Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by anastasia79 »

kat16 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 pm Hi everyone, first time posting, but this board has been a huge help through these stressful few months. Congrats to everyone with offers so far. My DD has just had a rejection from Performers but has been told her videos have been sent over to IC Theatre Brighton (also part of BIMM as is Performers) as they feel she is well suited to there. Does anyone on here have any experience of IC Theatre Brighton (formerly called BRICTT) ? We have no more info on what this means but assume they are now reviewing her audition videos.
Hi Kat, nice to have you here. Like Dancelifemum has said, I’ve heard of two parents here whose DD’s have received offers from Brighton after Performers passed their recordings over to them.
kat16
Nominee

Post by kat16 »

anastasia79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:12 am
kat16 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 pm Hi everyone, first time posting, but this board has been a huge help through these stressful few months. Congrats to everyone with offers so far. My DD has just had a rejection from Performers but has been told her videos have been sent over to IC Theatre Brighton (also part of BIMM as is Performers) as they feel she is well suited to there. Does anyone on here have any experience of IC Theatre Brighton (formerly called BRICTT) ? We have no more info on what this means but assume they are now reviewing her audition videos.
Hi Kat, nice to have you here. Like Dancelifemum has said, I’ve heard of two parents here whose DD’s have received offers from Brighton after Performers passed their recordings over to them.
Thanks Anastasia79 this forum has been brilliant. My DD has now researched Brighton and is really interested so fingers crossed.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am
dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 am
anastasia79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 am

I’m genuinely so pleased for her as I remember how stressful things were for you! Does she have an idea of where she would like to go in September? Like you, I’m not sure I’d want to know where my DD would fall on that ‘talent register’. She’s now completing her Urdang recall and hopefully once she’s had that reply (yes or no) she can decide where she would like to go. Until then I can’t relax, as based on where she chooses I’ll need to find her accommodation.
Thank you! Yes we are relieved to know, just will be the big decision to be made ....hopefully she can stop changing her mind!

Yes like you I need to know I can sort accommodation as it falls to us rather than reg uni halls...unless she chooses Wilkes. Top 3 are Urdang Performers Wilkes but I think she sways between location v smaller/ larger college etc...
My DD’s top 3 has changed since the start of auditioning to now. She’s now deciding between Performers, Bird and Urdang. We’ve got fingers crossed that after she submits her recall videos for Urdang tomorrow she’ll get an offer in a few weeks. If Urdang is a no, I think she’ll choose Performers unless she throws me a curve ball and changes her mind again.
yes same here ...I think she wants Urdang then she says possibly thinks it might Performers as we know many that are happy there. It isn't too far away. Laine offer is the curve ball too.... sometimes others opinions sway them back n forth too
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 am
anastasia79 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am
dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 am

Thank you! Yes we are relieved to know, just will be the big decision to be made ....hopefully she can stop changing her mind!

Yes like you I need to know I can sort accommodation as it falls to us rather than reg uni halls...unless she chooses Wilkes. Top 3 are Urdang Performers Wilkes but I think she sways between location v smaller/ larger college etc...
My DD’s top 3 has changed since the start of auditioning to now. She’s now deciding between Performers, Bird and Urdang. We’ve got fingers crossed that after she submits her recall videos for Urdang tomorrow she’ll get an offer in a few weeks. If Urdang is a no, I think she’ll choose Performers unless she throws me a curve ball and changes her mind again.
yes same here ...I think she wants Urdang then she says possibly thinks it might Performers as we know many that are happy there. It isn't too far away. Laine offer is the curve ball too.... sometimes others opinions sway them back n forth too
My daughter did Pre-Voc at Performers and didn’t find it as out on a limb as a lot suggest. It is convenient for accommodation and being right on the edge of Stanford/Corringham a lot are within walking distance, there are also a lot of facilities close by like supermarkets, pharmacies etc. For nights out (whatever they are) they all went to Inn on the Green which is in Stanford and has a dance floor, or they got a taxi into Basildon. Lakeside is only 25mins away and my daughter went by bus a couple of times (which does take longer). The train from Stanford or Basildon takes them into central London in around 40mins so yes, it is further out than Bird but I think its location gets a bad rap, and it is also cheap rent, my daughter paid £420pm in 2019/2020 which is cheaper than Swindon (for Wilkes). Just basically wanted to say, don’t disregard Performers because of the location as in practise it’s a lot better than it first appears.
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:00 pm
evie03 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm Hi! I'm a student going into training this September but I'm finding it so hard to decide between schools as I haven't been able to visit any except Urdang (I did their pre-audition course). :? I've got into London Studio Centre, Laines and Bird so far and am waiting to hear from Performers and I have to submit my Urdang recall.
I was wondering if anyone else was having problems deciding too and if so, how you're making those decisions! Thank you :)
Congrats on all your offers, you’ve done really well \:D/ \:D/!!! My DD is in a similar position at the moment trying to make a decision. If you can visit the schools even if you can’t go inside due to Covid, it will help you to have a feel of the location and the surrounding areas. I’ve done that with her for a few schools so far and it’s helped. As a student what were your impressions of Urdang when you did the pre audition course?
Thank you!! I'll definitely try to look around the area that's a good idea. Honestly I loved Urdang so much - the teachers were great and want to see you suceed and the atmosphere there was lovely as well, but my teachers and loads of my friends aren't keen on it :/ My teachers don't seem to think I'll improve as much for some reason and my friends say it seems too focused on flexibility
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

