Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by riverdancefan »

Hi there, 2020 entry is coming!!
thought I would start a new thread as the 2019 thread is in full swing and coming to an end.
It has been a stressful process for all, and I know the new set of applications are or will be underway.
Here's wishing everyone the best of luck for their chosen training..
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
DadofACP
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by DadofACP »

I will keep an eye on this post, as my son auditioning for Sept 2020 entry.

I did start a post on here 25/1/19 titled "Fully funded BA MT Sept 2020 advise sought" and had some great help so far.

My son had a boys trial day at Performers College on Saturday just gone and loved it. He is booked on the trial day at Emil Dale at the end of August and his 6th form performing arts group are visiting Urdang and Millenium next week.

He has just started his UCAS registration, albeit a little to early for applications yet.

So far the ones in the running for us are GSA, Bird, PPA, Performers, Urdang & Emil Dale (possibly Trinity Laban & Italia Conti).
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Will also be keeping an eye out! DS wants to audition for Arts Ed sixth form. He also wants to study Alevel History so choices are rather narrow!
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

DadofACP wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:10 pm My son had a boys trial day at Performers College on Saturday just gone and loved it. He is booked on the trial day at Emil Dale at the end of August and his 6th form performing arts group are visiting Urdang and Millenium next week.
Oh I would have said hello if I'd known who you were! DS thoroughly enjoyed the day and was grateful for what he came away with. Good move going to see EDA by the way, you won't be disappointed. DS has another year left on the BTEC and has enjoyed every moment.
Enjoy! 8)
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Ooh, I’m really glad this thread has been started, I’ve been watching the 2019 one for a while, and now it’s our turn :shock:
DD is just finishing first year at sixth form and we’ve started doing some research in where to go next for a musical theatre BA. She’s strongest in singing and acting, and is a capable dancer, though she sees herself as weaker in this area. For that reason she’s decided not to investigate the more dancey colleges like Bird and Laine. We’ve been to Chichester last weekend and thought it was great, GSA is next weekend. On the list as well are Arts Ed, Mountview, Emil Dale, Trinity Laban, maybe Italia Conti and Performers (though are they also really dancey?) However loads of these don’t seem to do open days which seems to be a bit of a risk, if you apply to audition having never seen them? Are there others that we haven’t thought of which would play to her strengths? Any advice greatly appreciated!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Hammond. The MT BA course is less dancy than the dance diploma but they stream the dance and you get the same teachers as the diploma students do meaning that by the end of the 3 years most students have improved in their dance a lot. The singing is very strong too. You have missed this years Open Days but the one will be the beginning of October.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:32 am Hammond. The MT BA course is less dancy than the dance diploma but they stream the dance and you get the same teachers as the diploma students do meaning that by the end of the 3 years most students have improved in their dance a lot. The singing is very strong too. You have missed this years Open Days but the one will be the beginning of October.
My Dd is here now and it was the only choice that she didn't check out before the audition day. Although my Dd strengths were singing and acting, the dancing has now taken over due to how much she loves The Hammond x
What she has found is because of the streaming you can do as much or as little dance that you want. Dd has taken on every class possible and has improved so much!
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

daisy1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am Ooh, I’m really glad this thread has been started, I’ve been watching the 2019 one for a while, and now it’s our turn :shock:
DD is just finishing first year at sixth form and we’ve started doing some research in where to go next for a musical theatre BA. She’s strongest in singing and acting, and is a capable dancer, though she sees herself as weaker in this area. For that reason she’s decided not to investigate the more dancey colleges like Bird and Laine. We’ve been to Chichester last weekend and thought it was great, GSA is next weekend. On the list as well are Arts Ed, Mountview, Emil Dale, Trinity Laban, maybe Italia Conti and Performers (though are they also really dancey?) However loads of these don’t seem to do open days which seems to be a bit of a risk, if you apply to audition having never seen them? Are there others that we haven’t thought of which would play to her strengths? Any advice greatly appreciated!
I would maybe add Central School to your list -although it's apparently quite marmite!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

biscuitsneeded wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm
daisy1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am Ooh, I’m really glad this thread has been started, I’ve been watching the 2019 one for a while, and now it’s our turn :shock:
I would maybe add Central School to your list -although it's apparently quite marmite!
Must of the colleges are happy for you to be strong in two disciplines and able/trainable in the third. Even the “dancey” ones don’t only take strong dancers. If however DD does want to avoid too much dance, then as well as Central she could look at the London College if Music which has a very low dance content.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Hi
DD will be auditioning for entry in 2020. Hoping for some support during the coming months!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I’ll be following too as we follow this process for a second year running. DD is starting a Pre-Voc year at Performers in September so will be auditioning again for degree courses in 2020, more stressful times ahead but at least this year she’ll be a lot more experienced.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

My daughter has just completed her 1st year at Chichester and loves it. Dance is streamed. If your daughter is offered a place and decides to take it up you are free to message me about anything including accommodation. The triple threat course is long hours but very enjoyable. Most of the third years have found work and a lot had agents before the London showcase this year.
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

My daughter has just completed her 1st year at Chichester and loves it. Dance is streamed. If your daughter is offered a place and decides to take it up you are free to message me about anything including accommodation. The triple threat course is long hours but very enjoyable. Most of the third years have found work and a lot had agents before the London showcase this year.
[/quote]

Thank you very much!
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

My daughter has not long graduated from Bodens College of Performing Arts and I would fully recommend them - the training and performance opportunities there really are amazing and they offer their FULL-TIME training for FREE!!!

My daughter completed their Extended Diploma course (2 -Year) from 16-18, and then their one year Gap Year course for 18 year olds. She and the majority of her friends have since moved onto leading drama schools, like Central, Arts Ed, Mountview, LAMDA etc. The quality and level of professionalism there is honestly brilliant. They also offer a free three-week summer course for 16-18 year olds.

We didn't have to pay a single thing for any of it - it was all fully funded, which meant we had money to support her throughout her degree!!

You can reach them on 02084470909 or at www.performingartscollege.co.uk.

I hope that helps!!
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Hey all, just a bit confused about applying for different places! Some are through normal ucas (Chichester, GSA) some through ucas conservatoires (Trinity Laban) and some just straight to the colleges is that correct? Feeling a bit overwhelmed about where to start! DDs sixth form college has loads of information about how to apply for ‘normal’ university but not musical theatre/performing arts degrees. And as I understand it, applying to ucas conservatoires has an earlier application date? I’ve tried reading though some info online but I think I’ve got summer holiday brain - it’s all a bit scrambled :? Any advice greatly appreciated :)