Any tall female dancers out there (5’10”)

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

StartingLate
BRIT Award

Any tall female dancers out there (5’10”)

Post by StartingLate »

Hello all

DD2 hopes to apply to do L6 Diploma in Dance this year.
She is 5’10”, and almost 17 so probabiy not going to get much taller. She is all legs and arms. Gorgeous lines in ballet or lyrical but those long limbs can look out of place in other styles.

Her main styles are ballet, lyrical and jazz.
She will probably be as tall or taller than most boy dancers.

Does anybody have a tall dancer who got accepted to dance college?

Any words of encouragement? Any suggestions of where she might fit in?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Any tall female dancers out there (5’10”)

Post by 2dancersmum »

Spoke to my DD about this - professional dancer since graduating in 2015. Her belief is that your DD's height should not be an issue for colleges providing she is not applying for classical ballet schools and providing she has good control over those long limbs as they know that there is a job market out there for them. Various companies in France and Germany in particular advertise for dancers at 5'7" minimum height - and several cruise companies too. One of DD's friends at 5'8" found herself the shortest girl on her first Costa cruise contract. Out of curiosity I looked to see where those girls had trained - Laine, Liverpool Theatre Arts, Phil Winstons, Hammond, Rennaisance, Bird, Northern Ballet. But basically I would just advise your DD to audition to places she likes the look of and you can realistically afford for her to attend. Good luck
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

I’ve just asked my DS who is at Laine and he said the girls are of varying heights including a few tall ones. So your DD doesn’t need to worry!
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Thanks for the replies, that is encouraging to read.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Hi there, my 17 year old daughter is 5 9 or 5 10 and she's in her 1st year at Performers - got offered Laine, Bird, London Studio, Brighton Academy, Urdang some with scholarships. She is probably one of the tallest in her group and some make comments but she is very confident in her height - I've always told her it's an asset and many of her teachers taught her how to embrace it -she did have some say to her oh go to the back and that's where you'll always be but you have to believe in yourself I feel - her two friends are in ballet schools in Germany and they are looking for dancers who are 5 7 or taller and moulin rouge, rockettes etc all have a minimum height so I think it's all about being comfortable in yourself and my dd is doing so well and excelling so tell your daughter to just embrace her height x
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Thank you Tess50, I think that is key, to encourage her to embrace it. And thanks to these posts I can give her solid examples of height being an advantage.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

That's it - I know at that age it's hard for them and they are conscious about everything - my daughter has had many moments where comments have been made in a negative way and still does with people saying if you get any taller you'll hit the roof etc and often people just comment on her legs rather than how she danced but all shapes, sizes etc are really getting more acceptable nowadays. It was hard when some teachers over the years just put her in the back but she pushed on and as I said she's doing so well so best of luck to your beautiful girl - tell her to go for it x
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

There’s room out there for dancers of every height and shape once they have the skills and talent . However I imagine that it depends on the show requirements .
Very tall / petite / overweight dancers can look out of place if everyone else is of average height / body size etc .
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

I think there are jobs for different dancers eg height/ hair colour etc....based on that particular job.
We know some professional dancers of all heights and they have had different levels of success but I don't think that is relevant to their height, more that they were right for those jobs and at the right place. It might be slightly harder if for example a choreographer wants all of a similar height there are more dancers to choose from that are 'average' height (whatever that may be). Equally some may worry they're too short.

I would love them all to own their own uniqueness and just enjoy dancing.....wherever that may take them. Sadly it is an industry partly based on looks as well as talent.