Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Grace03
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Grace03 »

Dancindan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am Maybe a strange question but does anyone know a way to get around filling in medical forms, my daughter rang up her GP and they said they would charge her £50 just to sign the document! Unfortunately we just don’t have that disposable income, anyone who can help?
It’s very unfair but it’s up to the GP as it’s classed as private work not NHS.
Try calling and asking the GP if they can use their discretion as it’s for educational purposes. Be honest that you can’t afford it and ask would they be willing to offer a discount. Ask the receptionist to send your request directly to the GP as the receptionist may not have the authority to reduce the cost.

We have had 2 completed in the same surgery. One was free, one was £30 and daughter’s friend was charged £50 by a different surgery but same local area.
Dancemumalways
Nominee

Post by Dancemumalways »

Do all students have to transfer to a new dr surgery? Is this a requirement from the colleges? And do all colleges ask for a Dr letter? Thank you x
Dancindan
Nominee

Post by Dancindan »

Dancemumalways wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:19 pm Do all students have to transfer to a new dr surgery? Is this a requirement from the colleges? And do all colleges ask for a Dr letter? Thank you x
Most will ask for it just so they know your medical background, spinal injuries, allergies, etc. But every uni drama school or not requires you to transfer to a local GP I think it may be a legal requirement generally to be registered with a GP as you have to have somewhere to go
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter never changed Surgeries But her college was only an hour away from our home & has always offered telephone consultations.

Now she is moving further away for postgrad she will change.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

canadianJo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm Just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it's been super helpful in navigating this process!! Dd has accepted a spot in the Mountview mt foundation program and has confirmed her room at Bernard Myers student hall!! so excited for her to begin this exciting journey- thank goodness for FaceTime ;)
Just waiting for Canada to be moved up to the green list so we don't have to plan extra time to quarantine (double vaxxed and ready to go!)
Amazing news! Your DD will love it, what an adventure for her :D My DD has a couple of friends at MV who are doing MT and they are having a fab time! Good luck with getting over here and settled!
solitaire
Nominee

Post by solitaire »

Hi, my daughter has been asked to provide a ‘fitness note’ for her MT BA course which is needed to confirm her place. I emailed our GP back in May but the GP has said ‘it’s not something they do.’ I’ve offered to pay a nominal admin fee for the note (I think our surgery charge about £20-25 for a doctor letter) but the GP says the request has to come to them personally from the college anyway, not from my daughter. I cannot see admin at the college having the time to email every student’s DR for this though either. ](*,) Is it just our surgery being a bit awkward and does anyone know if there’s a way to get around this?
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

MTDreams wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am
canadianJo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm Just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it's been super helpful in navigating this process!! Dd has accepted a spot in the Mountview mt foundation program and has confirmed her room at Bernard Myers student hall!! so excited for her to begin this exciting journey- thank goodness for FaceTime ;)
Just waiting for Canada to be moved up to the green list so we don't have to plan extra time to quarantine (double vaxxed and ready to go!)
Amazing news! Your DD will love it, what an adventure for her :D My DD has a couple of friends at MV who are doing MT and they are having a fab time! Good luck with getting over here and settled!
Thank you!!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Just popping on to say hi to everyone and to see if you're all sorted / nearly sorted now for schools and accommodation for September. It's been one hell of an audition year and I really do hope that we've seen the worst of this pandemic and that all our DC's who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much can have a normal / semi-normal year starting this September. After all the stresses of the online filming etc, she is enjoying finally being on holiday after saying goodbye to all her dance family after 14 years over the weekend. Now all she is focused on is relaxing, enjoying the Summer and choosing and ordering all her uniform :D =D> :lol: . I would love to hear how everyone is doing.
Mumto3girls
Nominee

Post by Mumto3girls »

anastasia79 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm Just popping on to say hi to everyone and to see if you're all sorted / nearly sorted now for schools and accommodation for September. It's been one hell of an audition year and I really do hope that we've seen the worst of this pandemic and that all our DC's who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much can have a normal / semi-normal year starting this September. After all the stresses of the online filming etc, she is enjoying finally being on holiday after saying goodbye to all her dance family after 14 years over the weekend. Now all she is focused on is relaxing, enjoying the Summer and choosing and ordering all her uniform :D =D> :lol: . I would love to hear how everyone is doing.
[/quote

