Has COVID changed your DC training/career plans?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Re: Has COVID changed your DC training/career plans?

Post by Ditzi »

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... e-air.html

I came across this article, not sure how true it is, but it makes sense. It made me wonder if performing arts colleges have any classroom ventilation during classes.
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

amo185 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:20 pm Yes I think it is a worry for so many young people. DD is certainly concerned about being ready to audition for degree/diploma, given that large bubbles are being sent home constantly to go back on Zoom despite wearing masks and socially distancing at college. I don't think there is any right answer and no sign of letting up. Is there any PA college that has managed to do everything face to face and had no Covid cases? It's frustrating but no easy answer - and little logic as to why some colleges are mostly face to face and why some are mostly online. Just have to keep as positive as possible and hang on in there!
My daughter attends a smaller Uni/PA school ... it’s a dance degree not MT/ triple threat but they have all been really lucky and had all face to face classes except for theory / lectures which are online . They were split into pods of 8/10 and attend 4 days a week over 7 days ! I think they had one case just before half term
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Katyben wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm Hi all,

My daughter is a first year at Bird and we’ve now just received an email that for November they have 7 hours of face to face classes a week and then 3 hours a day of online classes. As of the 4th December they are fully online.
I just don’t understand because schools are in full time so why can’t colleges be?
Also how are the students going to reach the standard they need to be at?
It’s such a worry. Does anyone else feel like this?
My dd is in one of the main PA colleges . They have 27 hrs face to face per week and 18 online . It’s all working well so far and thankfully her class hasn’t had any cases . There’s been a few cases in another class which meant that class had to self isolate and go completely online for two weeks .
How many hours of face to face classes do Bird students normally get ? My dd has friends there in other years who werent very happy about the amount of weekly dance classes they were receiving ( pre Covid ). I gather that they’re very dissatisfied this year also. She was offered a place there but turned it down for that reason. It was a tough decision as it was somewhere that interested her hugely .
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

Dancecrazy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 am
Katyben wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm Hi all,

My daughter is a first year at Bird and we’ve now just received an email that for November they have 7 hours of face to face classes a week and then 3 hours a day of online classes. As of the 4th December they are fully online.
I just don’t understand because schools are in full time so why can’t colleges be?
Also how are the students going to reach the standard they need to be at?
It’s such a worry. Does anyone else feel like this?
My dd is in one of the main PA colleges . They have 27 hrs face to face per week and 18 online . It’s all working well so far and thankfully her class hasn’t had any cases . There’s been a few cases in another class which meant that class had to self isolate and go completely online for two weeks .
How many hours of face to face classes do Bird students normally get ? My dd has friends there in other years who werent very happy about the amount of weekly dance classes they were receiving ( pre Covid ). I gather that they’re very dissatisfied this year also. She was offered a place there but turned it down for that reason. It was a tough decision as it was somewhere that interested her hugely .

I’m not sure what the used to get. The principle has just said he’s doing it to protect them but I’m just getting sick and tired of it now. She says she’s not benefiting from online classes at all so isn’t improving. I just need to rant as just totally stuck.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

That doesn’t seem many hours, dd has had the last 2 weeks online as they had COVID cases but from Monday are back in college on alternate days and online the other days, but hours are still full time. How are they supposed to improve on 22hrs a week? I do feel for them all, it’s such a difficult time now as it is which makes them want to dance etc all the more!
jacsrab
BRIT Award

Post by jacsrab »

The MTA have been in the studio full time since the start of term which has been both fabulous and quite incredible. It does help that they are a very small school, about 15 in one year and 18 in the other.