Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by icantdance »

Hello everybody, I think it's time to start the 2021 thread. DS auditioned last year, was offered places but chose to stay at school at do A levels as he didn't feel he was ready to leave home. So once more we're back to the audition and nail biting merry-go-round!!! Obviously there hasn't been much face to face training recently but he's been doing plenty of Zoom classes. How's everybody else doing?
Grace03
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Grace03 »

Hello.
My daughter will also be applying for Sept 21 entry. She’s been doing classes on zoom but it’s not the same. She’s hoping for some face to face classes soon.
She has seen on social media a lot of ballet schools have announced today that there will be no auditions until Jan 21. Maybe musical theatre schools will make the same decision?
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

I'm not sure. At the moment they are posting audition dates and some of them are taking applications now. DS has identified his 'top 7' and is planning to audition for at least 6 of them. Mountview is offering 'earlybird' discounts if you do auditions in December but I think we'll have to wait and see if they take place that early. I suppose they could change the format to be individual auditions only and not classes.

Has your DD decided where she is auditioning yet? DS is doing the Urdang summer school (at home via Zoom) but even via Zoom that might be helpful, and probably more helpful than not doing it. As I said in your post, at least everybody is in the same boat, so nobody has been disadvantaged over other people. I would imagine that the overall standards in auditions for 2021 will be lower anyway, just because of the lack of 'proper' training for 6 months.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

She has some ideas but hasn’t made her final list yet. We’re going to do that over the summer and look at the application process. Next week they have a college session about writing their personal statement. Hoping in a month or so we’ll have more of a plan!

She is definitely looking at musical theatre with a dance focus rather than an acting focus. Ideally a degree which Is fully funded by student finance which limits the options. But we are going to look into a diploma and see if we could somehow make it work.
Dancermum70
Nominee

Post by Dancermum70 »

Not sure if the screenshot will show

The Hammond gave announced with some other schools that they are not starting auditions until January.
FB_IMG_1594396686007.jpg
(108.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

Hi everyone. My daughter will be applying for entry in 21/22. So glad for this thread. Hope to get to know you all over the next year!

She is applying for Musical theatre with a singing (but all round focus) so looking at GSA, Mountview etc
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Post by 2good2hurry »

On our list at the moment are GSA, Mountview, ArtsEd, Italia Conti, Emil Dale and Trinity Laban. We've discounted some because they seem to be more dance focussed courses (Urdang, performers, Laine etc). DD is a singer who can dance rather than the other way round Not sure about WIlke's - think that is more dance focussed too. So much to get to grips with. If i've missed any, please do let me know :D
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Hi 2good2hurry. We are also thinking now about auditions ready for 2021 entry. Similar list to you really except DD will be auditioning for some more dancey ones (generally as they take more students) as well as the ones she'd really like (eg Arts Ed, Mountview etc) as they appear to take so few. DD would love a true triple threat course as she sings and dances but most seem to be more biased towards one aspect or the other. Currently we'll just be glad to get back into the studios for face to face learning! Good luck with the ride ahead!
musicalmummy123
Nominee

Post by musicalmummy123 »

Hi guys, DS is just about to go into his second year at READ College on the musical theatre sixth form course. Doing list at the moment and he seems to be going for Bird, Italia Conti, Laine, Masters, PPA and Urdang but not set in stone yet. Scary to think auditions will come round so quickly.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about dance focused schools for students who are aiming to go into teaching? Thanks
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

KS Dance (Warrington) and Preston Dance College are the two that spring to mind for those aiming to go into teaching (dance). Obviously you could also look at the degree courses offered by RAD in London.

Urdang, Bird, The Hammond , Bodyworks Cambridge, Northern Ballet, Elmhurst Ballet, Trinity Laban, Northern Contemporary are all dance focused (or have dance option) but there are many more and you would probably need to check individually as to which offered dance teaching qualifications alongside as not all do
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Thank you.
We have considered KS dance but they don’t have degree funding. I know they have recently been given dada funding but my understanding is you can’t apply for this for a teaching course.
We will have look at Preston’s dance course.
MadMum3
Nominee

Post by MadMum3 »

My first post! Chichester College in conjunction with Chichester University offers various dance courses including ISTD ones. It offers the DDE in Ballet, Modern and Tap as a Foundation Degree so is eligible for student finance and there is an optional progression to a third year for the BA. Daughter is very happy doing this course.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

That sounds ideal thank you. Can I ask if you mean the costs of the teaching qualifications are included with the cost of the degree? Most places seem to offer them as an optional extra with additional payments.
MadMum3
Nominee

Post by MadMum3 »

This may not be quite right as I'll have to double check. Definitely the cost of one genre for DDE is included and then I think the students pay for the additional practical exams for any extra genre/s (some of the units are transferable) so the extra costs are comparatively small. The DDE is run parallel to the the Dance degree at the University so that the DDE students have the option of the 3rd year. If you look up Dance Teaching in the Private Sector it is on the UCAS site and it explains the content and breakdown of the course in detail.

According to its website the Dance degree at the University of Gloucestershire also offers the opportunity to take DDE exams.