Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by jasmine2 »

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/essex/corringham There seem to be a few on here with more added daily if that helps..
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Anyone looking for accommodation for Italia Conti in Guildford, Guilden student village has a number of first years booked in & they are all in the same area of the halls so a definite plus…the new manager is super helpful & nice so we would definitely recommend it
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:08 pm
Grace03 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 am
anastasia79 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:05 pm Just popping on to say hi to everyone and to see if you're all sorted / nearly sorted now for schools and accommodation for September. It's been one hell of an audition year and I really do hope that we've seen the worst of this pandemic and that all our DC's who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much can have a normal / semi-normal year starting this September. After all the stresses of the online filming etc, she is enjoying finally being on holiday after saying goodbye to all her dance family after 14 years over the weekend. Now all she is focused on is relaxing, enjoying the Summer and choosing and ordering all her uniform :D =D> :lol: . I would love to hear how everyone is doing.
We have finally found accommodation for bird that’s in walking distance. So my daughter is feeling happy about that. She’s started buying a few things for the house - just waiting on the uniform list now.
It’s all starting to go very quickly. She leaves her dance school this week, leaves her job next week and the A level nerves are setting in!
That’s fantastic news \:D/ !!! I bet she’s over the moon as she’s busy planning for September. It’s a lot isn’t it?! They have so much on their shoulders at this stage. My DD hasn’t started fretting yet about A’levels but I know once we get to the start of next week, it will sink in.
Yes it really is a lot all happening at once.
I’m sure there are lots of mixed feelings for many of our children on here. They are going off to do what they’ve wanted to do for years - but at the same time leaving behind dance schools that have been such an important part of their lives! x
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

jasmine2 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:18 pm https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/essex/corringham There seem to be a few on here with more added daily if that helps..
yes I would recommend spare room, or flat shares in Trafford House Basildon are fairly popular for first years until they find their 'gang' and get first dibs on house shares in year 2....and keep checking right move or fresh estate agents. Ask on the group chats etc....good luck
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Hope everyone is doing well and not too nervous about 10th August...even though we know it 'should' be fine we just need to see it change to unconditional and know it's for definite!.

Good Luck everyone.
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Hi everybody, looking for some consensus here I think. DS is off to Bird in September and we've been trying to work out how much to give him over and above his accommodation and bills. We've got to £535 a month to include food, replacement uniform, any other living costs, gym membership, train fare into London/home etc. Do you think this is too much or about right? My friend whose son is at Sheffield doing a non-dance related degree gets £300 a month so I'm not sure if we're being too generous. Thoughts are welcome please. And for other Bird mums, the uniform list etc are being sent out next week apparently.
Jofitz
Nominee

Post by Jofitz »

icantdance wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm Hi everybody, looking for some consensus here I think. DS is off to Bird in September and we've been trying to work out how much to give him over and above his accommodation and bills. We've got to £535 a month to include food, replacement uniform, any other living costs, gym membership, train fare into London/home etc. Do you think this is too much or about right? My friend whose son is at Sheffield doing a non-dance related degree gets £300 a month so I'm not sure if we're being too generous. Thoughts are welcome please. And for other Bird mums, the uniform list etc are being sent out next week apparently.
We do £100 a week at performers seems ok on that so far - we worked on min student finance amount divided by weeks there and it came to roughy £100 a week. Hope that helps
Oh but I do her train fare home separately
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

icantdance wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm Hi everybody, looking for some consensus here I think. DS is off to Bird in September and we've been trying to work out how much to give him over and above his accommodation and bills. We've got to £535 a month to include food, replacement uniform, any other living costs, gym membership, train fare into London/home etc. Do you think this is too much or about right? My friend whose son is at Sheffield doing a non-dance related degree gets £300 a month so I'm not sure if we're being too generous. Thoughts are welcome please. And for other Bird mums, the uniform list etc are being sent out next week apparently.
That’s similar to what we’ve decided.
We have said £500 per month and if she needs any extra it will have to come from a summer job. This is to include everything apart from her accommodation and household bills.

