Investigation into allegations of abuse & grooming at ballet school

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Investigation into allegations of abuse & grooming at ballet school

Post by islandofsodor »

Following on from the investigation into British gymnastics ITV have uncovered allegations of sexual abuse and bullying at a leading ballet school.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-17/pol ... let-school

My dd knows several young people who have attended this school and the experience were not pleasant and have led in some cases to severe mental health issues although none of the people she knows were directly involved in the grooming.

It’s very easy to get caught up in the pursuit of a dream and to normalise things that are wrong in the name of professionalism. The fear of being asked to leave training or being left out of important showcases etc may prevent people speaking out.

Well done to those brace young people who have come forward.
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Re: Investigation into allegations of abuse & grooming at ballet school

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Well done indeed to those young people.
I am not talking about sexual abuse here, but my daughter was forced to leave her course at a prestigious drama school due to a nervous breakdown.
The level of bullying and psychological abuse from one tutor in particular was so severe that she could no longer cope. S he had never experienced problems with her mental health previously.
Suffice it say, that the happy young woman that we took down to London was not the same one we had to bring home six months later.
There really does need to be more accountability and regulation in these places.
I t took two years for my daughter to fully recover and re gain her confidence. She was extremely fortunate to be offered a place at another school, where she is happy.
I would advise anybody on here to do your homework very carefully on these institutions, whether they be dance schools, MT schools or straight acting schools. The bullies often hide in plain sight, and the students are often so "honoured" to be there that they become easy prey.