Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Grace03
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Grace03 »

Moonfaery wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:39 pm Update on Laine audition saga....
My dd asked me to make a phone call in the end as she had sent 3 further emails and had no reply.
I rang on Wednesday and was advised that someone would get back to me.
Rang again today and was advised the same.
No one has called.
I explained that we would just like confirmation that they were able to view her tapes as there had been an issue with the first submission. I also explained that she had the interview on Feb 22nd.
I just think it’s a really poor show.
I think I would be at the stage of withdrawing now unless we really needed the place. They are not showing themselves in a good light at all.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

My dd asked me to make a phone call in the end as she had sent 3 further emails and had no reply.
No one has called.
I explained that we would just like confirmation that they were able to view her tapes as there had been an issue with the first submission. I also explained that she had the interview on Feb 22nd.
Oh wow, how frustrating for you all. Especially when you know that offers are going out. Is this your DD's first choice? Fingers crossed they get back to you next week. We are in a similar position with Arts Ed, we haven't heard from her submission in February.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

MTDreams wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am
No one has called.
Oh wow, how frustrating for you all. Especially when you know that offers are going out. Is this your DD's first choice? Fingers crossed they get back to you next week. We are in a similar position with Arts Ed, we haven't heard from her submission in February.
It’s her first choice but probably unlikely in reality due to funding. She has been put off from Laine now due to this dreadful communication.
She has now accepted degree at Urdang and very pleased to be going there.
So really at this stage, she just wants to know if she gets an offer or not.
I just think that she put her all into the audition tape and it deserves acknowledgement.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Moonfaery wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am
No one has called.
It’s her first choice but probably unlikely in reality due to funding. She has been put off from Laine now due to this dreadful communication.
I just think that she put her all into the audition tape and it deserves acknowledgement.
She most definitely deserves acknowledgement to her application along with a final result. I hope she’ll have an answer soon 🤞🏼. It’s good to hear she’s accepted her degree offer at Urdang, I bet she’ll have an amazing 3 years there.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Moonfaery wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am
No one has called.
Thats fantastic she is going to Urdang! She will love it there :) But yes, I agree she should be told whether she has an offer or not as the amount of work that goes into getting the tapes ready is huge. I'm sure they will get back to you but why its taking so long I don't understand either!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

No one has called.
I feel for you as we had similar issue...nobody would respond...funnily enough our friend's DD had her offer by email recently so I do wonder if they have realised that the postal method isn't always reliable. I was getting frustrated as it felt as if I couldn't get an answer either way.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

No one has called.
I know that these colleges are inundated with applications / phone calls etc but I find this so disrespectful.
My dc received several offers last year and she chose the college that she not only got the best vibe off but also treated her fairly and respectfully in all her communications with them .
I fear that auditions are just a money making exercise for many colleges and one would wonder if they even view half the videos that are sent in to them.
Personally , I wouldn’t consider sending my dd to a college that ignored emails and phone calls because that’s likely to be the same treatment she will get as a student
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Dancecrazy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm
No one has called.
I know that these colleges are inundated with applications / phone calls etc but I find this so disrespectful.
My dc received several offers last year and she chose the college that she not only got the best vibe off but also treated her fairly and respectfully in all her communications with them .
I fear that auditions are just a money making exercise for many colleges and one would wonder if they even view half the videos that are sent in to them.
Personally , I wouldn’t consider sending my dd to a college that ignored emails and phone calls because that’s likely to be the same treatment she will get as a student
Our thoughts exactly!
She has a mindset now that Urdang wanted her straight off so going with that.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I think there’s a lot to be said for this. My dd was offered reserve list at Performers then offered a place 10 days later, at Wilkes they offered her a place on degree straight away. Her theory was that Wilkes really wanted her, that’s where she chose and hasn’t looked back.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

A very chatty lady at one of the London drama schools (I won't say which) told my daughter that at a place she teaches each year (didn't say which) she said they typically get approx 3,000 applicants this year they've had in excess of 7,000. This was for straight acting but I've no reason to believe that MT would be different.

Certainly in the early days some of daughter's self tapes came back so swiftly with a rejection, I started thinking they must have switched it on decided they didn't like her hair colour/accent or whatever and straight away tossed it into the No pile. Daughter is sorted now, with a couple of offers and a couple of reserves but I think if auditions had been in person she'd have got other outcomes. Each time she did an online audition where she got to speak to someone she got far further than just sending in a self tape.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

lawn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 pm A very chatty lady at one of the London drama schools (I won't say which) told my daughter that at a place she teaches each year (didn't say which) she said they typically get approx 3,000 applicants this year they've had in excess of 7,000. This was for straight acting but I've no reason to believe that MT would be different.

Certainly in the early days some of daughter's self tapes came back so swiftly with a rejection, I started thinking they must have switched it on decided they didn't like her hair colour/accent or whatever and straight away tossed it into the No pile. Daughter is sorted now, with a couple of offers and a couple of reserves but I think if auditions had been in person she'd have got other outcomes. Each time she did an online audition where she got to speak to someone she got far further than just sending in a self tape.
Yes I can well believe this . All the colleges are inundated with applications this year as applicants are doing a lot more auditions due to not having to factor in transport and hotel costs etc .
It’s such a money maker for the colleges.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

lawn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 pm A very chatty lady at one of the London drama schools (I won't say which) told my daughter that at a place she teaches each year (didn't say which) she said they typically get approx 3,000 applicants this year they've had in excess of 7,000. This was for straight acting but I've no reason to believe that MT would be different.

I can see that happening Lawn and agree that the ‘no’s’ would have likely been sent out more quickly than previous years due to the volume of tapes received.
I don’t think that’s right though and is just money grabbing by the colleges. I guess there are some tapes they receive that are just put together half heartedly but I think the majority have had a lot of time and effort spent on them. Certainly on this forum I imagine all DC’s to have put there all into their tapes.
My dd had the interview at Laine so got to speak to them.
I really think she deserves better than she is experiencing.
Stayingcalm
BRIT Award

Post by Stayingcalm »

Moonfaery, I think your DD is going to be very happy at Urdang. If you go to their website you can stream their final year shows. I saw Fame and the Drowsy Chaperone and will be watching Bring it on this weekend. The standard is West End ready and the streaming works really well but is most effective on a large screen. My DD is going there in September on the AVT. They will no doubt cross paths in the cafe :D
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Stayingcalm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 am Moonfaery, I think your DD is going to be very happy at Urdang. If you go to their website you can stream their final year shows. I saw Fame and the Drowsy Chaperone and will be watching Bring it on this weekend. The standard is West End ready and the streaming works really well but is most effective on a large screen. My DD is going there in September on the AVT. They will no doubt cross paths in the cafe :D
Thanks Stayingcalm. My dd came back for the weekend and we watched the Drowsy Chaperone on Saturday night. We were absolutely blown away! Like you say - the cast were clearly west end ready. We said it could have easily passed as a professional show.
Although she was already certain in her head and committed to going to Urdang, watching the show really helped seal her decision even more. I suppose there were a few niggling doubts due to never having visited in person.
All the best to your dd on the AVT course!
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Just to say thanks for all the support and messages.
I have found this forum invaluable over the years and especially at the moment with getting ready for September.
I feel armed and ready for take 2 with my younger dd who will be auditioning to start in September 2022!