Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by amo185 »

I think the reasoning behind Becmum's college's decision is very well founded. Not sure if it's PPA but they are doing something similar. Well done to all colleges who are thinking more laterally to try to benefit their students in this very tough year. Not sure if this will impact on those auditioning for 2021 entry. DD's Performers audition still seems to be face to face - scheduled end of March. Earlier ones are online but have heard they're quite extensive and difficult to film at home :(
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:34 pm I think the reasoning behind Becmum's college's decision is very well founded. Not sure if it's PPA but they are doing something similar. Well done to all colleges who are thinking more laterally to try to benefit their students in this very tough year. Not sure if this will impact on those auditioning for 2021 entry. DD's Performers audition still seems to be face to face - scheduled end of March. Earlier ones are online but have heard they're quite extensive and difficult to film at home :(
Hopefully with lockdown they will relax some of the filming requirements slightly. I think Mountview wanted all the filming done against a blank background, which isn't too tricky for monologues and singing, but is impossible for the dance videos. DS managed to film some dance in a dance studio for his very early auditions, but that was before lockdown, so now it's the living room! Plus he's very tall (6'1"), so avoiding ceiling lights is something he needs to be aware of which restricts his movement slightly. It's really hard for people with limited space, and not exactly the weather for filming dancing in the garden either!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD tells me that Performers have now said students can submit other footage to aid their applications. EDA have also said you can use a previously filmed dance. Not sure what kids do if they don't have other recent footage or filmed material. Feeling somewhat more sceptical now than at the start of this process! Certainly going to be challenging with interesting outcomes...
Louisedunn
BRIT Award

Post by Louisedunn »

I must admit, i’m really worried about Performers asking for extra performance footage. Dd hasn’t got any. They’ve done nothing filming wise at EDA and we were not allowed to film her yr 11 show 😬. Anyone else in similar position?
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Louisedunn wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:13 pm I must admit, i’m really worried about Performers asking for extra performance footage. Dd hasn’t got any. They’ve done nothing filming wise at EDA and we were not allowed to film her yr 11 show 😬. Anyone else in similar position?
My daughter is the same. She hasn’t filmed anything for nearly a year as obviously all performances have been cancelled. I’m sure there will be many others in the same position. She did film some set exercises at her studio before they had to close so she’s been able to send one application off - but they all ask for different things so it’s not suitable for everywhere. It’s far from ideal and very stressful but it really is out of our control.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Today’s update from Laine basically telling them to carry on with zoom until at least half term. Expected really but how can these poor third years graduate with a diploma or a degree given the have lost 2 terms of proper training zoom is ok ish but my daughter is a dancer ans is seriously struggling and questioning each day 😞
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

So, DS has now had the criteria for the Performers audition. They ask for a huge amount but one thing they want is for the students to copy a ballet piece which they filmed using a whole ballet studio!! DS is contacting them today to ask what he should do, as he doesn't have a studio in his house ...
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

icantdance wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 am So, DS has now had the criteria for the Performers audition. They ask for a huge amount but one thing they want is for the students to copy a ballet piece which they filmed using a whole ballet studio!! DS is contacting them today to ask what he should do, as he doesn't have a studio in his house ...
Maybe they think all these students go to dance schools who own a posh dance studio that will let them borrow it to film. In reality most dance schools use a village/church hall (ours does) who won’t hire it out during lockdown and sports centres are closed. I realise it must be a nightmare for the colleges trying to see potential from a video but surely they need to be realistic and understand the nightmare it is causing for students too? I feel for you all so much this year, I know how stressful normal auditions are so can’t even begin to understand the stress levels this year, DD is stressing over submitting dance and singing videos for her degree so lord only knows what she’d be doing if she had to record audition videos 😱😱😱 x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Asking for extensive dancing at the current time is totally unrealistic. DD's Perfomers audition is end March and is still face to face. Her friend has now moved hers to April as cannot possibly film what they are asking for. We have also noticed that Trinity Laban states they want a dance too - whereas just a few weeks ago they said they would not request a dance in the first round as unfair and had questions to answer about dance experience instead. DD has already submitted her application there - but with no dance. Waiting to see if contacted. :? It all seems quite a mess really! But I feel for the colleges as well as the students. I am just grateful DD is starting out and not completing her training this year. Tough all round.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

I really feel that the colleges should not be taking new students from September this year. I understand why the will in order to keep going but the whole thing is a complete and utter mess. No proper guidance for current students and no proper guidelines or guidance either for this years auditions. If my daughter wanted to audition this year I would seriously be suggesting to takes a year out ! 😩
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Belledancer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm I really feel that the colleges should not be taking new students from September this year. I understand why the will in order to keep going but the whole thing is a complete and utter mess. No proper guidance for current students and no proper guidelines or guidance either for this years auditions. If my daughter wanted to audition this year I would seriously be suggesting to takes a year out ! 😩
We have discussed this option but decided against it for now (that could change depending on what happens in the next few months). I’m not sure what it would achieve really as it will just have a knock on effect on the number of applicants for next year. We’re trying to stay positive that at least this years applicants have 3 years of training ahead of them. It must be very stressful and worrying for those finishing their training this year.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Good news for the start of the year. DS has been offered a place on the BA at Bird!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

That's great news! Lovely to have an early offer. Well done to your DS =D>
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

icantdance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm Good news for the start of the year. DS has been offered a place on the BA at Bird!
That’s fantastic news. Congratulations to your DS!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

icantdance wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm Good news for the start of the year. DS has been offered a place on the BA at Bird!
Congratulations to your DS 👍