Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

amo185
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by amo185 »

Thank you for the replies regarding financial information dates. That makes sense.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm
Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:08 am Hi everyone and well done to all in a difficult year. I’m new here 👋 and after any opinions for my dd. She’d been offered a place at PPA on the ba hons course and was delighted as her friend is there in and she loved the look of it and the course etc. She’s just been offered a place at Italia Conti this week too on the BA hons course and is now trying to work out what to do as she loves there too. She’s normally very decisive but we’ve had a sudden close bereavement the day before she got the news so is really upset over that and struggling so is after some unbiased thoughts if anyone has any on either place. Xxx
Hi, is this for MT or Acting?

My daughter has a place on the BA Acting course there and we are at an open day there tomorrow. Mine was upped from foundation offer there to degree a few weeks ago. We had a similar dilemma because she was then offered Central - but not the course she'd wanted to do! Husband had her make a decision by writing each school down with pros and cons and giving it a weighting score. PPA won because it was purely the Central name that was attracting her.

PPA isn't one discussed on here much, I only found some very old thread from years ago around the time they were starting up. I'm guessing you're aware student finance doesn't totally cover the tuition fee. There's a £1,250 p.a top up paid directly to the school. I'm unsure if this is paid annually or all 3 years worth upfront. Just in case you need to take this into consideration when making your decision. I can't promise but I'm hopeful to also drive past Italia Conti's premises and take a pic just to send back to one of DD's friends, who is also contemplating offers and like many this year auditioning has not seen anywhere 'in the flesh'. My understanding of IC is that they will be moving all courses to Woking from September

I can have a general look round for you tomorrow, or if you want to PM me with any specific queries you have I'll see if I can find out. We are setting off later tonight though (we live a 3.5 hr drive away!) so I don't know how good a connection I will have to get on here later, but I will try my best.
IC MT degree in Guildford Sept 2021 then Woking 2022 as far as we have been told. May be different for the acting course.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Amf wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:32 pm
Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:08 am Hi everyone and well done to all in a difficult year. I’m new here 👋 and after any opinions for my dd. She’d been offered a place at PPA on the ba hons course and was delighted as her friend is there in and she loved the look of it and the course etc. She’s just been offered a place at Italia Conti this week too on the BA hons course and is now trying to work out what to do as she loves there too. She’s normally very decisive but we’ve had a sudden close bereavement the day before she got the news so is really upset over that and struggling so is after some unbiased thoughts if anyone has any on either place. Xxx

My daughter has a place on the BA Acting course there and we are at an open day there tomorrow. Mine was upped from foundation offer there to degree a few weeks ago. We had a similar dilemma because she was then offered Central - but not the course she'd wanted to do! Husband had her make a decision by writing each school down with pros and cons and giving it a weighting score. PPA won because it was purely the Central name that was attracting her.

PPA isn't one discussed on here much, I only found some very old thread from years ago around the time they were starting up. I'm guessing you're aware student finance doesn't totally cover the tuition fee. There's a £1,250 p.a top up paid directly to the school. I'm unsure if this is paid annually or all 3 years worth upfront. Just in case you need to take this into consideration when making your decision. I can't promise but I'm hopeful to also drive past Italia Conti's premises and take a pic just to send back to one of DD's friends, who is also contemplating offers and like many this year auditioning has not seen anywhere 'in the flesh'. My understanding of IC is that they will be moving all courses to Woking from September

I can have a general look round for you tomorrow, or if you want to PM me with any specific queries you have I'll see if I can find out. We are setting off later tonight though (we live a 3.5 hr drive away!) so I don't know how good a connection I will have to get on here later, but I will try my best.
IC MT degree in Guildford Sept 2021 then Woking 2022 as far as we have been told. May be different for the acting course.
Sorry I meant to type September 2022. Only just seen I missed the year off! I've now edited the post as it was reading incorrectly. I've heard IC MT degree is in Guildford for next academic year but can't find info on their MT foundation where it will be.
Last edited by lawn on Sat May 22, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrsmoby
Nominee

Post by Mrsmoby »

Hi it’s for MT. We’ve just arrived for the look around PPA tomorrow as well ☺️. Drove past Conti but not convinced it’s where the course can be run from as it was just a shop
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi it’s for MT. We’ve just arrived for the look around PPA tomorrow as well ☺️. Drove past Conti but not convinced it’s where the course can be run from as it was just a shop
I believe that is correct for IC, with some studios behind. Maybe someone on here with a student currently there would be able to tell you more
Mrsmoby
Nominee

Post by Mrsmoby »

lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:19 pm
Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:11 pm
lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm Hi, is this for MT or Acting?

I believe that is correct for IC, with some studios behind. Maybe someone on here with a student currently there would be able to tell you more
Aaaah ok that makes sense we were looking thinking there was no way that they could have trained in the shop and were confused lol
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:03 pm
amo185 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:37 pm Big thank you to those who mentioned applying for student finance now. I'm sure DD didn't realise the dealine. We've submitted details but were surprised that it's the 2019/20 finance information they required. I had assumed it would be 2020/21. So we had to find different paperwork. Is this normal or is it because of Covid and vast changes in many people's incomes over the past year? Just curious!
As mentioned below, this is correct and you can notify them if you’ve had a significant drop in income since that year’s accounts. We queried this when my daughter first applied last year and it was explained it’s because you will have a full set of accounts for that year if you are self-employed. My hubby is SE and won’t get his accounts for 20-21 until the end of this year/start of next which obviously is then too late for the loan. It probably doesn’t make as much sense to employed people.

