Bird Reserve List

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Bird Reserve List

Post by Mammamia »

My dd’s audition here was cancelled but she decided to do a video audition a few weeks ago at the last minute and is on the reserve list for the degree .
Does anyone know how this works?
Do they put everyone who meets a set standard on the reserve list and then allocate places after the auditions are over or do they give out definite offers of places as they go along and put others on a reserve list as a back up in case the ones offered definite places decline them .
From reading about it here , I always find the whole Bird process confusing .
Ib111
Nominee

Re: Bird Reserve List

Post by Ib111 »

Dd is on the reserve list for degree and she auditioned in November. We have heard nothing from Bird since.
A few from her dance school had offers on the day of audition and some had theirs in the post a week or so later.
She has accepted another offer which she preferred anyway.
Good luck !
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Ib111 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm Dd is on the reserve list for degree and she auditioned in November. We have heard nothing from Bird since.
A few from her dance school had offers on the day of audition and some had theirs in the post a week or so later.
Good luck !
Thanks for your reply . Then there’s people who get offered the diploma . My dd doesn’t have A Levels so would have expected reserve list for diploma instead of degree .
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

Mammamia wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am My dd’s audition here was cancelled but she decided to do a video audition a few weeks ago at the last minute and is on the reserve list for the degree .
Does anyone know how this works?
Do they put everyone who meets a set standard on the reserve list and then allocate places after the auditions are over or do they give out definite offers of places as they go along and put others on a reserve list as a back up in case the ones offered definite places decline them .
From reading about it here , I always find the whole Bird process confusing .
My DD is also on the reserve list . I spoke to them last week and they said you can call mid June to see where they are on the list . Guess that gives an idea of the likelihood of them getting a place 🤷🏽‍♀️. From what I gather they tend to put majority on reserve , although I’ve no idea how they work it who is where , presuming down to the scores from audition ?
I don’t actually know of anyone personally who has got a place from the reserve but it’s her first choice so keeping all crossed !!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Mammamia wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:01 pm
Ib111 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm Dd is on the reserve list for degree and she auditioned in November. We have heard nothing from Bird since.
Good luck !
Thanks for your reply . Then there’s people who get offered the diploma . My dd doesn’t have A Levels so would have expected reserve list for diploma instead of degree .
So has she got UCAS points to enable her to do the degree? Seems strange to have been offered that if unable to take up the offer if that gets offered. We have had a fair share of chaotic admin from Bird last year so I know that they can make mistakes. Might be worth a call to clarify
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Hi All

My DD is currently ion her second year at Bird on the Degree course. She also did a foundation at Bird. In recent years they have changed how they award places. It seems that very few are now given out 'on the day' or shortly after.

From what my DD has been told (and it applied to her too) is that say they have a score of 90 / 100 as a base. Anyone who gets above that at audition is offered a place. People are rejected after their audition, so if people are placed on the Reserve list it means they want you but need to make sure that they are fair across the whole range of auditions (including their PPFE students who audition at the end of the year)

It's then a case of offering places to those on the list in order of highest score etc. That's a simplistic way of looking at it but having been through the process it does seem fairer than offering places after every audition. What if people at the last auditions are better than those in September but they don't have any spaces left - that would be unfair not to offer.

Things do move quickly on the list, they may make offers to people holding offers at other colleges and if they accept the other college spaces will free up

Stay strong and good luck
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Munchpot wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:50 pm Hi All

My DD is currently ion her second year at Bird on the Degree course. She also did a foundation at Bird. In recent years they have changed how they award places. It seems that very few are now given out 'on the day' or shortly after.

From what my DD has been told (and it applied to her too) is that say they have a score of 90 / 100 as a base. Anyone who gets above that at audition is offered a place. People are rejected after their audition, so if people are placed on the Reserve list it means they want you but need to make sure that they are fair across the whole range of auditions (including their PPFE students who audition at the end of the year)

It's then a case of offering places to those on the list in order of highest score etc. That's a simplistic way of looking at it but having been through the process it does seem fairer than offering places after every audition. What if people at the last auditions are better than those in September but they don't have any spaces left - that would be unfair not to offer.

Things do move quickly on the list, they may make offers to people holding offers at other colleges and if they accept the other college spaces will free up

Stay strong and good luck
Munchpot, many thanks for explaining that . I’ve always been very confused reading about reserve lists for Bird .
Thanks for all the other replies from everyone . My dd was advised to apply for both courses despite not having A Levels as we know of students who had conditional offers and were still admitted despite failing their A Levels . She has other qualifications that will probably amount to the correct UCAS points . Anyway she emailed them and said that she was also interested in the Diploma . The person who replied was were helpful and said that the lists often transfer from one to the other during the summer or words to that effect .
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

My daughter is also on the reserve list. Had this offer in February. I did email to ask if they could say where she was on the reserve list but they said they couldn't until mid june. Awaiting funding decisions on other courses too so it's frustrating.
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

My daughter was offered a place and is now waiting to hear from them regarding the DaDA but I think they are still working through the online auditions.

At the moment my DD has the paperwork for 2nd round for DaDA at Italia Conti and a place at Wilkes Academy with a 50% scholarship. I am a bit confused on how the course at Wilkes works, she is 16? Anyone understand it or got some advice.

Bird is her choice after Wilkes then IC.

Its all abit bewildering to be honest.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

For bird they said mid june they could tell us if they were top, middle or bottom of the reserve list only. Does anyone know whether only the top are likely to get places or does entirely depend on the year?
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm For bird they said mid june they could tell us if they were top, middle or bottom of the reserve list only. Does anyone know whether only the top are likely to get places or does entirely depend on the year?
Varies from year to year.x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm For bird they said mid june they could tell us if they were top, middle or bottom of the reserve list only. Does anyone know whether only the top are likely to get places or does entirely depend on the year?
Some years it moves quite a bit, right up to the end of August but for some reason last year this website implied that it hardly moved at all. Dd had 3 friends on the list last year and none got places, let’s hope it moves better (and faster) this year.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Really hope so as despite a couple of offers so far, dd has nothing that she is realistic about taking.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Email today saying it will be end of June at least. That's changed from mid June.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I don't think that's right about very few getting offers - my 16 year old auditioned in February and 3 got offered on the day and she got her offer about 3 weeks later for the 3 year diploma course and I know 3 more who did video auditions and all got places without being on a reserve list