Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemumalways
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Dancemumalways »

Performers have sent out an email today enabling students to book a tour , we have also heard that Wilkes are going to be doing the same, I know some people wanted to visit before accepting places 😀
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Dancemumalways wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 pm Performers have sent out an email today enabling students to book a tour , we have also heard that Wilkes are going to be doing the same, I know some people wanted to visit before accepting places 😀
Yes, we got that email today. My daughter has replied asking for one of the Mondays. It will be good to have a tour. We had initially booked a tour for the end of March which was cancelled. As we’d also booked to see Masters on the same day, we at least got to have a look at Performers from the outside. We’re both excited to see inside this time 😁
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Ah thank you for explaining about the Foundation course funding at ArtsEd. That makes sense. Maybe other colleges will try to follow suit to secure the loans for their students. Four of DD's friends are now accepting their foundation offers (MT and Acting) now they know it is mostly covered by a loan. Looks like she's got her flatmates sorted too - if finances work for us. Still holding onto Urdang offer in case it doesn't.
That's really good to hear that colleges are offering visits. Could make all the difference in accepting a place or not.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

amo185 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 pm Just wondering if anyone else has had a degree offer from ArtsEd and has heard anything about funding - bursaries, scholarship or DADAs? DD still waiting on that as well as Laine info. Also - just out of interest - does anyone know why the ArtsEd Foundation course is funded by student finance (with £4k shortfall) but other foundation courses aren't? Seems a great option. Are other colleges waiting on accreditation perhaps? Just curious! :?
Can't help with any news about Arts ed offering financial help but just wanted to check you're aware that Dadas are for diploma and can't be used for degree. Is it degree or diploma your daughter has been offered at Arts Ed?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Arts Ed are slightly different in that they run the degree and the diploma together. The students who receive DaDa funding are registered for the Trinity Diploma, but they can voluntarily top up to the full degree for an extra £548.

It's important to remember though that if you get DaDa funding that will cover all the fees (minus parental contribution) but you can't get a Student Loan for living costs as well. So depending on individual circumstances a DaDa might make you worse off than paying the degree top up fees.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:21 pm
Dancemumalways wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 pm Performers have sent out an email today enabling students to book a tour , we have also heard that Wilkes are going to be doing the same, I know some people wanted to visit before accepting places 😀
Yes, we got that email today. My daughter has replied asking for one of the Mondays. It will be good to have a tour. We had initially booked a tour for the end of March which was cancelled. As we’d also booked to see Masters on the same day, we at least got to have a look at Performers from the outside. We’re both excited to see inside this time 😁
oh yes we got that too and filled in the form but haven't heard back with any dates!Although she does attend Elite programme so has an idea.

Also heard Performers don't require the 10,000 dissertation as do Urdang (our friends daughter is currently ploughing through that when she would prefer to be dancing)....so could be a factor for anyone not so academically inclined.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 pm
oh yes we got that too and filled in the form but haven't heard back with any dates!Although she does attend Elite programme so has an idea.

Also heard Performers don't require the 10,000 dissertation as do Urdang (our friends daughter is currently ploughing through that when she would prefer to be dancing)....so could be a factor for anyone not so academically inclined.
You’ll probably hear something soon about the available dates. I’m going to let my daughter know about that. I expected all degree courses to need a dissertation. She’ll be happy to hear one isn’t needed at Performers. I wonder what they ask for instead, do you know?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm
dancelifemum wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:15 pm

You’ll probably hear something soon about the available dates. I’m going to let my daughter know about that. I expected all degree courses to need a dissertation. She’ll be happy to hear one isn’t needed at Performers. I wonder what they ask for instead, do you know?
I will check with my friend to make sure...but I know they have a journal to complete after each lesson in detail.....plus regular assessments.

Also at Bird I know you get the option to do 10k, 7k?, or I think 4k written dissertation (numbers approximate as I can't recall exactly) ...the balance is made up practically by filming to accompany the written work so you can weight it depending on your preference.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

lawn wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:24 pm
amo185 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 pm Just wondering if anyone else has had a degree offer from ArtsEd and has heard anything about funding - bursaries, scholarship or DADAs? DD still waiting on that as well as Laine info. Also - just out of interest - does anyone know why the ArtsEd Foundation course is funded by student finance (with £4k shortfall) but other foundation courses aren't? Seems a great option. Are other colleges waiting on accreditation perhaps? Just curious! :?
Can't help with any news about Arts ed offering financial help but just wanted to check you're aware that Dadas are for diploma and can't be used for degree. Is it degree or diploma your daughter has been offered at Arts Ed?
Thank you lawn. We are aware of the funding criteria and know that ArtsEd is rather different in that respect - hence wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. But DD now thinks we have to wait for all places to be allocated. A DADA would be much better for our DD as fees would be paid - but we would have to fund the accommodation in full unless offered assistance. Without a DADA she'll get the student loan and maintenance loan but we'd have to fund the top up unless she gets a bursary. So much hanging on financial decisions - but doubt she'd ever earn enough to pay the loan back so that could infact be the better option!
I do offer my sincere best wishes to everyone whose DC have had offers but are also waiting on funding decisions. Crossing fingers for them all!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I don’t know about Performers specifically but I know that several conservatories allow students the option of a Portfolio eg composition or Individual performance project instead of a dissertation.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Thanks Dancelifemum and Islandofsodor, I’ll pass this on to my daughter. I like the idea that some schools have the flexibility of a final dance / choreographic project along with some written work.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 am Thanks Dancelifemum and Islandofsodor, I’ll pass this on to my daughter. I like the idea that some schools have the flexibility of a final dance / choreographic project along with some written work.
yes I am not sure about Urdang just that our friends DD is currently writing 10k worded dissertation...she would much prefer to be dancing! So sometimes feels the diploma get the most dance lessons as she has more written work to do (but is a bright girl).
Bird has the Flexi option of 3 different percentages of written and filmed submission.
Performers I am unsure what is required at the end of 3 years but awaiting to hear. They do have to complete a theory 'journal' after every lesson and keep this up to date.

We have booked our tour too.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

We have just received the Laine letter...still working on dada funding!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

amo185 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:36 pm
lawn wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:24 pm
Thank you lawn. We are aware of the funding criteria and know that ArtsEd is rather different in that respect - hence wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. But DD now thinks we have to wait for all places to be allocated. A DADA would be much better for our DD as fees would be paid - but we would have to fund the accommodation in full unless offered assistance. Without a DADA she'll get the student loan and maintenance loan but we'd have to fund the top up unless she gets a bursary. So much hanging on financial decisions - but doubt she'd ever earn enough to pay the loan back so that could infact be the better option!
I do offer my sincere best wishes to everyone whose DC have had offers but are also waiting on funding decisions. Crossing fingers for them all!
. Apologies, I knew about the discrepancy with price of Arts Ed degree and how much you can borrow via student loan but not that you could top up diploma to degree there for a fee. What a minefield the world of drama schools and funding is. Ahh that makes sense they're waiting till all offers are given. Very frustrating though when people want to know about booking accommodation and don't know if they can take an offer up.
Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery »

Update on Laine audition saga....
My dd asked me to make a phone call in the end as she had sent 3 further emails and had no reply.
I rang on Wednesday and was advised that someone would get back to me.
Rang again today and was advised the same.
No one has called.
I explained that we would just like confirmation that they were able to view her tapes as there had been an issue with the first submission. I also explained that she had the interview on Feb 22nd.
I just think it’s a really poor show.