Auditioning for 2021 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Moonfaery
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2021 entry

Post by Moonfaery »

dancelifemum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:47 pm
Moonfaery wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:42 pm
amo185 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:24 pm We checked on UCAS a while back after DD's Urdang offer after the advice on here about not feeling pressured to accept an offer. You can't accept a conditional offer on UCAS until all your offers are in. Colleges have to offer by mid May (20th I think). If you've already got A level equivalent and the offer is unconditional it becomes legally binding if you accept it. DD was told no UCAS college can insist on a deposit to reserve the place but they certainly seem to ask for it and if I felt DD would lose her place I'd pay that!
DD has an offer through UCAS conservatoires - we got in a right mess trying to get into their system. Hadn't realised UCAS combine the two accounts!
We are learning something new every day!
Hi Amo185
My dd accepted her Urdang offer and we paid the £100 holding fee.
She is still waiting on other outcomes so it’s not definite she will go to Urdang but we had to pay the fee to hold the place. She hasn't accepted on UCAS site yet.
From what you’ve said it indicates we didn’t have to pay that?
We have done the same for Wilkes and paid the £200 deposit as they only gave a weeks grace and we still had others to film at the time, so we have to save the place.....Urdang was £100. Luckily Performers don't ask for a fee or confirmation, just accept via UCAS once decided before end of May.
All seems a bit money making to me.
I don’t think (especially during a pandemic) the colleges should ask people to pay a fee to secure a place. As far as I know, no other degree asks for this just performing arts degrees.
I’ve always thought the same about paying for auditions, it’s not in line with applying for other degrees.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

We're also waiting on Laine but would need funding. We're now not sure if we have to wait until the second round of auditions are completed until we hear anything and they don't start until the end of March. Someone had said dc should hear in about three weeks and it's nearly that now.
Last year Bird told people which third of the reserve list they were in but this year could of course be different. So the waiting continues!

Does anyone know anything about Trinity Laban MT course? Think it's a place we need to visit.
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

Moonfaery, I fully agree with you. The audition fees are bad enough, but I can just about accept these as an admin charge as there are thousands who apply. What I think is totally unfair are some colleges charging deposits to hold a place. They’ve made £££‘s off the audition process and then choose to take it further by squeezing parents out of more money as they know they are holding our DC dreams at random. Performers and Masters both chose to waive their audition fees this year which is commendable and Performers like another mom highlighted have not requested any deposits. Bird also does not request one.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

2good2hurry wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm Hi everyone

DD has been offered a waiting list place and not quite sure how this works. Would it be appropriate to enquire as to her position on the list or is that not the done thing? Also wondering if lists are dynamic and moving all the time or if they just move at the end of offers?

Many thanks :D :D
My dd was on reserve degree list at bird. I can advise if you want any help. She is now there on the diploma
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:00 pm Moonfaery, I fully agree with you. The audition fees are bad enough, but I can just about accept these as an admin charge as there are thousands who apply. What I think is totally unfair are some colleges charging deposits to hold a place. They’ve made £££‘s off the audition process and then choose to take it further by squeezing parents out of more money as they know they are holding our DC dreams at random. Performers and Masters both chose to waive their audition fees this year which is commendable and Performers like another mom highlighted have not requested any deposits. Bird also does not request one.
Yes especially as the auditions were on zoom or filmed by us! It does seem cheeky to say the least!
Masters have offered part funding too but it is their own diploma and they require £275 deposit very soon....so think that will be a no in place of the degree offers.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:59 pm We're also waiting on Laine but would need funding. We're now not sure if we have to wait until the second round of auditions are completed until we hear anything and they don't start until the end of March. Someone had said dc should hear in about three weeks and it's nearly that now.
Last year Bird told people which third of the reserve list they were in but this year could of course be different. So the waiting continues!

Does anyone know anything about Trinity Laban MT course? Think it's a place we need to visit.
Hi yes almost 2.5 weeks now....sadly we cannot access dada funding so the decider might be having to pay! She forgot to ask when she had her 'chat' how long it would be. I know the March audition cohort had their zoom lesson for jazz pieces yesterday. Did you have the jazz faculty interview your DD or another teacher?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:20 pm
2good2hurry wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm Hi everyone

DD has been offered a waiting list place and not quite sure how this works. Would it be appropriate to enquire as to her position on the list or is that not the done thing? Also wondering if lists are dynamic and moving all the time or if they just move at the end of offers?

