Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

MTDreams wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm Hi, can anyone recommend a hotel near Arts Ed? I’ve been looking but can’t work out which hotels are near enough to walk. Thank you :D
If you put the post code for Arts Ed in the search bar of Premier Inn and Travelodge websites it will bring them up in order of distance, this is what I do for all my DD’s auditions to try and find the closest.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm
Munchpot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm

I think part of the problem is that most colleges don’t have their own accommodation so publishing costs is very difficult

Right move do have a student area to look up places near to the address of the college
I have a friend whose daughter is at Bristol Uni studying Architecture and her accommodation is also very expensive. And another at Nottingham Trent still more than I had imagined! I'm still thinking back to my uni days paying £35 a week all in!
Yes, my friend’s daughter is looking at what I call ‘normal’ Uni’s and bizarrely Nottingham is one of the most expensive. I just think that the MT colleges must have a rough idea of what all their students pay to give as a guideline, or would if they asked them. I just have this awful feeling that dd will be fortunate enough to get a place somewhere and then we won’t be able to afford the accommodation 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
When we looked at Unis for my eldest, Leeds Beckett cheapest accommodation was 50% more than his entire minimum loan. Thankfully he preferred a course in a much cheaper town. I'm grateful for this especially since there's now the possibility of him and DD having an overlapping year.

I think a thread where living accommodation costs were discussed would be a good idea. There's precious little about the way the maintainance loan is worked out via student finance. Even the Unis don't mention it much. I know it's something that the original owner of moneysavingexpert (Martin Lewis) has campaigned about and has recently put a calculator on their website.

Personally, we are unlikely to be interested in places that only offer Dadas, due to the cost involved to our household, but I've only ever seen on here that you get help with living costs if your income is below £30K, I've never come across anywhere that says how much that actual help is, so maybe that's something else that could do with clarification.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

The Dada information is all on the internet and the scales for help dependant on income. We had heard that some of the dada funded courses will offer additional scholarships if they really like the candidate so thought it was worth an audition. But yes most of my dd's applications are to degree courses. Again some of those are very limited funding with big shortfalls. We are going to reassess after auditions what we can do to help (if she is lucky enough to get a place somewhere). She is very aware of needing funding in order to go.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Anyone at bird on 6th feb and fancy a bit of moral support whilst the kids are in auditions?
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

amo185 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:28 pm We stayed at the Premier Inn in Chiswick - about 20 mins walk. Seemed very reasonable. x
Thank you, I did look at that one but couldn't work out how far it was. :D
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:34 pm
MTDreams wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 pm Hi, can anyone recommend a hotel near Arts Ed? I’ve been looking but can’t work out which hotels are near enough to walk. Thank you :D
If you put the post code for Arts Ed in the search bar of Premier Inn and Travelodge websites it will bring them up in order of distance, this is what I do for all my DD’s auditions to try and find the closest.
Ahh ok. I'll have a look. Although we had a nightmare of a stay at our last Travelodge so may give that a miss, lol.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

MTDreams wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:14 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:34 pm
Ahh ok. I'll have a look. Although we had a nightmare of a stay at our last Travelodge so may give that a miss, lol.
Hubby taking my DD for her arts ed audition and I've booked him the premier inn
Don't think its that far from the tube or the college
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:19 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:34 pm If you put the post code for Arts Ed in the search bar of Premier Inn and Travelodge websites it will bring them up in order of distance, this is what I do for all my DD’s auditions to try and find the closest.
Hi there, there is The Chiswick Court hotel on Bath Rd very near to Artsed, not sure what its like but very convenient. You could check on Trip advisor.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 am The Dada information is all on the internet and the scales for help dependant on income. We had heard that some of the dada funded courses will offer additional scholarships if they really like the candidate so thought it was worth an audition. But yes most of my dd's applications are to degree courses. Again some of those are very limited funding with big shortfalls. We are going to reassess after auditions what we can do to help (if she is lucky enough to get a place somewhere). She is very aware of needing funding in order to go.
Ahh cheers. Last time I looked (admittedly sometime ago) there was no column for maintainance that I could see.

If anyone needs it, link is below
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

go for it wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:16 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi there, there is The Chiswick Court hotel on Bath Rd very near to Artsed, not sure what its like but very convenient. You could check on Trip advisor.
Thank you everyone, I think I am going to book the Premier Inn as it has onsite parking.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm Anyone at bird on 6th feb and fancy a bit of moral support whilst the kids are in auditions?
No, we are there at the end of the month. Otherwise I would have :D Good luck!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

MTDreams wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm Anyone at bird on 6th feb and fancy a bit of moral support whilst the kids are in auditions?
It's going to be a long day!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:09 pm
MTDreams wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm
It's going to be a long day!
Our dd is there on 17th Feb, taking younger dd to Bluewater while we wait so she is one happy girl.
sandiek123
BRIT Award

Post by sandiek123 »

MTA vs Italia Conti? Thoughts please... TIA
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Dd's first audition next week at Bird. I'm so nervous for her. Tell me it gets easier!