Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by amo185 »

Second round of Laine offers only came out today so it may be a week before those DADA forms are all returned and the Talent Register compiled.
I'm not sure if they put all 200 offers into the list or just those needing funding or whether they give DADA offers and put the rest in order of audition scoring but I hope it's sorted soon. ArtsEd have said they are sorting DADAs this month - which I find odd as some people are not recalled until May or June but I guess it depends on what "sorting" means! I really hope that everyone who needs funding to train gets what they need.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Icklemom3 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 pm Hi - this is my first post but I have been following the thread with great interest! After receiving her degree offer from Bird my DD was ‘absolutely certain’ that’s where she was going. She has since received an offer from Laine and it’s thrown a huge, unexpected spanner in the works. We’ve tried doing the pros and cons lists - they end up equal...So I’m now following this Laine discussion hoping to find something to sway us! One thing we did wonder was how the accommodation works at Laine. Is it just shared houses or is there official ‘Student Accommodation’? And once you’ve decided you’re going there is the accommodation easy to sort out? We have some info on Bird and what might be available once they send out accommodation packs in July but we still feel a little in the dark when it comes to what happens at Laine. Any info from any of you who might know would be gratefully received!
Hi, my DS is going to Bird (but a DaDA from Laine would confuse him) and he already has a place in a student flat reserved. I can't speak for Laine as I have no idea, but for Bird I would suggest that your DD joins the snapchat groups if she hasn't already. I think 'degree birdies' might be the best one. They all talk about accommodation and all sorts on there (and have regular Zoom chats and quizzes and stuff), but the accommodation is almost gone close by to Bird already. DS has space in his flat for 2 more 1st year girls if she is interested (so PM me) but it's a strange setup and those in the student flats get to 'choose' their flatmates so he struggled a bit as mostly the girls wanted other girls with them. The other accommodation is over at Greenwich University at Avery Hill halls although I guess some students will just rent flats or houses together.

My only issue with Laine is financial. Even with a full DaDA you would have to pay for everything else yourself - no maintenance grant at all, and that really and truly puts it out of our reach (and he wouldn't get a full DaDA). Their fees are about £18k so even an 80% DaDA makes it £3600 a year plus accommodation and living expenses.
Nic16977
Nominee

Post by Nic16977 »

I’m not sure if anyone knows this already, but being in receipt of DaDA funding automatically reduces the fees, even if you don’t qualify for full funding. For example, diploma fees at Bird are £9250, same as a degree, but receiving any DaDA funding reduces that to just over £7k (approximately). This is the case whichever school you go to. If you’re not entitled to the full DaDA, depending on your income you only pay a top up rather than the rest of the full advertised fees. If your household income is up to £30k you are also entitled to some maintenance.

So if your household income is £50k you would pay £1275 per year towards the fees, regardless of what the advertised fees are. I only know this because my daughter qualified for full DaDA at Bird, when the final paperwork came through it said it would cover the fees of just over £7k and I rang up to query who would make up the shortfall, and that’s when I found out. Hope that helps anyone who is confused by DaDA funding (I was!), the thresholds are on the gov website 😊
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Thanks Nic16977, that makes it much clearer!!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

icantdance wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:42 pm

Hi, my DS is going to Bird (but a DaDA from Laine would confuse him) and he already has a place in a student flat reserved. I can't speak for Laine as I have no idea, but for Bird I would suggest that your DD joins the snapchat groups if she hasn't already. I think 'degree birdies' might be the best one. They all talk about accommodation and all sorts on there (and have regular Zoom chats and quizzes and stuff), but the accommodation is almost gone close by to Bird already. DS has space in his flat for 2 more 1st year girls if she is interested (so PM me) but it's a strange setup and those in the student flats get to 'choose' their flatmates so he struggled a bit as mostly the girls wanted other girls with them. The other accommodation is over at Greenwich University at Avery Hill halls although I guess some students will just rent flats or houses together.

My DD is at Bird, in her final year, and we also let out a room in our house to Bird Sudents.

