Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by icantdance »

Thanks everyone. I think we're giving him too much based on your replies. I think a £50 a month reduction would be sensible. As you say, start low and go up. My other son is 21 but stayed at home for university and is about to be a maths teacher. Slightly different to Bird DS but from 1st September he's paying us!!!
EsmeraldaFudge
Nominee

Post by EsmeraldaFudge »

We are going to give DS £80 every Monday (thought if we sent it on a Friday it would be spent in a bar somewhere over the weekend...)
We also pay his phone. He should have about £115 a term left over once his halls fees are paid for so will have that too. We are buying all his uniform etc
He has a job currently in a restaurant here at home and has just had a six week wage of £750 and that has gone into his account for him to take. I think he should be ok but will see. London is expensive isn't it so not sure how feasible it is but I can't afford to give more than that. Someone (?on here) said its very hard for them to have PT jobs as the course is so intense and long hours?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

ican'tdance - Is this for degree at Bird when he'll get a student loan even if it doesn't meet all living costs, or diploma where he might receive nothing in maintenance?

My son at Uni (not doing PA) we pay his rent in full, which also includes most bills and leave him his minimum loan (around £4k) to live on. He makes a small amount of money to supplement it doing some online work. He tends to receive any clothes or fancier toiletries as Xmas/birthday presents and we'd meet the cost of any larger item (eg with landlords permission, we bought a tumble dryer last year as they were struggling to get clothes dry). We do the first shop to set him up at the start of the year plus buy all the items he needed to set up living away from us (eg bedding, pots, pans, crockery etc)

For daughter she will get the same as her brother to live on though in a more expensive area of the country. We will also pay her rent and leave her living on her loan. Again we'll do a foodshop, buy all the unusual 'uni' items as above and in addition the kit she needs for starting drama school.

I asked a similar question on here when daughter was going to do foundation and the replies were look at what they would be allowed as maximum student loan deduct rent and give what's left minus any wages/savings child has to supplement this. I think some parents would find this cost to bear though.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

lawn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 pm ican'tdance - Is this for degree at Bird when he'll get a student loan even if it doesn't meet all living costs, or diploma where he might receive nothing in maintenance?

My son at Uni (not doing PA) we pay his rent in full, which also includes most bills and leave him his minimum loan (around £4k) to live on. He makes a small amount of money to supplement it doing some online work. He tends to receive any clothes or fancier toiletries as Xmas/birthday presents and we'd meet the cost of any larger item (eg with landlords permission, we bought a tumble dryer last year as they were struggling to get clothes dry). We do the first shop to set him up at the start of the year plus buy all the items he needed to set up living away from us (eg bedding, pots, pans, crockery etc)

For daughter she will get the same as her brother to live on though in a more expensive area of the country. We will also pay her rent and leave her living on her loan. Again we'll do a foodshop, buy all the unusual 'uni' items as above and in addition the kit she needs for starting drama school.

I asked a similar question on here when daughter was going to do foundation and the replies were look at what they would be allowed as maximum student loan deduct rent and give what's left minus any wages/savings child has to supplement this. I think some parents would find this cost to bear though.
Lawn - it's degree but he's left with about £200 a month after accommodation costs. We're going to top it up to £480 a month now after all the replies on here. He does eat a lot so £200 a month wouldn't be enough. But we be also agreed that he won't get any more!!! Generous but not too OTT hopefully.
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

