Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 »

That's cheap! We have
a friend at Bird this year and she pays £175 a week no food or bills!
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:03 pm
daisy1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:50 pm Hey all, it’s so exciting to keep watching this thread and seeing everyone’s successes! Congratulations to everyone so far :D
DD attended the Mountview audition today and although wasn’t recalled she was invited to attend a free audition for the foundation course. She was happy to have been noticed to be honest - there were so many people there! Does anyone know how many people they offer this to? And how many students make it onto the foundation course?
Well done to your DD! They must have spotted something about her that they liked! Any tips for the audition? My dd is attending a regional one in Manchester and the info suggests they don't find out anything on the day for the regionals.
Thank you so much! We’re still reeling to be honest, she went in expecting nothing and there were about 140 kids there so was quite overwhelmed. Not sure how the regional auditions work, but in London they were split into smaller groups of about 10-15 and then she did acting, then singing then dance. She knows that dance isn’t her strongest so thinks that was her downfall, she was asked to do both monologues and both songs (most were only asked to do one of each in her group) so felt that went well for her. At the end of the audition they were all gathered together and they read out the numbers of those who they wanted to recall (she reckons it was about 15-20) and then the numbers of those they wanted to audition for other courses (also about 15). Out of these some were told they should audition for straight acting, some actor/muso and some foundation. Good luck to your DD!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 pm That's cheap! We have
I was going to say are you sure that’s not per week! My daughter pays £420 with bills at Performers (not food) but some are paying over £500, £250 in Surrey seems unbelievably cheap but would be nice if it’s correct!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Thank you so much! We’re still reeling to be honest, she went in expecting nothing and there were about 140 kids there so was quite overwhelmed. Not sure how the regional auditions work, but in London they were split into smaller groups of about 10-15 and then she did acting, then singing then dance. She knows that dance isn’t her strongest so thinks that was her downfall, she was asked to do both monologues and both songs (most were only asked to do one of each in her group) so felt that went well for her. At the end of the audition they were all gathered together and they read out the numbers of those who they wanted to recall (she reckons it was about 15-20) and then the numbers of those they wanted to audition for other courses (also about 15). Out of these some were told they should audition for straight acting, some actor/muso and some foundation. Good luck to your DD!
[/quote]

Thankyou. Daughter feels very prepared now. She had thought dancing was her strongest element but after having acting and singing lessons she actually feels happiest with those bits! Not done any auditions yet and first is 6th Feb, last being the Mountview one. Very nervous for her!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 pm
I was going to say are you sure that’s not per week! My daughter pays £420 with bills at Performers (not food) but some are paying over £500, £250 in Surrey seems unbelievably cheap but would be nice if it’s correct!
It's more than our mortgage what people are paying!! No idea how we find that!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:05 pm
I think the living costs catch a lot of people out as you often don’t know how much this is going to cost until way after you accept a place! This is another reason I’m hoping my dd stays at Performers as at least I know we can cover that cost!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:18 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:05 pm

I think the living costs catch a lot of people out as you often don’t know how much this is going to cost until way after you accept a place! This is another reason I’m hoping my dd stays at Performers as at least I know we can cover that cost!
At least if she does degree you should get some living allowance funding? Is that what shes going for or is she still too young?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Yeah she’s going for degree, worked out how much we’d get in maintenance loan and it would just cover her rent at Performers so nervous about going elsewhere outside of London (eg. Guildford for IC) and it being more as we’d need to contribute which we’d struggle to do as well as supporting dd financially already.
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Can anyone suggest the nearest hotel/guest house to Bird College for audition day - nearest and best value I’ve found is the Travel Lodge - 11 min walk to Bird - Thought I’d ask before booking :-)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:47 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am Dada's own rules state that funding can't be offered until after a date in March, possibly 31st March and after all auditionees have been seen and ranked. We found out in May at Hammond.
I know people who have had letters with dada funding offers already from Laine and Bird. Maybe its to say they will get a definite offer of funding when they come out later in the year. They don't have to go back for a funding audition.

If that is true then they are breaking the DaDa terms and risk losing their funding. In February they will find out how much they have been allocated. All auditioned must be ranked and Provisional DaDa funding can be offered from 1st March onwards.

From the govt website

“Application, income assessment and payment of DaDA
The most important criterion in allocating DaDA funding is that institutions identify at audition those students with the most potential to succeed in the profession based on their talent.

When auditioning students, institutions must implement The Code of Practice for Auditions and Interviews produced by the Council for Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre (CDMT). Institutions must set out the procedures students must follow to audition for a place and DaDA funding.

Provisional and final awards
Institutions may offer provisional awards and final awards. Institutions may offer provisional DaDA awards before a student formally accepts a place. Institutions should not offer provisional awards to students prior to 1 March 2019.

Institutions can only offer final DaDA awards when the student has formally accepted a place and they have received a completed DaDA application form and carried out a full income assessment.”
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

jasmine0323 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 pm Can anyone suggest the nearest hotel/guest house to Bird College for audition day - nearest and best value I’ve found is the Travel Lodge - 11 min walk to Bird - Thought I’d ask before booking :-)
My husband used to work there. He lodged further away as it was cheaper but for just an overnight stay the Premier Inn in Sidcup is really close. We stayed there for summer school pick up. Travelodge is a bit further away in the town.
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 am
jasmine0323 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 pm Can anyone suggest the nearest hotel/guest house to Bird College for audition day - nearest and best value I’ve found is the Travel Lodge - 11 min walk to Bird - Thought I’d ask before booking :-)
My husband used to work there. He lodged further away as it was cheaper but for just an overnight stay the Premier Inn in Sidcup is really close. We stayed there for summer school pick up. Travelodge is a bit further away in the town.
Thanks for replying I’ll take a look
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

islandofsodor wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 am
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:47 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am Dada's own rules state that funding can't be offered until after a date in March, possibly 31st March and after all auditionees have been seen and ranked. We found out in May at Hammond.
I know people who have had letters with dada funding offers already from Laine and Bird. Maybe its to say they will get a definite offer of funding when they come out later in the year. They don't have to go back for a funding audition.

If that is true then they are breaking the DaDa terms and risk losing their funding. In February they will find out how much they have been allocated. All auditioned must be ranked and Provisional DaDa funding can be offered from 1st March onwards.

From the govt website

“Application, income assessment and payment of DaDA
The most important criterion in allocating DaDA funding is that institutions identify at audition those students with the most potential to succeed in the profession based on their talent.

When auditioning students, institutions must implement The Code of Practice for Auditions and Interviews produced by the Council for Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre (CDMT). Institutions must set out the procedures students must follow to audition for a place and DaDA funding.

Provisional and final awards
Institutions may offer provisional awards and final awards. Institutions may offer provisional DaDA awards before a student formally accepts a place. Institutions should not offer provisional awards to students prior to 1 March 2019.

Institutions can only offer final DaDA awards when the student has formally accepted a place and they have received a completed DaDA application form and carried out a full income assessment.”
Thinking about it the letter may ha e said you did not need to return for a funding audition blah blah. I cant remember exactly. I'm sure it didnt break any rules as such but it made it clear they had funding!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

We have booked the premier inn as that was cheapest when I was looking. We are down early feb for my DDs audition
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

As others have said, Premier Inn in Sidcup is the best, really cheap and only a 5min walk, hubby and dd stayed there for last years audition and said it was lovely so we’re there again in Feb for her audition on the 17th x