Yyr 12 on MT course - what sort of things to do

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Yyr 12 on MT course - what sort of things to do

Post by lawn »

Daughter is 16 and at college on an MT course. Since she was 10 she's attended a weekly drama class plus taken private acting & speech exams. Her strength is and always has been acting, Singing she attends a weekly class outside of college plus has privates and is improving all the time. Dancing however she had barely done until this course, which she does ballet and jazz on. She is not currently doing any dance classes outside of college

I always thought when it was time, it would be the straight acting courses she'd auditon for and initially she was on an acting course at the same college, but disliked it. Long story but there has been an issue with admission numbers for it,so she asked if she could change course to MT.

So with around year to go till she needs to start applying to drama schools, what sort of things would help her?
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: Yyr 12 on MT course - what sort of things to do

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I'm a bit confused - from what you say your daughter started Year 12 doing just acting, has transferred to MT but her forte is acting? Does she now want to audition for acting or MT post 18? I think you'll get more traffic if you clarify which she wants to go for and therefore what sort of support she might need.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Hi, sorry I posted late at night, so maybe a bit rambling.

Daughter;s strength is acting. This is supported by singing and she has very little dance experience.

The 'plan' always was for her to do an acting course at college at 16 followed by applying for straight acting courses at drama schools for 18+

She started on an acting course at college but disliked it (I don't want to say too much about why, other than a mistake had been made with this years admissions).

She then switched to a musical theatre course, which she's enjoying.

In 12months or so she will be applying to drama schools, possibly for both straight acting and MT. What sort of things should she be looking at doing to strenthen her applications?
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Well for MT I would suggest ballet for basic movements as every audition we had needed this.My dd found jazz helpful too. Sorry I don't know about straight acting courses x I would also read up on each school and find out what they require. Go to the open days. My dd to strengthen her application had done some acting in a film and performed in various local shows.