The college will send a list of landlords / landladies and host families out, usually around June I believe. It also has details of local estate agents and of course the Avery Hill accommodation, which is sorted through the University of Greenwich

It is a bit of mad scramble when the list comes out but everyone seems to find somewhere each year
Dancindan
Nominee

Post by Dancindan »

amo185 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm Second round of Laine offers only came out today so it may be a week before those DADA forms are all returned and the Talent Register compiled.
I'm not sure if they put all 200 offers into the list or just those needing funding or whether they give DADA offers and put the rest in order of audition scoring but I hope it's sorted soon. ArtsEd have said they are sorting DADAs this month - which I find odd as some people are not recalled until May or June but I guess it depends on what "sorting" means! I really hope that everyone who needs funding to train gets what they need.
Is it 200 places they’ve given out this year? DD is deciding what’s best for her so it’s good to hear how big the years for each place will be. I know the current first year are around 65 so it’s a big jump.
Nic16977
Nominee

Post by Nic16977 »

icantdance wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks Nic16977, that makes it much clearer!!
Pleasure! It’s all very confusing!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Dancindan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:21 pm
amo185 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm Second round of Laine offers only came out today so it may be a week before those DADA forms are all returned and the Talent Register compiled.
Is it 200 places they’ve given out this year? DD is deciding what’s best for her so it’s good to hear how big the years for each place will be. I know the current first year are around 65 so it’s a big jump.
I heard they were taking on 85 max per year, so if that’s for 1st year diploma and foundation students that would be 170. I’m assuming they and all other schools over offer as some will decline and choose other schools. If they’ve offered 200 places for the diploma that’s a huge increase.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Here's the income scales and the parental contribution for Dadas. They don't really work for us because we have to add on 'benefits in kind' (eg company car & petrol) to husband's salary and when I work, my income is 'spare' to help with student children's expenses but that pushes us towards the top end of the income scale. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year
Dancindan
Nominee

Post by Dancindan »

anastasia79 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm
I heard they were taking on 85 max per year, so if that’s for 1st year diploma and foundation students that would be 170. I’m assuming they and all other schools over offer as some will decline and choose other schools. If they’ve offered 200 places for the diploma that’s a huge increase.
Their foundation is often really small from what I’ve seen, 15-25 people maybe?
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Dancindan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:55 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm
Their foundation is often really small from what I’ve seen, 15-25 people maybe?
If that’s the case, that’s a huge increase. Those numbers will rival the other big schools like Performers and Bird.
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

Of the 200 offered, I suspect many can only go if offered a DADA & many will go elsewhere as they will have multiple offers, so the year group will be around 85. The current 2nd years have around 95 and the first years have fewer.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

At the Open Day (pre Covid) Laine said they usually offer around 200 places and expect an intake of around 80 for the diploma. Miss Wilson said they can never predict the exact number as many young people get multiple offers - it's varied from 62 to 92 approx in recent years (current students will obviously know the exact numbers). Some people who initially think they cannot afford a place without a DADA then find they can. Others can't afford it even with a DADA. She said the number who get funding is also rather unpredictable. How far the pot stretches depends on family incomes. I thought they were very honest about their numbers and situation. Laine is a great place to train with a great reputation in the industry - DD has always been impressed - but is a huge cost so it will come down to individual circumstances. I still don't understand why they cannot run a three year degree course like all other colleges do now.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

amo185 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:50 pm At the Open Day (pre Covid) Laine said they usually offer around 200 places and expect an intake of around 80 for the diploma. Miss Wilson said they can never predict the exact number as many young people get multiple offers - it's varied from 62 to 92 approx in recent years (current students will obviously know the exact numbers). Some people who initially think they cannot afford a place without a DADA then find they can. Others can't afford it even with a DADA. She said the number who get funding is also rather unpredictable. How far the pot stretches depends on family incomes. I thought they were very honest about their numbers and situation. Laine is a great place to train with a great reputation in the industry - DD has always been impressed - but is a huge cost so it will come down to individual circumstances. I still don't understand why they cannot run a three year degree course like all other colleges do now.
That makes things quite clear, thanks for explaining. I’m very curious why their diploma cost is so much more than others. I also don’t understand why they can’t offer a degree option, especially with the reputation that they have within the industry. Is it because currently even with less students their earning power is more than if they offered a degree?
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

Hello everyone.

We’re in the lucky position now of having all my daughters results so I haven’t been reading this for the last week or so. Congratulations on all the recent offers x

My daughter withdrew from Laine purely for financial reasons before she even received her audition outcome. We discussed it last year and she knew that as soon as had a degree offer for anywhere she had to withdraw from any diplomas. It really is a shame that students have to make these decisions based on how much their parents can afford to support them!

I just wanted to ask if anyone has managed to visit bird or performers yet? Even just to see it from the outside? Did you find it helpful. It’s a long journey for us so it would be easier to go once the hotels are able to open.
My daughters teacher is slightly swaying towards recommending bird. But performers is much more active on social media so it’s easier to get a bit of an insight. People keep telling her she’s very lucky to be in this position (and she really does know that’s true) but she is struggling to make a choice.