Hi, well we are at a total stand still, cannot find anywhere to rent within price range for my daughter, we also know another girl from our town who has also got nowhere to stay, I think we've waited too long for this 😫 so it looks like it's going to be a no go For this yr & may aswell re apply next yr now 🥺 after all that hard work they have done too getting their audition videos done 🤦‍♀️
Such a shame and I'm gutted for her.
Oh she also has covid right now so dealing with that too isn't helping 😥😥
Oh but if anyone knows of a spare room, full house to rent in or around corringham essex please get intouch 🙌

Massive well done to all of your DC for getting their chosen college & good luck to them for their futures xxx
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Mumto3girls wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:28 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm Just popping on to say hi to everyone and to see if you're all sorted / nearly sorted now for schools and accommodation for September. It's been one hell of an audition year and I really do hope that we've seen the worst of this pandemic and that all our DC's who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much can have a normal / semi-normal year starting this September. After all the stresses of the online filming etc, she is enjoying finally being on holiday after saying goodbye to all her dance family after 14 years over the weekend. Now all she is focused on is relaxing, enjoying the Summer and choosing and ordering all her uniform :D =D> :lol: . I would love to hear how everyone is doing.
[/quote

Hi, well we are at a total stand still, cannot find anywhere to rent within price range for my daughter, we also know another girl from our town who has also got nowhere to stay, I think we've waited too long for this 😫 so it looks like it's going to be a no go For this yr & may aswell re apply next yr now 🥺 after all that hard work they have done too getting their audition videos done 🤦‍♀️
Oh but if anyone knows of a spare room, full house to rent in or around corringham essex please get intouch 🙌

Massive well done to all of your DC for getting their chosen college & good luck to them for their futures xxx
Oh no! I'm guessing this is Performers? In the past year or two there's been comments about how difficult it can be to find accommodation around there. I remember someone flagging the accommodation situation as a concern when they took on more degree students the other year. It's not an area of the country that I'm familiar with and I may be mixing it up with a completely different drama school, but I remember talk of how some students would live in a different area and commute in. If no one can offer any ideas on here it might be worth trawling through an old thread (auditioning for 2020) and reading through, see if you can glean any ideas. Again I can't remember which drama school it was on about, but someone did say, at a place that lacks enough accommodation, that the first years have to 'suck it up' and just get what they can, then in 2nd and 3rd years they snap up available accommodation as they get wind of who is moving out first.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

We have finally found accommodation for bird that’s in walking distance. So my daughter is feeling happy about that. She’s started buying a few things for the house - just waiting on the uniform list now.
It’s all starting to go very quickly. She leaves her dance school this week, leaves her job next week and the A level nerves are setting in!
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

[/quote

This sounds very stressful.
Is there anyone at the college who can help?
They must have known it would be hard for people to find accommodation when the number of places increased.
I hope she manages to find somewhere and she isn’t suffering too badly with covid x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

[/quote

When my daughter did Pre-Voc there (just finished first year at Wilkes) the accommodation was tight and then they increased the numbers massively so knew there would be a problem. I know a lot of her friends lived in Basildon which is easily commutable by bus and after a few weeks they were car sharing so maybe look at surrounding areas. Dd was lucky to get a house in Stanford-le-Hope so only a 15-20min walk but I do remember finding accommodation was the most stressful part of the whole process for us, so good luck!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

[/quote

Oh my goodness, that is such a frustrating position to be in. Please don’t lose hope, after all her hard work she deserves to start in September. When we were trying to find accommodation here we were not having much luck at all. In the end, I had made calls to every estate agent etc on their accommodation list, as well as agencies I’d found on Right Move and left my details with each one. A few days later we got a couple of houses and bedrooms become available.

Send an email to the accommodation email address and explain the challenges that you are having. They are helpful and will try to help the best they can. Like what others have said, it might best to look a bit further out, eg Basildon. It will be a bus journey to and from however by the end of the year she will get one of the closer houses in Corringham. In the end Howgates Agents said they had a few houses coming up in August. My contact there Luke on 07834 832567 was super helpful. If you haven’t already leave your contact info with every available house and agency. Things come up last minute as people pull out and also after Aug 10 when A’level results are confirmed. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please let us know if you do manage to find something for her.
Last edited by anastasia79 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 am
We have finally found accommodation for bird that’s in walking distance. So my daughter is feeling happy about that. She’s started buying a few things for the house - just waiting on the uniform list now.
It’s all starting to go very quickly. She leaves her dance school this week, leaves her job next week and the A level nerves are setting in!
That’s fantastic news \:D/ !!! I bet she’s over the moon as she’s busy planning for September. It’s a lot isn’t it?! They have so much on their shoulders at this stage. My DD hasn’t started fretting yet about A’levels but I know once we get to the start of next week, it will sink in.