Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mumto3girls
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Mumto3girls »

Belledancer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:29 pm Hi Terri - is this for the degree? Can you go through clearing at all? My dd has just graduated from Laine but her complete second choice all along was Performers it’s an amazing place two of her best friends went there also graduating this year and they’ve managed to perform at the BRITS and the Euro football opening ceremony no other colleges from what I can see have done a lot this year- so if she’s been offered a place there I’d definitely recommend accommodation is going fast though for what I can gather for September x
Hi yes she's been accepted for Degree for performers, she got an email from Bird asking if she wanted to stay on the list or wether she would like to go for diploma instead, she's hanging in there for the degree 🤞 I guess we will just have to sit back & see what happens. Thanks for your replies guys x
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:10 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:59 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:40 pm

Oh no, that’s tough! I really hope the students who had all accepted their places will find workable alternatives. Do you know why / what’s happened?
I don't know but no 2021 intake....some have been offered pre-voc which is a lesser course than diploma at masters.

Also heard that Urdang have cancelled their AVT course due to lack of govt funding but unsure from which year that is.
You would think the Arts have taken enough of a hit without the government pulling funding from Urdang’s AVT course. My friend’s DD just completed her first year on the AVT and she will be completing her 2nd year. It appears it’ll happen from the 2022 intake.

It’s really sad. Maybe Masters had an incredibly low intake of students especially now that Performers who is nearby has increased their degree intake. Students will definitely choose degree funding over an unfunded diploma. We can only hope that Masters in time will get degree status or be able to offer DaDas which would help them massively.
Yes it is a shame, as I think they can offer some funding but it must be from their own funds.You're right, given the chance many will opt for degree over these courses due to the funding issues.....although the ones we know of hadn't got offers initially from any degree courses so I suppose it makes sense that they aren't being offered to transfer to those if they were initially unsuccessful at gaining a place as I am sure Urdang and Performers have wait lists already so it wouldn't be fair to queue jump. We have heard some may have been offered money off Urdang foundation and diploma courses though.I think it's an option of Urdang diploma/foundation with money off or Performers BTEC course.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 pm so it seems Masters Performing Arts is in trouble as all their new intake for Sept 21 has had emails offering alternate courses at either Urdang or Performers....not all equivalent courses either.
Dd did pre-voc at Performers last year so has friends there and a couple who moved to Masters. Been told on the pre-voc friends chat today that Performers have bought Masters. First years will be at Performers campus (not sure what course they’re on) and Masters campus will just have 2rd and 3rd years. Interesting purchase as Performers just seems to grow and grow!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Especially as BIMM now own Performers as well as Northern Ballet School.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:00 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 pm so it seems Masters Performing Arts is in trouble as all their new intake for Sept 21 has had emails offering alternate courses at either Urdang or Performers....not all equivalent courses either.
Dd did pre-voc at Performers last year so has friends there and a couple who moved to Masters. Been told on the pre-voc friends chat today that Performers have bought Masters. First years will be at Performers campus (not sure what course they’re on) and Masters campus will just have 2rd and 3rd years. Interesting purchase as Performers just seems to grow and grow!
In one way I’m happy all the staff won’t lose their jobs and the students are sorted with an option. On the other hand Performers is getting bigger and bigger. I hope their expansion doesn’t affect their end quality. Saying that they have done well this year in challenging circumstances giving their students the chance to perform at the Brits and recently at the closing ceremony for the Euros.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:03 pm Especially as BIMM now own Performers as well as Northern Ballet School.
Really??? I never knew that.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:00 pm
That's interesting as didn't know they had bought them although I think they do share some staff anyway....some we know at masters were offered BTEC ? at performers or money off diploma or foundation at Urdang so it seems some have had a choice.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Performers offer the Level 3 RSL Extended Diploma which is equivalent to the Btec just a different exam board. But if you've already done a Level 3 qualification or are over 18 you can't get funding for it.
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it's been super helpful in navigating this process!! Dd has accepted a spot in the Mountview mt foundation program and has confirmed her room at Bernard Myers student hall!! so excited for her to begin this exciting journey- thank goodness for FaceTime ;)
Just waiting for Canada to be moved up to the green list so we don't have to plan extra time to quarantine (double vaxxed and ready to go!)
Excitingtimes
Nominee

Post by Excitingtimes »

canadianJo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm Just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it's been super helpful in navigating this process!! Dd has accepted a spot in the Mountview mt foundation program and has confirmed her room at Bernard Myers student hall!! so excited for her to begin this exciting journey- thank goodness for FaceTime ;)
Just waiting for Canada to be moved up to the green list so we don't have to plan extra time to quarantine (double vaxxed and ready to go!)
Great news, my DD also starts in September and will be in Bernard Myers. I'm sure they wil have an amazing time. Fingers crosed for the green list!
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

Excitingtimes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:10 pm
canadianJo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm Just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this forum, it's been super helpful in navigating this process!! Dd has accepted a spot in the Mountview mt foundation program and has confirmed her room at Bernard Myers student hall!! so excited for her to begin this exciting journey- thank goodness for FaceTime ;)
Great news, my DD also starts in September and will be in Bernard Myers. I'm sure they wil have an amazing time. Fingers crosed for the green list!
Oh fantastic!! did you get a chance to visit Bernard Myers?
Excitingtimes
Nominee

Post by Excitingtimes »

canadianJo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:58 pm
Excitingtimes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:10 pm
Oh fantastic!! did you get a chance to visit Bernard Myers?
No, we did have a tour of Mountview which looks fantastic and took a walk to Bernard Myers (about 15 minutes) but only saw it from the outside. Looks nice from outside though!
Dancindan
Nominee

Post by Dancindan »

Maybe a strange question but does anyone know a way to get around filling in medical forms, my daughter rang up her GP and they said they would charge her £50 just to sign the document! Unfortunately we just don’t have that disposable income, anyone who can help?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Unfortunately it's luck of the draw.

Our Dr didn't charge because it turns out he went to school in the same city as dd's college and used to share a bus with students from there but ther should have been a charge.