Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Amf
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Amf »

lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Amf wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:15 pm
lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 am I said I'd update my news when I could. This week my daughter has received an offer for foundation at Rose Bruford and has decided to take it, over the degree offer she had for Acting at a less well known place.
Fantastic news lawn! Lots of planning to do no doubt now. Exciting times 😁
Certainly, last minute accommodation to find.

To anyone else also looking for somewhere to rent , please be very careful. We are still checking it out but we believe we have come very close to being scammed. Thankfully we hadn't parted with any money. Thank goodness for a husband who thought something wasn't ringing correct.

ETA - Yes, is a scam. Daughter has spoken to lady whose name and details are being used. It is part of a police investigation and she's asked us to report our case too. Daughter was on the official college page for finding somewhere but had responded to someone saying they knew someone.
Ouch…! Thank goodness you realised. Have been double checking ours now too but all looks in order!!!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Unless they are also paying your rent I think you’ll find it very difficult.

My daughter has just done a diploma but our earnings mean we only had to contribute about £1,000 percterm. The contact hours are nothing like a traditional degree. Pre-covid she was in college from 8.30am -6pm every day. Then there will be weeks when she had show rehearsals & performances. She worked Saturdays earning £50 per week (until covid hit). Her rent in a very cheap city was £119 per week.

She’s about to start a masters in London. After a search she’s just secured a room in a shared house for £540 per month plus bills. She’ll have to bus or tube in every day. The masters is slightly less intense hours 9.30am-5.30 Mon- Thursday and she’s just secured a job Where she will be working 2-3 evenings plus weekend days but we are still going to have to contribute towards her rent.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

There is a girl on Wiwikau Facebook group who has just been scammed.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 pm Unless they are also paying your rent I think you’ll find it very difficult.

My daughter has just done a diploma but our earnings mean we only had to contribute about £1,000 percterm. The contact hours are nothing like a traditional degree. Pre-covid she was in college from 8.30am -6pm every day. Then there will be weeks when she had show rehearsals & performances. She worked Saturdays earning £50 per week (until covid hit). Her rent in a very cheap city was £119 per week.

She’s about to start a masters in London. After a search she’s just secured a room in a shared house for £540 per month plus bills. She’ll have to bus or tube in every day. The masters is slightly less intense hours 9.30am-5.30 Mon- Thursday and she’s just secured a job Where she will be working 2-3 evenings plus weekend days but we are still going to have to contribute towards her rent.
Where did she find her room? After being almost stung once, we need to be careful about who we contact.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

evie03 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:25 am Hey guys!
Coming on here again after a while and seeing everyone talking about money got me thinking! I'm going to Laines in September and my parents are paying for my tuition (which I am super grateful for) but not any of my living costs, travel costs, uniform costs etc. This means I'll need to get a job as ofc Laines is a diploma and I don't think I could've gotten any other funding as my parents earn over the income bracket. I am quite worried about the stress and time management and my parents don't seem to understand!! Any suggestions?

Thank you :))
Oh bless you, like everyone else has said, definitely work during the summer as much as you can and save. This will help cushion you if find you can't work as much as you need to while you are studying. I hope you are living at home while you are at Laines? At least you won't have to worry about rent and food costs then. If not then I think it will be a lot for you... if you are at home then it is definitely do able. Unfortunately I don't know of any funding you would be entitled to but I wish you the best of luck. Maybe speak to Laine and see if they can help as I'm sure they have had many students in a similar position.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:54 am I said I'd update my news when I could. This week my daughter has received an offer for foundation at Rose Bruford and has decided to take it, over the degree offer she had for Acting at a less well known place.
Ah I'm glad your DD has made her decision! Exciting times ahead for her :)
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

lawn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Amf wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:15 pm
Fantastic news lawn! Lots of planning to do no doubt now. Exciting times 😁
Certainly, last minute accommodation to find.

To anyone else also looking for somewhere to rent , please be very careful. We are still checking it out but we believe we have come very close to being scammed. Thankfully we hadn't parted with any money. Thank goodness for a husband who thought something wasn't ringing correct.

ETA - Yes, is a scam. Daughter has spoken to lady whose name and details are being used. It is part of a police investigation and she's asked us to report our case too. Daughter was on the official college page for finding somewhere but had responded to someone saying they knew someone.
Congrats on Rose Bruford (and for avoiding a scam)! I'm sure it will all fall into place, we just have to push through the stress of it all first :lol:
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Thanks folks...

And we've pretty much sorted accommodation wise. Paid deposit, just haven't had the confirmation email through because the website went down but spoke to people private halls for students and they've got it and we've had our deposit confirmed. After last night's close shave and mindful that A level results is out tomorrow and then there may be a mad scramble for places, we booked today. Bit more expensive than we anticipated but very close to where she'll be studying, so eliminates the need for transport costs.

If you'd told me a week ago that we would be doing something entirely different to what we thought, I wouldn't have believed you. I also can't believe I'll be joining the auditioning for 2022 thread - gulp!
Coatsey
Nominee

Post by Coatsey »

My daughter accepted her degree place at ICT Brighton months ago ,
(Was through Performers, she wants to be a dancer), quite unknown at the moment but hearing good things, accommodation found and deposits paid etc. She has just received a degree offer today from Wilkes. She’s saying she wants to stick with ICT.
What are you your thoughts?
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Coatsey wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:14 pm My daughter accepted her degree place at ICT Brighton months ago ,
(Was through Performers, she wants to be a dancer), quite unknown at the moment but hearing good things, accommodation found and deposits paid etc. She has just received a degree offer today from Wilkes. She’s saying she wants to stick with ICT.
What are you your thoughts?
That’s a good position for her to be in 😁! My instinct would be to move her over to the Wilkes degree offer only because I’ve heard great things about them and I know very little about ICT Brighton. Maybe the best option would be to ask her why she would like to stick with ICT. It probably is because she’s now made friends and feels secure as things are all sorted. Sometimes it is a little scary for them to think about changing everything again so close to starting and having to readjust. If she still feels strongly about staying after that conversation I would support her decision. What would you prefer for her?
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Nice to see some new offers coming in!

Good luck to everyone getting their A level results tomorrow x
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Grace03 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:17 pm Nice to see some new offers coming in!

Good luck to everyone getting their A level results tomorrow x
Absolutely Grace, fingers crossed all those holding conditional offers get the grades they need tomorrow [-o<
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

lawn wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 am
islandofsodor wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 pm Unless they are also paying your rent I think you’ll find it very difficult.
Where did she find her room? After being almost stung once, we need to be careful about who we contact.
We found it on a Facebook group called Hustle Homes. It’s all people in the arts. It’s an existing house share. It was a house of 2020 MT/acting graduates but one has now got a job on tour. She was able to visit in person and meet them and it’s also via a high street agency.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:29 am
lawn wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 am
We found it on a Facebook group called Hustle Homes. It’s all people in the arts. It’s an existing house share. It was a house of 2020 MT/acting graduates but one has now got a job on tour. She was able to visit in person and meet them and it’s also via a high street agency.
Thank you. We're sorted now. We booked private halls yesterday as had concerns that todays sixth form results might mean even less available places. More than we ideally wanted to pay, considering it's only a 6 month course but close to where she will study, meaning no transport costs, so will save that way. I will remember the name of that group for future years though.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

How did all your DCs get on with their A level results? My DS was fine - no surprises and definitely into Bird. I hope you've all had good days and that all your DC's places have been confirmed :D