lawn wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm
evie03 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:58 pm Hi! I'm a student going into training this September but I'm finding it so hard to decide between schools as I haven't been able to visit any except Urdang (I did their pre-audition course). :? I've got into London Studio Centre, Laines and Bird so far and am waiting to hear from Performers and I have to submit my Urdang recall.
I was wondering if anyone else was having problems deciding too and if so, how you're making those decisions! Thank you :)
Have you had a look at the funding for all your offers? Are they affordable? A quick peek at LSC for example says their fees are slightly over £15K and you can borrow just over £6K from the student loan company towards it. Is this financially feasible? What about the rest. Have you been offered a Dada/scholarship by Laine?I *think* they only offer degree top up and therefore student loan finance for the last year - I might be wrong.

If you're fortunate that finances don't have to make the choice for you, are you on social media for drama school applications and could ask a current student at each what a typical day/week timetable consists of? Have a look at what each of the schools alumni are doing? I think to go and look on the outside of the building and get a 'feel' for the surrounding area is good advice too. We intend doing this soon with where my daughter has been offered.
Yes, I'm so lucky that my parents said they'll pay (I'll get a job as well to help cover living costs) but I do feel bad as it's so expensive and they've already paid for all my training over the years too. I've been in contact with 1 or 2 people from each school but of course they all only say the pros so it's hard to get an accurate reading... I will definitely try to look around!
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

amo185 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm Great set of offers evie03. Might depend on whether dance or MT is the goal. Plus degree or diploma. Laine top up degree is not eligible for student finance so is an additional cost. Where are you at the moment and what do your teachers advise? They should know the colleges and be able to advise you accordingly. Lovely dilemma though! Well done!
Thank you!! I don't mind degree or diploma and I want to go into MT but with a dance focus (probably ensemble stuff as I don't think my singing or acting is strong enough haha). I'm currently waiting on Urdang and Performers but my top school out of the offers I have is Laines. My dream school has always been Urdang but my teachers don't like it which is confusing ne so much as they would probably know more than me and have had students go there! They are definitely pushing for Laines... I'll have to see what Urdang says ofc if they say no it will make my decision easier!
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am
Well done to you! My DD is in a similar position as she is unsure based on all pros cons....she loved Urdang pre audition and other courses plus it is London so has a great vibe, but living expenses would be more expensive. Laine has a good reputation but less commercial and will cost 18k without dada funding so that' s maybe a factor? We know a lot of pupils at Performers also a great reputation but larger and out of London, as is Bird. LSC needs top up funding as not all cost covered by the student finance and has shared facilities I believe the we visited. All personal factors...but maybe you can ask older students you know? It is tough but I am sure wherever you decide you can take what you need from most of these courses.
Oh yes, your DD sounds in a very similar position! Commercial isn't my strong point anyway but Laines just seems so traditional... Idk they seem like they would be kind of uptight all the time - I'm sure that's not true but idk! I didn't know that about LSC so good to know. The only thing with asking other students is that they are all so positive and enthusiastic about their schools so it doesn't really help that much apart from knowing timetables and such!
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