Thanks for the update about the uniform. Good to hear it won’t be much longer
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Grace03 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pm
That’s similar to what we’ve decided.
We have said £500 per month and if she needs any extra it will have to come from a summer job. This is to include everything apart from her accommodation and household bills.

Thanks for the update about the uniform. Good to hear it won’t be much longer
Crikey, dd gets by fine on £250 a month (during pre-voc and 1st year), she pays for everything out of this, including petrol. Not that we can afford much more but now wonder if I’m being stingey lol. She did say it was plenty though and works at home during easter/summer/xmas hols to earn treat money. She easily only spends £30 a week on food and probably £10 a week on petrol. We do contribute a bit towards her rent too on top of this as her maintenance loan doesn’t quite cover it, and we pay her phone. I think they can get by on less than you think but it all has to come down to what you can afford, if you can afford more a month then go for it x
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

That’s good to hear. We are totally new to this so if it works out cheaper I will be very pleased!
We’ve said £500 per month is the maximum we can afford and it has to cover everything. Phone contract, pointe shoes, dance wear, normal clothes, food, any nights out and travel.
Her student loan doesn’t quite pay for her accommodation - it’s about £60 per month short which she has saved enough to cover the first year shortfall.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Gosh - £500 seems a lot. Then I started calculating. DD's maintenance loan will leave her with £20 a week after rent and bills. We were thinking of paying for her phone and giving her £200 a month. So basically she'd have about £280/£300 a month. She can walk to her London college from her flat so am hoping travel costs will be minimal and with long college days thinking she might be too tired to go out at night! Really hoping we haven't underestimated how much living in London will cost!
Does anyone know when they receive their student maintenance loan payment? We have paid the deposit on her flat plus the first month's rent (August). Wondering if we'll need to budget for September too. This isn't cheap is it? :shock:
Jofitz
Nominee

Post by Jofitz »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 pm Gosh - £500 seems a lot. Then I started calculating. DD's maintenance loan will leave her with £20 a week after rent and bills. We were thinking of paying for her phone and giving her £200 a month. So basically she'd have about £280/£300 a month. She can walk to her London college from her flat so am hoping travel costs will be minimal and with long college days thinking she might be too tired to go out at night! Really hoping we haven't underestimated how much living in London will cost!
Does anyone know when they receive their student maintenance loan payment? We have paid the deposit on her flat plus the first month's rent (August). Wondering if we'll need to budget for September too. This isn't cheap is it? :shock:
Student finance comes in mid/late September we had to cover September rent last year and January too
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:47 pm Gosh - £500 seems a lot. Then I started calculating. DD's maintenance loan will leave her with £20 a week after rent and bills. We were thinking of paying for her phone and giving her £200 a month. So basically she'd have about £280/£300 a month. She can walk to her London college from her flat so am hoping travel costs will be minimal and with long college days thinking she might be too tired to go out at night! Really hoping we haven't underestimated how much living in London will cost!
When dd was doing pre-voc we sent her £200pm and then we paid for her train tickets to/from home as she didn’t take her car and could walk to college. In 1st year she moved to Wilkes and took her car so we upped it to £250 to help with petrol. Like I said, she manages fine so if you’re unsure I would go low and then increase if they’re struggling.
As mentioned above, maintenance loan is paid around the 10th of September, January and April which is a pain for rent payments due on 1st of the month. At Wilkes you pay from 1st August so we had to find 2 rent payments and then cover January’s too, why they can’t just pay them the lump sum I don’t know, although presume it’s so some students don’t spend it all!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thank you for the student loan info. That has helped knowing we will need to find September rent too before the loan comes through.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

I think it is difficult to compare as they won’t necessarily be getting the same maintenance amounts (if they have student finance) depending upon the parents income.
Martin Lewis has information about this and how much parents should provide. Basically he writes that the child shouldn’t be penalised for the amount they lose in maintenance due to the parents income etc.
Not a very fair system because the least wealthy students end up with the biggest loans!