I cannot tell you how awful it was dealing with SFE last year. I was employed, made redundant and became self employed, my husband was employed then made redundant. I had to scan over 66 sheets of paper - CYI, PR2,PFF2 P45,P60, my tax return (accounts) and I was given so much incorrect information by staff who I can only imagine were sitting,working from home in their PJs, with a cup of coffee and a plate of biscuits in front of them watching telly with the subtitles on - and probably still are.
It took from March last year and they finally got their full entitlement in February this year.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

:)
lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:31 pm
lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:43 pm Hi, is this for MT or Acting?

Sorry I meant to type September 2022. Only just seen I missed the year off! I've now edited the post as it was reading incorrectly. I've heard IC MT degree is in Guildford for next academic year but can't find info on their MT foundation where it will be.
Amf
BRIT Award

Post by Amf »

Amf wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:35 pm :)
lawn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:31 pm

😁
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

lawn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:58 pm
jasmine2 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:22 pm
lawn wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am My daughter has a dilemma. She is more of an actor, applied for mostly straight acting courses. Was always aware it was a long shot as they often prefer the older applicant with more 'life experience'. She applied to Central. There you apply and they consider you for their 3 BA acting courses, didn't get a recall. Some time later they came back to her with 2 other courses they ran and would she like to be considered for either. She said yes to one of them (just to know more) had an interview and they've offered her a place (conditional on her UCAS points). The course is called performance arts and is about creating your own work.

Prior to this though she got an offer for foundation for acting from PPA (I know this isn't one discussed on here much) which we told her we could fund, thinking another year to try again and her be a bit older would be beneficial.

So here's the dilemma, accept Central because of the drama school it is and it's incredible she got in auditioning at only 17 even though it's not the course she initially wanted.

or take the PPA offer and try again a year later when hopefully maturity and extra training will help secure more offers, accepting nothing is guaranteed?

Her training at college has been heavily hit by the pandemic and staff absences. She got into NYT last year at first attempt, but that was a week online rather than the usual fortnight course. They're looking to do an additional in person week later this year to make up. So her applications have been very much her own work without much or any input from tutors.
Firstly, congratulations on 2 fabulous offers. If you accepted the foundation course, could it potentially be bumped up to a diploma or degree course, if other people don't take up their offers? Central is a fantastic offer though and could she possibly swap courses if a spot became available? It is maybe worth asking? Good luck on whatever you decide to do xxx Keep us posted x
Your prediction was correct. She's been offered degree. The email said that she'd been on the reserve list, she wasn't aware of this. We've spent so long thinking she'll be doing foundation and then applying to 'bigger' names next year, hopefully with better training than she's had this past 14 months and older, so has come as a bit of a surprise. Back to weighing up options. I'm glad my other one wanted to study computers - lol.
Aww that is brilliant xx huge congratulations xxx =D> :lol:
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

lotsolaffs wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:03 pm
amo185 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:37 pm Big thank you to those who mentioned applying for student finance now. I'm sure DD didn't realise the dealine. We've submitted details but were surprised that it's the 2019/20 finance information they required. I had assumed it would be 2020/21. So we had to find different paperwork. Is this normal or is it because of Covid and vast changes in many people's incomes over the past year? Just curious!
As mentioned below, this is correct and you can notify them if you’ve had a significant drop in income since that year’s accounts. We queried this when my daughter first applied last year and it was explained it’s because you will have a full set of accounts for that year if you are self-employed. My hubby is SE and won’t get his accounts for 20-21 until the end of this year/start of next which obviously is then too late for the loan. It probably doesn’t make as much sense to employed people.

I cannot tell you how awful it was dealing with SFE last year. I was employed, made redundant and became self employed, my husband was employed then made redundant. I had to scan over 66 sheets of paper - CYI, PR2,PFF2 P45,P60, my tax return (accounts) and I was given so much incorrect information by staff who I can only imagine were sitting,working from home in their PJs, with a cup of coffee and a plate of biscuits in front of them watching telly with the subtitles on - and probably still are.
It took from March last year and they finally got their full entitlement in February this year.
Oh lord that sounds horrendous, I can imagine how bad that must’ve been because it’s hard enough working out what to put it when you’re self employed as it is without adding all that to the mix. As my husband said, with one click of a button they could access through HMRC what your earnings were so I’m sure they make it difficult in the hope people get it wrong or just can’t be bothered and go for the lowest amount!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Thanks Littleone and icantdance \:D/ !
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Hi, just trying to work out how much we need to top up the maintenance loan for Bird. Is it in London or outside London for student finance purposes? [-o< If it's outside then the accommodation isn't close to being covered by the maintenance loan :roll:
Dance
BRIT Award

Post by Dance »

Bird is inside London
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

icantdance wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:12 pm Hi, just trying to work out how much we need to top up the maintenance loan for Bird. Is it in London or outside London for student finance purposes? [-o< If it's outside then the accommodation isn't close to being covered by the maintenance loan :roll:
From what I’ve heard, Bird is classed as within London so you should be able to get the higher amount for the maintenance loan.