evie03 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:06 am
dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 am
Well done to you! My DD is in a similar position as she is unsure based on all pros cons....she loved Urdang pre audition and other courses plus it is London so has a great vibe, but living expenses would be more expensive. Laine has a good reputation but less commercial and will cost 18k without dada funding so that' s maybe a factor? We know a lot of pupils at Performers also a great reputation but larger and out of London, as is Bird. LSC needs top up funding as not all cost covered by the student finance and has shared facilities I believe the we visited. All personal factors...but maybe you can ask older students you know? It is tough but I am sure wherever you decide you can take what you need from most of these courses.
Oh yes, your DD sounds in a very similar position! Commercial isn't my strong point anyway but Laines just seems so traditional... Idk they seem like they would be kind of uptight all the time - I'm sure that's not true but idk! I didn't know that about LSC so good to know. The only thing with asking other students is that they are all so positive and enthusiastic about their schools so it doesn't really help that much apart from knowing timetables and such!
Hi, Paulears used to post in this group a few years back and used to say that Laine graduates were very good and regarded highly be CD, particularly for dance.
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

evie03 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 am
lawn wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:28 pm
Have you had a look at the funding for all your offers? Are they affordable? A quick peek at LSC for example says their fees are slightly over £15K and you can borrow just over £6K from the student loan company towards it. Is this financially feasible? What about the rest. Have you been offered a Dada/scholarship by Laine?I *think* they only offer degree top up and therefore student loan finance for the last year - I might be wrong.

If you're fortunate that finances don't have to make the choice for you, are you on social media for drama school applications and could ask a current student at each what a typical day/week timetable consists of? Have a look at what each of the schools alumni are doing? I think to go and look on the outside of the building and get a 'feel' for the surrounding area is good advice too. We intend doing this soon with where my daughter has been offered.
Yes, I'm so lucky that my parents said they'll pay (I'll get a job as well to help cover living costs) but I do feel bad as it's so expensive and they've already paid for all my training over the years too. I've been in contact with 1 or 2 people from each school but of course they all only say the pros so it's hard to get an accurate reading... I will definitely try to look around!
Hi Evie,

I have sent you a PM with a parent's perspective of Laine. :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Laine's can be a bit marmite. The training there is fantastic, very technical and Miss Laine loves her ballet but I think you have to be a certain personality to thrive there.
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

islandofsodor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am Laine's can be a bit marmite. The training there is fantastic, very technical and Miss Laine loves her ballet but I think you have to be a certain personality to thrive there.
That's what I thought tbh which is why I would have loved to visit :/ Personally I feel like Urdang values individuality more and Laines kind of wants people to be similiar? Of course this is what I've got just from looking on websites and promo videos so I could be completely wrong! What do you mean by having a certain personality for Laines?
Dancindan
Nominee

Post by Dancindan »

If anyone has any inside insights of laines it would be super helpful, I saw the ‘marmite’ comment and know that’s what DD is scared of, she’s having the Normal panic that she won’t fit in and will have a panic. She’s not a dancer which is why we went for laines as it seems to produce more than just ensemble, but she’s afraid that she’ll be so far behind her peers and she’ll get no support in singing, MT and acting. If anyone could give their ops that would be amazing :))
evie03
Nominee

Post by evie03 »

Dancindan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:31 pm If anyone has any inside insights of laines it would be super helpful, I saw the ‘marmite’ comment and know that’s what DD is scared of, she’s having the Normal panic that she won’t fit in and will have a panic. She’s not a dancer which is why we went for laines as it seems to produce more than just ensemble, but she’s afraid that she’ll be so far behind her peers and she’ll get no support in singing, MT and acting. If anyone could give their ops that would be amazing :))
I know that Laines is definitely more focused on dance but they do produce amazing singers and actors as well. That's one of the main reasons my singing teacher prefers it over Urdang - she said Laines is probably on par with Arts Ed for singing (not sure how true this is but it's what she seems to think)!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

evie03, I’m really happy you asked for help re the schools as the various replies is really helping to put things into perspective for my daughter. It’s good to hear that Urdang is more commercial based and likes individuality as that’s what she wants. Laines also would make her into a really good dancer but I’m not sure her chilled personality would thrive there.