Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:00 pm Thank you for the good wishes everyone. Arts Ed deposit now paid (fully refundable if she has to withdraw) and DADA declaration completed. Now a different kind of waiting...can we afford it?! DD is withdrawing her final application (Performers) but needs to keep hold of at least one other offer until we know about finances. I now understand why people keep hold of offers whilst others are waiting. It doesn't seem fair but the jigsaw isn't completed until the summer.
Happy Mother's Day everyone. We certainly all need a rest today! :)
Happy Mothers Day! cheers to that!

Is Arts Ed one that needs a top up fee to the degree like LSC? We prob won't send our LSC one because of that....as it requires extra funds over the 9250 finance. Yes I totally get needed one back up option in case it doesn't work out, but great to have the opportunity - well done
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancelifemum wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:51 pm
amo185 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:00 pm Thank you for the good wishes everyone. Arts Ed deposit now paid (fully refundable if she has to withdraw) and DADA declaration completed. Now a different kind of waiting...can we afford it?! DD is withdrawing her final application (Performers) but needs to keep hold of at least one other offer until we know about finances. I now understand why people keep hold of offers whilst others are waiting. It doesn't seem fair but the jigsaw isn't completed until the summer.
Happy Mother's Day everyone. We certainly all need a rest today! :)
Happy Mothers Day! cheers to that!

Is Arts Ed one that needs a top up fee to the degree like LSC? We prob won't send our LSC one because of that....as it requires extra funds over the 9250 finance. Yes I totally get needed one back up option in case it doesn't work out, but great to have the opportunity - well done
Be careful, as some degrees don’t even get the 9250! It may have changed but when my dd was auditioning a couple of years ago Arts Ed would only let you have £6k+ on the student loan. There’s a list on gov.uk somewhere saying which colleges allow how much student loan (think it depends if the degree goes through a university but could be wrong) so don’t get caught out thinking if it’s a degree then you’ll get the full £9250 x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Yes - you must do your financial research thoroughly. Arts Ed only attracts £6k loan plus maintenance. However it is also eligible for DADA funding and has numerous other scholarships and bursaries. That's why DD is holding onto other offers which attract full student loan in case she isn't one of the highest scorers. But she's chuffed to get in. She also loves Laine but there's no student loan for that at all as it's not a degree. :(
Grace03
BRIT Award

Post by Grace03 »

icantdance wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:57 pm We were fortunate that DS auditioned 2 years ago when he was 16 so we've been to Bird and Performers. I loved Performers for the facilities as it's purpose built and also Tracy, the Principal was great. They put on performances for their open days which were of a really high quality and we talked to the students who were really happy there.

DS had selected Bird of the two and I went to look round Bird on my own as his Dad took him for the auditions. Really friendly, again good facilities and they've had an extension built since I went. It's a stone's throw from the town centre as well so fab for the students. I liked Bird too.

I would suggest you drive to both and look at where they are and get a feel for the location, even if you can't actually go inside as that will help.

Can't speak for Performers but there are some Bird chat groups, Snapchat is a bit one apparently called Degree Birdies so your DC might like to try that. DS has decided on Bird and I think the chats might well have played a large part in that decision as he already has friends in the new intake, and they have "social evenings" with quizzes and stuff over Zoom.
Thank you - nice to hear positive feedback about them both. Although Bird does sounds better in terms of location.
StartingLate
BRIT Award

Post by StartingLate »

Waiting list for Tring!! They advise they should know by April. That is top of DDs list. 3 other offers and waiting to hear from 2 more. 🤞
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:59 pm Yes - you must do your financial research thoroughly. Arts Ed only attracts £6k loan plus maintenance. However it is also eligible for DADA funding and has numerous other scholarships and bursaries. That's why DD is holding onto other offers which attract full student loan in case she isn't one of the highest scorers. But she's chuffed to get in. She also loves Laine but there's no student loan for that at all as it's not a degree. :(
Yes Thank you. My daughter loved the Laine summer school but even if she gets in...17k a year plus living is :lol: .....
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

coxyloulou wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:48 pm Hi can anyone tell me if Wilkes let dc know if they haven’t got in? My daughter auditioned on January 20th 2021 and hasn’t heard anything. Knowing others that have audition later have heard back already?
Hi I know it seems to vary ...we luckily had an offer within a week, others have not heard back after 3, so I think their admin is hit and miss.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Hi
Everyone awaiting on Laine decision, is anyone thinking it may be worth contacting them to ask how long?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

dancelifemum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:57 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:20 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm Hi everyone

DD has been offered a waiting list place and not quite sure how this works. Would it be appropriate to enquire as to her position on the list or is that not the done thing? Also wondering if lists are dynamic and moving all the time or if they just move at the end of offers?

