Millennium Performing Arts college

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Millennium Performing Arts college

Post by kzgirl »

Does anyone know what the problem is with the funding for courses at Millennium, some pupils have left midway through their course and transferred to Chichester triple threat after auditioning, joining the second and third years.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Re: Millennium Performing Arts college

Post by Fullmoon »

Unless anybody knows any different, I think it will be due to their RI status....that was certainly the case when DD was auditioning last year :?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The RI status affected the DaDa's as you have to have Good or Outstanding to be part of the DaDa scheme. Degree funding is subject to something called Designation which they failed to satisy one of the requirements.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I have just seen on another forum that an email has been sent to those due to start in September that the degree course has been cut,
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am I have just seen on another forum that an email has been sent to those due to start in September that the degree course has been cut,
I feel so sorry for everyone affected by this decision and wish them good luck going forward
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am I have just seen on another forum that an email has been sent to those due to start in September that the degree course has been cut,
That’s so sad! I hope they all find other places!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

So very sad. Whilst late in the day they still have a bit of time, unlike the CPA students last year who were left high and dry very late in the day if I remember correctly. But the other colleges stepped up. The challenge will be that the degree fees are fully funded and they would have been getting the means tested maintenance loan. Most of the degree places will have gone I imagine. And the colleges can't easily parachute in students above those on their current waiting list. Some creativity will be required to sort this out. I hope MPA are actively helping their students find places.
everygirl
Nominee

Post by everygirl »

Current student here!
Just to clarify the school is NOT closing. There will be an intake of people in 2019 but I'm not sure what course they will be doing as MPA has always run diplomas as well.
Anyone who is currently on the degree course is able to stay and finish it and they have also offered reduced fees to those of us who didn't get degree funding (i.e English students intake 2018)
Although people have had to leave due to the funding situation this has meant that we've had smaller class sizes and more one-on-one tuition which is something that we've definitely seen the benefit of! College are doing everything they can to help us and the situation, including letting people have time off for professional auditions and jobs.
Hope this clears some things up! X
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Yes, they have always run dilpomas but a few years ago they lost their diploma funding due to failing an OFSTED inspection which I guess is partly why they introduced the degree course too. So for the last few years all diploma students have been self-financed.

I'm glad you are seeing the benefits of reduced class sizes etc but to be viable long term any college will need a certain level of student numbers and fee income.
everygirl
Nominee

Post by everygirl »

Oh my mistake I assumed more people on here would have known? The latest OFSTED inspection resulted in a ranking of 'good' (the highest a college can get immediately after having been on a lower level). This means the college are once again eligible to get DaDa funding for diplomas. Have attached the link for the report below for anyone interested. ;)

https://files.api.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/50090383

Of course I completely understand the economic side of the situation regarding a reduced intake. However, a deficiency of funds from the government and student income means that it's not too possible to work on a longer term scale. As far as I can understand being a student at the college, energy is being directed into maintenance of the current students whilst investigating different avenues for the future. :)

Such a shame as it definitely feels as if smaller, more intimate colleges are not being valued by financial bodies!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That report is very new (hence wasn't available last time I looked a couple of months ago and as OFSTED inspections are not compulsory for vocational colleges unless they are inreceipt of funding I would only surmise they are indeed goingto re-apply to be part of the scheme. It's a 3 year cycle for applying (when Tring messed their paperwork up they couldn't re-apply for 3 years) what I don't know is if the three years are set by the Dada scheme for everyone at the same time or whether itsdifferent for each individual college.

I wholeheartedly agree that small colleges are far better than large ones both in terms of teaching ratios and when it comes to graduate showcases. My own dd specifically only auditioned for colleges that had a maximum diploma intake of 30-35 students per year (but they had other courses and income streams too)
Timestep
Nominee

Post by Timestep »

I'm not normally one to post on forums but I've been following this thread with interest.

I thought it might be helpful to share mine and my DD's experience at MPA. Having made a late switch from the idea of following a contemporary dance career,  and being unable to afford her first choice of college (despite being accepted) DD chose to take up the degree place at MPA. Once funding was withdrawn we felt it was better that she continued with her training rather than waiting another year to  re- audition.

We're really glad we made this decision as she is loving every minute! Self funding has been difficult but the college were able to offer reduced fees and she has a part-time job in London as well. Obviously  this is not ideal but there have been many positives. She has really enjoyed being in smaller classes as she feels she has been given more individual attention and corrections than some of her friends at other colleges, particularly  in singing as she hadn't done as much as she had in dance training.  The college also have great physical and pastoral support systems,  including affordable osteopaths,  and an on - staff counsellor.  Combined with an open door policy so any student can speak to the directors at any time I feel reassured that help is available if needed.  The location of the college is excellent as she is able to access Central London very easily for extra classes ( Base studios a favourite ) , auditions/castings or to watch a show.  When Crossrail eventually opens this will be even better. Westfield shopping centre at Stratford is nearby so several students work there at weekends and the O2 is also easily accessible.
Several of her teachers also work at multiple colleges so she has some of the same ones as her friends at Urdang and LSC.

On the downside, aside from the funding is that MPA admin could definitely be better. On the upside is no student loan to repay  .

As a parent I would like to advise other parents and students to keep an open mind on colleges and different pathways.  Things haven't necessarily worked as we planned but this is a difficult profession and our DC's need to develop resilience . Some students who cannot afford to continue self- funding have used their first year at MPA as a foundation year of sorts and have successfully reaudtioned and are transferring to colleges like Bird, Urdang and LSC. Some have chosen to start in Year 1 , but I believe some are transferring into year 2 as have already completed the first year of their degree. Much better than taking a 'gap year' !

If anyone would like to ask any questions please feel free to PM me.