lawn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 pm I asked a similar question on here when daughter was going to do foundation and the replies were look at what they would be allowed as maximum student loan deduct rent and give what's left minus any wages/savings child has to supplement this. I think some parents would find this cost to bear though.
This is exactly how we worked it out too.
£5000 short of maximum student loan so we worked it out as £500 per month.
Hoping not to have to give her much in July /august when she’s at home and can get a summer job.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I was also thinking of giving our contribution weekly to start with to help DD budget. I think things will also depend on their flatmates and whether they can share shopping and cooking etc. DD has a job offer for Saturdays but I really wonder if it'll be too much in the first term. And the issue of drying clothes has raised its head as no outdoor space but I think we'll have to see how that goes. Hubby and I are collecting the keys tomorrow as DD is away rehearsing. Can't wait to see her flat. I think I'm as excited about this new venture as she is! Good luck with it all everyone!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm I was also thinking of giving our contribution weekly to start with to help DD budget. I think things will also depend on their flatmates and whether they can share shopping and cooking etc. DD has a job offer for Saturdays but I really wonder if it'll be too much in the first term. And the issue of drying clothes has raised its head as no outdoor space but I think we'll have to see how that goes. Hubby and I are collecting the keys tomorrow as DD is away rehearsing. Can't wait to see her flat. I think I'm as excited about this new venture as she is! Good luck with it all everyone!
Amo185 we've bought DS a Dry Soon airer from Lakeland (the mini version). He has a tumble dryer in his flat but a lot of their dance clothes aren't tumble dry able and will need washing regularly. It's electric. You'll see what I mean if you have a look and we've bought the cover as well. It folds flat when not in use.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

icantdance wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:25 pm
amo185 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 pm I was also thinking of giving our contribution weekly to start with to help DD budget. I think things will also depend on their flatmates and whether they can share shopping and cooking etc. DD has a job offer for Saturdays but I really wonder if it'll be too much in the first term. And the issue of drying clothes has raised its head as no outdoor space but I think we'll have to see how that goes. Hubby and I are collecting the keys tomorrow as DD is away rehearsing. Can't wait to see her flat. I think I'm as excited about this new venture as she is! Good luck with it all everyone!
Amo185 we've bought DS a Dry Soon airer from Lakeland (the mini version). He has a tumble dryer in his flat but a lot of their dance clothes aren't tumble dry able and will need washing regularly. It's electric. You'll see what I mean if you have a look and we've bought the cover as well. It folds flat when not in use.
Top tip! My dd is moving into a flat and this will be perfect. Thank you!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Ooh - thank you for that tip! Will have a look. Sounds perfect! x
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:25 am Ooh - thank you for that tip! Will have a look. Sounds perfect! x
It's an electric heated airer. The big one is too big for his room but we went to the huge Lakeland store in Windermere and the mini 3 tier is perfect. I must warn you that the box is the size of a small door!!! But yes, perfect for dancers and things that you can't tumble dry. Apparently costs 1p per hour to run, so they say!
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

lawn wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:58 pm ican'tdance - Is this for degree at Bird when he'll get a student loan even if it doesn't meet all living costs, or diploma where he might receive nothing in maintenance?

This is what we have done too with our other DD and will do for DD going to GSA, we worked out her student loan will give her £488 per month if split over the 9 or so months she will be there during the year. She will work when she can to top up! Luckily I think PA courses are so full on that they will be too tired during the week to spend too much :)
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

icantdance wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:36 am
amo185 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:25 am Ooh - thank you for that tip! Will have a look. Sounds perfect! x
It's an electric heated airer. The big one is too big for his room but we went to the huge Lakeland store in Windermere and the mini 3 tier is perfect. I must warn you that the box is the size of a small door!!! But yes, perfect for dancers and things that you can't tumble dry. Apparently costs 1p per hour to run, so they say!
ooh this sounds fab. I am going to take a look as last year my DD was living in halls during her foundation year and found getting her clothes dry, especially her dance wear and uniform tracksuit a nightmare to get dry. She would have it hanging up all over her tiny room and it still wouldn't be dry after 2 days! This sounds like exactly what she needs :)
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

With 5 weeks to go till daughter started her acting degree at drama school, today she has had an offer from a more prestigious place for foundation! Arrgghhh, not sure what we're doing yet.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

lawn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm With 5 weeks to go till daughter started her acting degree at drama school, today she has had an offer from a more prestigious place for foundation! Arrgghhh, not sure what we're doing yet.
They don’t make it easy do they!🤦🏽‍♀️My DS has decided & I’ve paid the first term’s rent to ensure there will be no more changes now! Good luck with your decision!!😭
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

lawn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm With 5 weeks to go till daughter started her acting degree at drama school, today she has had an offer from a more prestigious place for foundation! Arrgghhh, not sure what we're doing yet.
Oh gosh! Where has she been offered? How does your DD feel about it?