Many thanks :D :D
My dd was on reserve degree list at bird. I can advise if you want any help. She is now there on the diploma
Hi I hear it has changed as they used to regularly update and offer as people declined but the new system means they withdraw you from UCAS as they can't tell you before the deadline at end of May ....they update in June and contact people direct. So that's a tricky one as it is very late in the day. I remember Luis saying on open day they have a points system and mark each genre and then you are allocated a score...
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:51 pm
amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:59 pm We're also waiting on Laine but would need funding. We're now not sure if we have to wait until the second round of auditions are completed until we hear anything and they don't start until the end of March. Someone had said dc should hear in about three weeks and it's nearly that now.

Hi yes almost 2.5 weeks now....sadly we cannot access dada funding so the decider might be having to pay! She forgot to ask when she had her 'chat' how long it would be. I know the March audition cohort had their zoom lesson for jazz pieces yesterday. Did you have the jazz faculty interview your DD or another teacher?
I really hope we don’t have to wait until they’ve watched all the March videos. My daughter was interviewed by the head of ballet. Who interviewed your daughter?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:44 pm Dancelifemum, your DD has had impressive results with 4 offers. Congratulations to her :D, you must be so proud! My DD is also waiting to hear from Laines, next Tuesday will be 3 weeks waiting. I found this page a few months ago and it has been a lifesaver for me. There are so many wonderful parents and lots of advice. Everyone’s experiences have helped me so much through this hectic audition process.
Hi Anastasia79, Ah yes I am thank you, she has done well so far, but the initial first one was a big weight off our shoulders.....yes it is always good to chat to others in the same situation. As this whole filming situation has made a stressful time even more so, as you aren't all turning up on the day and having the same experience. Worrying how much time others spend filming etc and stressing if it's good enough to send hasn't been pleasant. Some have had access to dance studios or mothers that teach so it doesn't all feel a very level playing field. So very pleased with the outcome especially as it's been a single handed effort, with some (minimal) help from me!

Ok that sounds similar I think it's 3 weeks on Monday so no panic just yet then. Thank you

Jazz faculty interviewed her....luckily as Jazz is her favourite genre....but it seems strange to chat before seeing the videos?
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

anastasia79 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:08 pm

I really hope we don’t have to wait until they’ve watched all the March videos. My daughter was interviewed by the head of ballet. Who interviewed your daughter?
NO I do hope not! I can't find any info stating how long it takes....I know in real life Betty offers some 'on the day' but does she even watch the videos? Or just those that are short listed?
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

dancelifemum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:22 pm
anastasia79 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:08 pm

NO I do hope not! I can't find any info stating how long it takes....I know in real life Betty offers some 'on the day' but does she even watch the videos? Or just those that are short listed?
Hmm, I recall one of the other moms on here mentioning that the videos would be short listed and Miss Laine would only watch the ones from the ‘possibles’ pile to make her decision. We’ll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed for all our children who are waiting.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD was interviewed by the Head of Acting for Laine which was great for her as it was an area she wanted to ask questions about.

However - we've had fantastic and unexpected news today following DD's Zoom recall for Arts Ed on Tuesday. She's had an email offering her a place on their BA Hons Degree/Diploma along with information about DADA funding/scholarship! She just can't believe it. We thought there would be a further round Absolutely over the moon tonight.
Honestly thought Arts Ed was a pipe dream Just shows you might as well have a go as you never know! :)
anastasia79
GRAMMY Award

Post by anastasia79 »

amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 pm DD was interviewed by the Head of Acting for Laine which was great for her as it was an area she wanted to ask questions about.

However - we've had fantastic and unexpected news today following DD's Zoom recall for Arts Ed on Tuesday. She's had an email offering her a place on their BA Hons Degree/Diploma along with information about DADA funding/scholarship! She just can't believe it. We thought there would be a further round Absolutely over the moon tonight.
Honestly thought Arts Ed was a pipe dream Just shows you might as well have a go as you never know! :)
Oh my, now that’s some good news to end the week on! Such a fab result! As you said and I fully agree, nothing beats simply having a go. There’s nothing to lose only potentially something great to gain.
dancelifemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancelifemum »

amo185 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 pm DD was interviewed by the Head of Acting for Laine which was great for her as it was an area she wanted to ask questions about.

Well done to her! amazing news
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Huge congratulations to your DD. That's amazing news for her and such a relief for you too!!! I agree... If you don't try you don't get, and the worst that happens is they say no, but that applies to everything in life.

For Laine DS was interviewed by Anthony somebody who is part of the Jazz department. Interesting that your DDs were interviewed by women and DS was interviewed by a man. I wonder if that's deliberate? One of DS's friends was phoned by Laine yesterday and offered a scholarship. The friend was on the same audition as DS so over 2 weeks ago. I guess it's taking them a while to get through everything.