Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Marissa »

jaybeeyellow wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 am My daughter is in her second year at Manchester School of Theatre, based at Man Met.
Having completed the last part of her second year on Zoom, she is really disappointed to have been told yesterday that classes will go back on line.
The First years never really got out of the blocks, and have been quarantined in their Halls. My D's year have completed 3 weeks face to face classes in a brand new, state of the art building, which make things seem even worse.
I feel so sorry for these students, especially the third years, who, having lost a large chunk of their second year, are now facing having their final year productions for the industry cancelled. To all intents and purposes their final year has been written off.
I understand that many others on various courses are in a similar position , but it hits drama school students very hard indeed. How do you train an actor on Zoom? Acting for camera, anybody?? Stage Combat?
Several of my D's peers are actively talking about dropping out, since they do not feel that there is any point in continuing. Moral amongst her year is extremely low.
I really feel quite strongly that students should be given some sort of refund of their fees, or the unis should extend the courses in order to cover training that has been lost.

Apologies for the rant! I feel so frustrated. My D will get on with it, but this is really testing everybody.
I wish this wasn't my daughters graduating year x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Same here
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

islandofsodor wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:20 pm Same here
Huge hugs xxx
Katyben
BRIT Award

Post by Katyben »

jaybeeyellow wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 am My daughter is in her second year at Manchester School of Theatre, based at Man Met.
Having completed the last part of her second year on Zoom, she is really disappointed to have been told yesterday that classes will go back on line.
The First years never really got out of the blocks, and have been quarantined in their Halls. My D's year have completed 3 weeks face to face classes in a brand new, state of the art building, which make things seem even worse.
I feel so sorry for these students, especially the third years, who, having lost a large chunk of their second year, are now facing having their final year productions for the industry cancelled. To all intents and purposes their final year has been written off.
I understand that many others on various courses are in a similar position , but it hits drama school students very hard indeed. How do you train an actor on Zoom? Acting for camera, anybody?? Stage Combat?
Several of my D's peers are actively talking about dropping out, since they do not feel that there is any point in continuing. Moral amongst her year is extremely low.
I really feel quite strongly that students should be given some sort of refund of their fees, or the unis should extend the courses in order to cover training that has been lost.

Apologies for the rant! I feel so frustrated. My D will get on with it, but this is really testing everybody.
I completely agree! Obviously there is no right or wrong answer as we’ve never been here before but they’re getting less than half of their training. It’s so hard x
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I tis so difficult. The staff are trying their best, but with the best will in the world, the students are not getting a good deal.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Marissa wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:26 pm
Huge hugs xxx
She is considering applying for a post-grad year but we need to look into the finances.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

islandofsodor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:53 am
Marissa wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:26 pm
Huge hugs xxx
She is considering applying for a post-grad year but we need to look into the finances.
Snap x
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

amo185 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 pm I don't understand why PA colleges are doing everything so differently. How come some are almost fully online whilst others are fully face to face? Is this all down to numbers of students or size of the studios? At DD's college, staff wear visors but they don't when doing the same role at some other colleges.DD has to wear a face mask for singing and ballet - for friends at other colleges it varies. Could there not be some uniformity? DD luckily is all face to face at the moment - however the first year degree students are online as several cases of Covid now confirmed in their year group. It must be so tough having just moved away from home and sharing a flat trying to focus on MT singing and dancing classes online. We're taking each day one at a time and hoping to get to the end of each week without having to self isolate. Very uncertain times! Wishing everyone's DDs and DSs all the best as this term progresses x

It’s so sad for all of them , especially the ones graduating . Just hope it gets better for them all next term 🤞🤞
My daughter has been extremely lucky and is getting about 20-22 contact hours a week . It’s just the lectures and the extra yoga / fitness classes that are done online .
They do have to go in on a Saturday or Sunday depending on the year group but it was the only way they could do the timetable
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

And me. Stressful time hoping for more normality by the end of the academic year and showcases!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Katyben wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:30 am
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Katyben wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:46 pm My daughter at Bird now only has 7 hours a week face to face classes and then some online ones. We have no space at home for online so she’s been going to my mums but now with the increase this isn’t going to be possible so what are others doing?
My daughter got a dada but college is costing us a fortune especially since my husbands overtime stopped and I’m still on 70% pay. At the moment I’m wondering what we’re paying for.... anyone else feel like this?
My dd is also 1st year on diploma at Bird. Hello!!
Hello!

