? Uncertainty re college resumption in Sept 2020

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

? Uncertainty re college resumption in Sept 2020

Post by Mammamia »

I’ve just seen that Cambridge University has cancelled all face to face lectures for the next academic year . It will all be done online . Remains to be seen how many more will follow.
Has anyone received any information about what’s likely to happen with dance colleges?
I wonder if it will be a combination of online and small face to face classes? It’s all very uncertain especially if accommodation has to be booked etc
](*,)
Tess50
BRIT Award

Re: ? Uncertainty re college resumption in Sept 2020

Post by Tess50 »

Its difficult to know as it's still over 3 months away but quite a few are letting you defer places, Performers sent out a survey for incoming 1st years a few days ago asking re concerns over starting in the current environment including paying fees, safety etc so I think we won't know for sure until nearer the time but the huge difficulty will be accommodation - if you book rooms now and then the college doesn't start or does online classes where will you stand - we have a few moving from Ireland to the UK so we are really unsure what to do for the best - if you leave it too long all the rooms are gone but if you book and then have to pay anyway will you have any comeback ?
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

We are wondering this about DDs 6th form course. She'd be going into her second year of BTEC. As we live close she could cope with a mixture of online and face to face but the majority live in host families so we figure the online sessions "at home" could be very diffcult. Families normally expect the students to be engaged at college from 8 to 6 minimum each day.
And then if many students defer their 2020 places to 2021 how will the colleges cope next year? Surely much bigger intakes and even less funding?
I know no-one knows the answers but it sure is getting complicated!
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

My daughter is due to be starting a degree in September . She received an email from the college saying that they will make are waiting on official government advice and will advise more kids July ! They said not to look for any accommodation until we hear from them :(

So think they are all trying to make decisions for the best
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Crazytime wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:57 am My daughter is due to be starting a degree in September . She received an email from the college saying that they will make are waiting on official government advice and will advise more kids July ! They said not to look for any accommodation until we hear from them :(

Do you mind me asking which college?
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

go for it wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 am
Crazytime wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:57 am My daughter is due to be starting a degree in September . She received an email from the college saying that they will make are waiting on official government advice and will advise more kids July ! They said not to look for any accommodation until we hear from them :(

Do you mind me asking which college?

Sure it’s Creative Academy in Slough
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I have to say this is starting to give me a bit of anxiety! Dd is going 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 to Wilkes in September and whilst operating from home isn’t a problem for us (thank god for the garage renovation we did 4yrs ago, it’s never had so much use!), the comments about colleges skipping a year is panicking me and I daren't tell my daughter! Am just hoping that no matter what happens with Covid that our dc will still be able to start/continue their training in Sept as planned, however that may be!
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Does anyone have any idea about how it’s going to work with foundation courses? We are waiting to hear about a foundation at Mountview, but I know they tend to run from September to May, and it looks like the first term (at least) might be online! Has anyone heard from colleges about foundations? I wonder whether they might not run them at all..DD also has a Triple Threat degree offer from Chichester and degree offer from LCM, so she’s very lucky, but would be good to know where we stand re mountview 😬
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

daisy1 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm Does anyone have any idea about how it’s going to work with foundation courses? We are waiting to hear about a foundation at Mountview, but I know they tend to run from September to May, and it looks like the first term (at least) might be online! Has anyone heard from colleges about foundations? I wonder whether they might not run them at all..DD also has a Triple Threat degree offer from Chichester and degree offer from LCM, so she’s very lucky, but would be good to know where we stand re mountview 😬
I’d have thought if the main courses are running then they’ll still run the foundation as it’s income! My daughter is just finishing foundation at Performers and they’ve had the same amount of timetable lessons at home as the full time courses have so would’ve thought they’ll carry on that way next year.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

I heard the Cambridge interview and like the spokeman for the government said, its pretty crazy for making that kind of statement with 3+ months to go. I hope this isn't going to affect Colleges start dates, things don't add up, how come other countries are nearly back to normal and countries such as China are substantially bigger than we are!

My daughter will be devastated if she cannot start at her college in September.

Its easy to say they can continue to work from home, but we don't have the room for our daughter to do that!