Many thanks :D :D
My dd was on reserve degree list at bird. I can advise if you want any help. She is now there on the diploma
Hi I hear it has changed as they used to regularly update and offer as people declined but the new system means they withdraw you from UCAS as they can't tell you before the deadline at end of May ....they update in June and contact people direct. So that's a tricky one as it is very late in the day. I remember Luis saying on open day they have a points system and mark each genre and then you are allocated a score...
Yes my dd is now 1st year and wasnt offered diploma until 4th august and never got to the top of the degree reserve list she auditioned for.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Dancelifemum - I believe Laine send letters rather than email so will take longer. It has been posted here that Betty has already offered a scholarship to one lad so I don't think it'll be long now people to hear especially as Laine are now receiving self tapes for the second group of candidates. Think we just need patience but if you do ask let us know the answer!
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 pm Dancelifemum - I believe Laine send letters rather than email so will take longer. It has been posted here that Betty has already offered a scholarship to one lad so I don't think it'll be long now people to hear especially as Laine are now receiving self tapes for the second group of candidates. Think we just need patience but if you do ask let us know the answer!
Ok yes Wilkes send letters too...(plus uni staff adjust your UCAS status). The letter was in a large black envelope with gold handwriting that we stuck on the side thinking it was a catalogue :lol:
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 pm DD was interviewed by the Head of Acting for Laine which was great for her as it was an area she wanted to ask questions about.

However - we've had fantastic and unexpected news today following DD's Zoom recall for Arts Ed on Tuesday. She's had an email offering her a place on their BA Hons Degree/Diploma along with information about DADA funding/scholarship! She just can't believe it. We thought there would be a further round Absolutely over the moon tonight.
Honestly thought Arts Ed was a pipe dream Just shows you might as well have a go as you never know! :)
Wow that is amazing! Your DD must be thrilled! Well done her!
Talking about funding, we don't qualify for Dada funding so this has meant DD can't audition for places like Laine and other Diploma courses as they would be just too expensive for us. She has submitted an audition to Arts Ed but we probably can't afford it either if they only give £6000 towards the degree...its so frustrating as it narrows the options down before they even get offers! I don't know why but I thought the audition process this year would be less stressful but I think its worse! My DD has sent off 3 auditions, had one no from Mountview and we are still waiting on 2 and its been 3 weeks already... and she has 3 more to send off. Hearing all the news of offers I am now worried that places will be full already! Does anyone know how the offer situation is with Bird and Urdang as these are her last 2 that she will be submitting to.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

MTDreams, Bird I’ve heard only make offers to approx 25% of auditionees initially during the entire audition season. The rest who they like are placed on their reserve list. My DD is on the reserve list. Your daughter will be absolutely fine putting in her audition material for a later audition date. For Urdang they are still giving offers and recalls. My DD is also on their recall list. I think your DD will be open to receiving offers from Urdang up until their last audition date so don’t feel disheartened.
dancemum09
Nominee

Post by dancemum09 »

Re waiting for Laine - DD hasn't heard either and neither has anyone else on her group chats (excluding a lucky few who have been phoned!) - I must say I'm so grateful they can all talk to each other about waiting etc - most of DD's 'auditioning' friends at school are applying for straight acting so it's nice she has people to talk to. If anyone does hear from Laine re a result or just asking how long until things are posted then I'd love to know - but I appreciate we are all waiting!
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Does anyone have any DCs at Masters Performing Arts? I’d love some feedback (good, bad, in between) for my DD who is considering them on the recommendation of her jazz teacher.