Has your daughter moved down here? We only live 5 minutes away so mines still at home. Is she enjoying it?
Yes she has as we live in Sheffield. Seems to be loving it!
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:29 pm
MTDreams wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 pm Hi all, I haven't been on here since Feb/March. I have had a read through to catch up and wanted to congratulate everyone on their offers! I knew the audition process was going to be stressful but what a weird year it has been on top of that. I take my hat off to all the boys and girls who go through this every year! My DD has accepted an offer for the GSA MT foundation year. She is very excited as its her dream school. :D
Congratulations, the BA's ( my DD ) have a really good group chat, they have been doing quizzes and all sorts. All very much looking forward to meeting each other , if she searches Facebook freshers she will probably find them
Ahh thanks, sorry not been on here a while so just seen this! My DD has been loving her time at GSA and I know the different courses do get to know each other even in this weird year! Hope your DD has been enjoying her time :D
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm
MTDreams wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:35 pm Hi all, I haven't been on here since Feb/March. I have had a read through to catch up and wanted to congratulate everyone on their offers! I knew the audition process was going to be stressful but what a weird year it has been on top of that. I take my hat off to all the boys and girls who go through this every year! My DD has accepted an offer for the GSA MT foundation year. She is very excited as its her dream school. :D
That's brilliant. Well done to your dd. And you're right what a weird year it has been!!
Thank you! sorry not been on here a while so just catching up on notifications! :D
Mrsmoby
Nominee

Post by Mrsmoby »

tracyelwell wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm They didn't say but I have come to that conclusion. Its worth auditioning still and depending on if they have told the staff where they are moving they maybe more open about it. They were very vague. They want to know if you, as a parent are supportive of your child's choice to study MT as they seems important to them, as she explained that there are a lot of parents who don't support this career.

They also ask about the future and then ask how you would feel about being offered a place at the Guildford site as the Barbican site is closing. Also a friend of ours, who is on the commitee for Italia Conti asked where my daughter had been offered a place because she knew they were selling the site in Barbican and she was interested in where the offer was. So not sure really. My daughter said she heard a couple of student talking on Thursday when we were at the Guildford site for a visit state that the new site is opening March, but this March or next was vague.

Neither Director mentioned the new build in the meeting, I don't know if they feel it would put people off, for me it is quite the opposite, I don't like the Barbican site, have you walked those stairs, wouldn't need to any dance classes after walking to the top! I know a great facility doesn't say great training, but Italia Conti is great training so it does not apply. My daughter also preferred the Guildford site.

Hi I know this is an old post but do you mind telling me what the IC Guildford site is like? My dd has been offered a place on MT BA Hons there and at PPA. She’s seeing PPA tomorrow but we’ve no idea what ic is like other than the shop front
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

:-({|=
Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:14 pm
tracyelwell wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 pm They didn't say but I have come to that conclusion. Its worth auditioning still and depending on if they have told the staff where they are moving they maybe more open about it. They were very vague. They want to know if you, as a parent are supportive of your child's choice to study MT as they seems important to them, as she explained that there are a lot of parents who don't support this career.

They also ask about the future and then ask how you would feel about being offered a place at the Guildford site as the Barbican site is closing. Also a friend of ours, who is on the commitee for Italia Conti asked where my daughter had been offered a place because she knew they were selling the site in Barbican and she was interested in where the offer was. So not sure really. My daughter said she heard a couple of student talking on Thursday when we were at the Guildford site for a visit state that the new site is opening March, but this March or next was vague.

Neither Director mentioned the new build in the meeting, I don't know if they feel it would put people off, for me it is quite the opposite, I don't like the Barbican site, have you walked those stairs, wouldn't need to any dance classes after walking to the top! I know a great facility doesn't say great training, but Italia Conti is great training so it does not apply. My daughter also preferred the Guildford site.

Hi I know this is an old post but do you mind telling me what the IC Guildford site is like? My dd has been offered a place on MT BA Hons there and at PPA. She’s seeing PPA tomorrow but we’ve no idea what ic is like other than the shop front
My dd attends IC but at the Barbican site .
She did her audition in Guildford . Don’t be put off by the shop front appearance . That’s just the reception and uniform shop . My dd said they have large studios at the back .
To be honest I’ve never heard of PPA but IC is one of the top performing arts colleges in the UK
Mrsmoby
Nominee

Post by Mrsmoby »

Dancecrazy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:54 pm :-({|=
Mrsmoby wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:14 pm

My dd attends IC but at the Barbican site .
She did her audition in Guildford . Don’t be put off by the shop front appearance . That’s just the reception and uniform shop . My dd said they have large studios at the back .
To be honest I’ve never heard of PPA but IC is one of the top performing arts colleges in the UK
Thank you so much. It’s so hard when they’ve not been able to look around and get a feel for the places etc