Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by icantdance »

DS showed me some of the posts from landlords. House shares seem to be quite cheap compared to where DS will be living in High Court, but by the time he sorted out his accommodation back in March, most of the local accommodation was full and he didn't want to be in halls. I think he's hoping to find somewhere cheaper for next year as the accommodation takes pretty much all of his maintenance loan! Easier to do when you know people and have made friends.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

Hi
Does anyone know of a flat/house share available for Urdang please for my DD starting her degree in September.
Thanks
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Grace03 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:36 am
EsmeraldaFudge wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm Bird College have sent accommodation list out. We decided that we want DS to go into halls as was getting anxious about house share and paying bills. Is anyone else going into halls?
Hi, I’m sure there will be others considering they are still working through the reserve list.
I would be happy for my daughter to go in halls. The only downside seems to be the short bus journey rather than being able to walk to college.
We spoke with a current first year who said most move out of halls after one year but that it’s sociable and a good place to start with.
My daughter is wanting a house share. We’re looking into a couple. I’ve suggested to her that if she can’t find something in the next two weeks then to go in halls. We need to find something of a similar cost to halls so that has restricted the options for a house share.
they are definitely working through list as we have been contacted.....DD has declined as we are already sorting stuff for elsewhere.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My dd is desperately looking for a flat/house share within cycling distance of Latimer Road so Ealing, Chiswick, Baron's Court, Shepherd's Bush etc. She does not want a party house.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

islandofsodor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm My dd is desperately looking for a flat/house share within cycling distance of Latimer Road so Ealing, Chiswick, Baron's Court, Shepherd's Bush etc. She does not want a party house.
If she hasn’t already, one option would be for her to place a free ad on Spare Room for what she’s looking for and the areas she would like. Good luck and I hope she finds something suitable in time for school. Here’s an example of a student share in Baron’s Court.

I’ve sent you a message.
Mumto3girls
Nominee

Post by Mumto3girls »

Please help!!! What shall I suggest to my daughter 🤦‍♀️😫
She's done everything herself upto now & has since been told she's mid to high on reserve list for Bird 😫 with no clue wether to accept Performers college and go there instead.
Downside to all of this is she put Greenwich uni down on student finance which has gone through, do we need to contact them to let them know it's going to change? If so when shall we do this?
As I said on previous post of mine were new to all of this so didn't really have a clue what to do 🤦‍♀️
She's now worrying about accomadation too 😥
I'm feeling a tad worried that she might just give up on it all if I'm honest as she's done everything that was asked and seems to be at a stand still with it 😫
anyone else feel like this?
Terri x
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Hi Terri - is this for the degree? Can you go through clearing at all? My dd has just graduated from Laine but her complete second choice all along was Performers it’s an amazing place two of her best friends went there also graduating this year and they’ve managed to perform at the BRITS and the Euro football opening ceremony no other colleges from what I can see have done a lot this year- so if she’s been offered a place there I’d definitely recommend accommodation is going fast though for what I can gather for September x
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Mumto3girls wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:58 pm Please help!!! What shall I suggest to my daughter 🤦‍♀️😫
She's done everything herself upto now & has since been told she's mid to high on reserve list for Bird 😫 with no clue wether to accept Performers college and go there instead.
Downside to all of this is she put Greenwich uni down on student finance which has gone through, do we need to contact them to let them know it's going to change? If so when shall we do this?
As I said on previous post of mine were new to all of this so didn't really have a clue what to do 🤦‍♀️
I'm feeling a tad worried that she might just give up on it all if I'm honest as she's done everything that was asked and seems to be at a stand still with it 😫
Terri x
Hi I’m not in this position but I know of someone who was offered a place at bird in the middle of august last year and she still managed to find accommodation.

I think if it was my daughter I would start looking for accommodation at performers and see what she finds. She might get chatting with people and start to feel more attached to it!

If you can afford it, I would also ring bird and ask if they can offer a diploma place with some funding instead. I know that if you accept a diploma place they will still let you stay on the waiting list for degree as my daughters friend has done this.

Then set a deadline. Make a decision by the end of July for example.
The deadline to apply for halls at bird isn’t until early august.

Not sure about the student finance question sorry.

Wishing her lots of luck. I’m sure it will work out.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Grace03 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:36 pm
Mumto3girls wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:58 pm Please help!!! What shall I suggest to my daughter 🤦‍♀️😫
Terri x
Hi I’m not in this position but I know of someone who was offered a place at bird in the middle of august last year and she still managed to find accommodation.

I think if it was my daughter I would start looking for accommodation at performers and see what she finds. She might get chatting with people and start to feel more attached to it!

If you can afford it, I would also ring bird and ask if they can offer a diploma place with some funding instead. I know that if you accept a diploma place they will still let you stay on the waiting list for degree as my daughters friend has done this.

Then set a deadline. Make a decision by the end of July for example.
The deadline to apply for halls at bird isn’t until early august.

Not sure about the student finance question sorry.

Wishing her lots of luck. I’m sure it will work out.
student finance can be changed up to September so don't worry about that
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

so it seems Masters Performing Arts is in trouble as all their new intake for Sept 21 has had emails offering alternate courses at either Urdang or Performers....not all equivalent courses either.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Belledancer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:29 pm Hi Terri - is this for the degree? Can you go through clearing at all? My dd has just graduated from Laine but her complete second choice all along was Performers it’s an amazing place two of her best friends went there also graduating this year and they’ve managed to perform at the BRITS and the Euro football opening ceremony no other colleges from what I can see have done a lot this year- so if she’s been offered a place there I’d definitely recommend accommodation is going fast though for what I can gather for September x
I don't know how clearing works for these courses as you need to have auditioned etc? But I hear that all get accommodation in the end.
Yes Performers have also had a graduation ceremony too, and they have had a marquee for shows so they do really seem to have made a big effort.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 pm so it seems Masters Performing Arts is in trouble as all their new intake for Sept 21 has had emails offering alternate courses at either Urdang or Performers....not all equivalent courses either.
Oh no, that’s tough! I really hope the students who had all accepted their places will find workable alternatives. Do you know why / what’s happened?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Terri x
Sorry I would also add that you can accept performers anyway on UCAS as Bird wait list is done directly. So you can still accept the place and then change student finance at a later date as that's a separate application so as long as it's done by the beginning of the course and they get the money paid to the right college that's fine. Good Luck!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 pm so it seems Masters Performing Arts is in trouble as all their new intake for Sept 21 has had emails offering alternate courses at either Urdang or Performers....not all equivalent courses either.
Oh no, that’s tough! I really hope the students who had all accepted their places will find workable alternatives. Do you know why / what’s happened?
I don't know but no 2021 intake....some have been offered pre-voc which is a lesser course than diploma at masters.

Also heard that Urdang have cancelled their AVT course due to lack of govt funding but unsure from which year that is.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:59 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 pm
I don't know but no 2021 intake....some have been offered pre-voc which is a lesser course than diploma at masters.

Also heard that Urdang have cancelled their AVT course due to lack of govt funding but unsure from which year that is.
You would think the Arts have taken enough of a hit without the government pulling funding from Urdang’s AVT course. My friend’s DD just completed her first year on the AVT and she will be completing her 2nd year. It appears it’ll happen from the 2022 intake.

It’s really sad. Maybe Masters had an incredibly low intake of students especially now that Performers who is nearby has increased their degree intake. Students will definitely choose degree funding over an unfunded diploma. We can only hope that Masters in time will get degree status or be able to offer DaDas which would help them massively.