Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Mammamia »

IDK wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm Thanks that reassuring - presume they also mix with the BA cohort too? Just have to work out if it's affordable now!
Is it MT diploma? If so they are based either on the Guildford or Barbican campus. The degree is in Barbican . Groups not currently allowed to mix but I imagine this will change in Sept
IDK
Nominee

Post by IDK »

Yes MT diploma - think everything is moving to Guildford in September ?
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Mammamia wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 pm
IDK wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm Thanks that reassuring - presume they also mix with the BA cohort too? Just have to work out if it's affordable now!
Is it MT diploma? If so they are based either on the Guildford or Barbican campus. The degree is in Barbican . Groups not currently allowed to mix but I imagine this will change in Sept
I know someone who has been offered IC MT degree for this Sept. Their email says they'll be in Guildford
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

on a light hearted note....I think we need a countdown clock for Laine dada outcome replies......still waiting! ........... ](*,) :lol:

Also hope you heard about your daughter @moonfaery
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

We are still waiting on the outcomes from Royal Welsh recall and RAM/RCS self tapes. The extended deadline from Associated Studios expires this week. It's a sizeable non refundable deposit that has to be paid. It's also dd's favourite place but the most expensive (2 years instead of 1 year). As a 19 year old applying for MA it's probably the right decision for her she is probably a bit too young and not quite at the standard to go straight to the 1 year MA (covid has affected standards) but the finances make a decision tricky.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 am We are still waiting on the outcomes from Royal Welsh recall and RAM/RCS self tapes. The extended deadline from Associated Studios expires this week. It's a sizeable non refundable deposit that has to be paid. It's also dd's favourite place but the most expensive (2 years instead of 1 year). As a 19 year old applying for MA it's probably the right decision for her she is probably a bit too young and not quite at the standard to go straight to the 1 year MA (covid has affected standards) but the finances make a decision tricky.
Tricky one. Let's say the others all offered this week before the AS deadline is up, which would she take?

Is the funding more feasible at the others? If so can you think of any deposit you have to pay as not so much as you lose it if she doesn't go but you save on costs if she goes somewhere cheaper. That's the viewpoint we had to take, daughter's foundation wanted a £500 non returnable deposit, days before the deadline to pay she got a degree offer elsewhere at a prestigious school but not the course she wanted. Whilst she made up her mind, we paid the deposit anyway, because losing £500 would still be cheaper compared to funding a foundation year. (she decided on foundation in the end anyway)

Another thing you may want to throw into the mix is the possibility of further restrictions/lockdowns if she studies in a different part of the UK to where you live and comes under different rules. For this reason I was hugely relieved when RCS said No (they took ages to come back too, self tape submitted in Jan, finally got a reply in April), daughter decided not to go ahead with her IAB audition and I vetoed her auditioning for the Royal Welsh, purely because I don't want her to be in a position where she can't travel home to England and we can't cross borders or fly to get to her.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

She can take out a postgraduate Masters loan for up to £11,222 no matter where she goes. That has to cover fees and living costs

Fees at the other institutions for their MA courses range from approx £14k-£16k. Because dd will be graduating with a Trinity Level 6 diploma there were limited places that would accept that qualification.

Associated Studios MA fees are at the lower end £14,500 however their audition feedback was that they loved dd and her voice but she wasn't quite ready to enter the MA so offered her their 1 year diploma course which costs £11k and will lead into their MA course. We feel that this feedback is pretty accurate given her age and the past year's training disruption. The deposit is 25% of the first years fees.

If all the others offered I think she'd take RCS based on finances alone. RAM would be very hard to turn down as its so prestigious but she's end up having to pay for extra dance classes outside the college to keep up her standard. It's highly unlikely she would be offered a place there. Associated Studios grew out of a professional development course. It was originally part time designed for working professionals who wanted a year of extra training or were in between contracts. Their full time courses deliberately run Monday - Thursday in order to maximise the students chances of getting a part time usually hospitality or retail job over the weekends.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Good point about Royal Welsh (her least favourite choice I think) and RCS. One of dd's friends lives just across the border in Wales and had difficulties travelling to college in Chester. Dd has a part time job which even during lockdown required her to cross the border regularly she carried a letter with her. She can keep that job regardless of where she lives though some areas are easier than other eg she wouldn't be able to keep a car in London in order to travel to different areas.
Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award

Post by Lakeviewp »

For those waiting for Laine DADA results, I appreciate that this year is very different to previous years, but the year my DS joined (in line with previous years) the first results didn’t come out until the end of May from what I remember. He then had a letter that said he was #3 on their reserve list for boys. He was finally offered the DADA (made it to the top of the list) in mid July. It was worth the wait! I hope this reassures those who are still waiting to hear. X
canadianJo
BRIT Award

Post by canadianJo »

Lakeviewp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:33 pm For those waiting for Laine DADA results, I appreciate that this year is very different to previous years, but the year my DS joined (in line with previous years) the first results didn’t come out until the end of May from what I remember. He then had a letter that said he was #3 on their reserve list for boys. He was finally offered the DADA (made it to the top of the list) in mid July. It was worth the wait! I hope this reassures those who are still waiting to hear. X
wow, so does that mean things will still be shifting throughout July?
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Given that we've heard of a couple of people getting phone calls from Sarah Carroll at Laine this week, some DADA offers must be going out now. We gather that ArtsEd funding decisions are being finalised this week too. Anxious times! 8-[
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm Given that we've heard of a couple of people getting phone calls from Sarah Carroll at Laine this week, some DADA offers must be going out now. We gather that ArtsEd funding decisions are being finalised this week too. Anxious times! 8-[
yes and some we know had theirs offered with their initial offer letter too.....nice position to be in if it's what you want.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

canadianJo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:09 pm
Lakeviewp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:33 pm For those waiting for Laine DADA results, I appreciate that this year is very different to previous years, but the year my DS joined (in line with previous years) the first results didn’t come out until the end of May from what I remember. He then had a letter that said he was #3 on their reserve list for boys. He was finally offered the DADA (made it to the top of the list) in mid July. It was worth the wait! I hope this reassures those who are still waiting to hear. X
wow, so does that mean things will still be shifting throughout July?
yes it will start moving all over as people accept and decline plus the infamous Bird reserve list that doesn't let anyone know earlier than the end of June! So anyone waiting for that will then possibly decline their other offers and so it all moves again. Regular uni courses are so much easier :lol:
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

dancelifemum wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 am on a light hearted note....I think we need a countdown clock for Laine dada outcome replies......still waiting! ........... ](*,) :lol:

Also hope you heard about your daughter @moonfaery
I rang again on Friday and then dd finally got an email to say the second tape she submitted had sound but not able to view!
Dd re-submitted again on a you tube link. She hopes this will work as it has done with other colleges.
Sarah carrol did say it wasn’t too late and they will look at it. Dd asked if she can confirm it can be viewed.
So we will wait and see if we hear back!
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

IDK wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 pm Yes MT diploma - think everything is moving to Guildford in September ?
There’s normally an MT Diploma course run in both Barbican and Guildford . Not sure about this year .
The entire 3 campuses were due to move to a purpose built campus in Woking in Sept 2021 but that’s been deferred for another year .