musical theatre for years 2 & 3.

Also, if you look way back in this section - to about 2013 - there was a thread called 'Is there a definitive age that colleges take from?' or something very similar, started by Katymac. Obviously some of the information will be out of date but she compiled a list over the course of the thread of lots of colleges/qualifications etc and that might give you some more names to look at and research for your DD.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

2dancersmum wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:44 pm the Hammond in Chester take students at 16 to do the Trinity level 6 diploma in both dance and musical theatre if your DD is at the required level. At Hammond you can still do 2 A levels alongside the diploma if you wish (limited choice of subjects) and it is timetabled so that students do not miss any of their mt or dance classes to do so. My DD went there at 16, lodged with a host family. First year of course is joint and then they separate into dance or musical theatre for years 2 & 3.

Also, if you look way back in this section - to about 2013 - there was a thread called 'Is there a definitive age that colleges take from?' or something very similar, started by Katymac. Obviously some of the information will be out of date but she compiled a list over the course of the thread of lots of colleges/qualifications etc and that might give you some more names to look at and research for your DD.
Hammond now divide the courses after the first term.
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

Lakeviewp wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 pm If you are in Berkshire have you looked at Read College based in Reading? DS has a couple of friends who went there and have both been successful in moving onto great colleges.

Yes, would second Read. They are excellent, my daughter did a Foundation course in MT there last year.
K8t
BRIT Award

Post by K8t »

Hi

Just seen this. Didn’t see where you are, we’re in the Northwest and there are several who do the Btech full time equivalent to 3As.

LIPA, which have just started auditions now, having sent the criteria and dance video, it will be virtually. LMA, Liverpool, have been doing virtual auditions but still accepting applicants and Runshaw College, in Leyland, hasn’t started auditions yet, but are doing initial zoom interviews prior to offering an audition.

There is also Rare in Liverpool, but my dd didn’t like it, they had actual auditions and she had to take part in a ballet class - she hasn’t done ballet since she was small - for the MT course (I think that’s fair enough!).

Dd has turned down the Rare offer, which was a risk, but thankfully has been offered MT at LMA. However she is about to submit for LIPA and that’s her first choice.

LIPA would be easiest if accommodation is required.

K
Elle’smom
BRIT Award

Post by Elle’smom »

Lakeviewp wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 pm If you are in Berkshire have you looked at Read College based in Reading? DS has a couple of friends who went there and have both been successful in moving onto great colleges.
Also coming to this late, but my daughter is lower sixth at Read can’t recommend them more - the upper sixth all have offers at Bird, Urdang and Conti so outcomes are excellent. They also get ex-students who are in the West End to come and talk to current students making sure they understand the requirements of the industry.