Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by dancelifemum »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 pm It depends on each individual institution.
yes just wondered as we put them all into UCAS when applying....but offer still show as conditional, so they obviously count for nothing then really.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

As an example Performers ask for 80 UCAS points from either A levels, EPQ ,BTEC , Cambridge Technical.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 pm As an example Performers ask for 80 UCAS points from either A levels, EPQ ,BTEC , Cambridge Technical.
Yes I know, but just wondered if any of them have leeway to accept less on any courses and use eg 20 points from an RAD dance exam to make it up...or in face why not all dance exams? We hopefully wouldn't need to but it makes me wonder why they say dance exams are worth ucas points but then they aren't enough on their own to access a dance based degree? DD for example would have over 100 in Lamda and dance exams already yet her offer is still conditional awaiting A levels. eg Urdang/Bird/Performers.... as then it makes me wonder why these exams carry ucas points if they are actually of no use. If that makes sense?
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

dancelifemum wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:04 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 pm As an example Performers ask for 80 UCAS points from either A levels, EPQ ,BTEC , Cambridge Technical.
Yes I know, but just wondered if any of them have leeway to accept less on any courses and use eg 20 points from an RAD dance exam to make it up...or in face why not all dance exams? We hopefully wouldn't need to but it makes me wonder why they say dance exams are worth ucas points but then they aren't enough on their own to access a dance based degree? DD for example would have over 100 in Lamda and dance exams already yet her offer is still conditional awaiting A levels. eg Urdang/Bird/Performers.... as then it makes me wonder why these exams carry ucas points if they are actually of no use. If that makes sense?
I'm not sure of the Academic rigour of the course but they have to do a dissertation I believe. I've recently been lecturing 1st year undergrads and I'm pretty sure some of them didn't get GCSE English! Some of their assignments were shocking. If you're doing a degree then you need a level of academic ability just to be able to write academically. I guess that would be why..
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

dancelifemum wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Some universities do accept them and if they do it states that in their entry criteria we’ve found a few music degrees that accept them. There are usually limitations eg only the points from the highest grade count.
DogWalker
Nominee

Post by DogWalker »

Any news from Bird Reserve List anyone? I am just about to commit to an accomodation contract for another college and just wondering if I should wait another few days in case the reserve list starts moving. Is it worth phoning or will they get in touch with us?
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

DogWalker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:17 pm Any news from Bird Reserve List anyone? I am just about to commit to an accomodation contract for another college and just wondering if I should wait another few days in case the reserve list starts moving. Is it worth phoning or will they get in touch with us?
My daughter seems to think that from today you can email and ask where you are on the list. Good luck!
DogWalker
Nominee

Post by DogWalker »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 pm
DogWalker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:17 pm Any news from Bird Reserve List anyone? I am just about to commit to an accomodation contract for another college and just wondering if I should wait another few days in case the reserve list starts moving. Is it worth phoning or will they get in touch with us?
My daughter seems to think that from today you can email and ask where you are on the list. Good luck!
Thanks - I did call in the end. They still have some places to offer apparently so from next week there may be some movement. But I was told that it could be anything up till end of august early September! Or no movement at all! But they were happy for me to call weekly for any updates. I’ve decided to go with signing the accommodation for the other college so that we are sorted at least!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

yes I think email said after the end of June you can ask where you are roughly
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

DogWalker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:12 pm
Thanks - I did call in the end. They still have some places to offer apparently so from next week there may be some movement. But I was told that it could be anything up till end of august early September! Or no movement at all! But they were happy for me to call weekly for any updates. I’ve decided to go with signing the accommodation for the other college so that we are sorted at least!
Did they tell you accurately where you are on the list or just a rough idea of top or bottom? If it’s just a rough idea it’s hard to know what to do for the best. We know a few people waiting and they are all worried about needing to book accommodation at their second choice.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:43 pm

Did they tell you accurately where you are on the list or just a rough idea of top or bottom? If it’s just a rough idea it’s hard to know what to do for the best. We know a few people waiting and they are all worried about needing to book accommodation at their second choice.
They say roughly where you are. But you'll know if you're in the bottom section that you're unlikely to get an offer, which in some ways is better than knowing you're top half. I guess it might help a bit if you're at either end, not so much if you're in the middle. Be careful accepting accommodation elsewhere as you're guaranteeing to pay for a whole year, whether your DC is there or not!
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

icantdance wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm
They say roughly where you are. But you'll know if you're in the bottom section that you're unlikely to get an offer, which in some ways is better than knowing you're top half. I guess it might help a bit if you're at either end, not so much if you're in the middle. Be careful accepting accommodation elsewhere as you're guaranteeing to pay for a whole year, whether your DC is there or not!
Yes this is the dilemma. Fortunately for my daughter she is sorted with her place but her friends don’t know what to do as bird is their first choice but they can’t afford to pay 2 lots of accommodation. I think they are waiting it out a bit longer
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:15 pm
icantdance wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Yes this is the dilemma. Fortunately for my daughter she is sorted with her place but her friends don’t know what to do as bird is their first choice but they can’t afford to pay 2 lots of accommodation. I think they are waiting it out a bit longer
If you email them they call you back and although they may not say exactly they will say you're rough position eg you're bottom of the top third etc... if that makes sense?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

we should have asked how many places they have as it is very strange that we don't know one actual person offered a degree there yet...everyone is wait list (apart from a couple of your DC on here). We will decline anyway as it's not one of her top choices....so will let them know.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:12 pm we should have asked how many places they have as it is very strange that we don't know one actual person offered a degree there yet...everyone is wait list (apart from a couple of your DC on here). We will decline anyway as it's not one of her top choices....so will let them know.
My DD was offered degree at Bird which she’s declined. There were a few others on here with DC’s that got degree offers. To be fair, they are like gold dust, especially during the early months of auditioning. The majority are on the reserve list. Somehow I think I remember them saying their intake being approx 150 for the degree.