Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by daisy1 »

Felicity wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:43 am
daisy1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm Oh my goodness, my head is going to explode! There is so much information and it seems so crazy that every single one is different in terms of application and funding! Can I ask those with more knowledge than me....with regard to UCAS and CUCAS, can you apply to five in each application, or five between the two? So far DD has started the UCAS application, applying to GSA musical theatre, The Hammond, Central, Chichester triple threat, and has put down GSA for acting, so that’s her five. She’s applying separately to Arts Ed, Mountview and MTA. We couldn’t find Emil Dale on the list of the UCAS universities/college, so assume that’s on the CUCAS site (we haven’t looked at that yet), and will possibly also apply to Urdang and Trinity. Does that seem too many? How many are others applying for? I’m fully aware (and slightly scared) of all the audition fees!
Hi Daisy, it is all quite mind boggling to begin with!
I am pretty sure Urdang was via UCAS. Emil Dale you apply direct and then if offered, it goes via UCAS. Last year the only establisment for MT whose application was via CUCAS was Trinity (to my knowledge). You can apply to both UCAS and CUCAS separately. Is your DD applying to GSA for both MT and acting BAs?

My DD auditioned extensively - Arts Ed, GSA, Mountview (although she cancelled her recall audition there as she already had a place at GSA), Emil Dale, Trinity, Urdang and TBA. She applied to Bird and PPA as well but ended up cancelling those auditions in the end. DD was doing a Foundation year so was able to commit more time to auditioning than the previous year when she had A-levels, so the number of applications needs to fit in with whatever else they are doing. Regarding number of auditions, remember to factor in recall auditions as well as juggling everything else (GSA, Mountview).
That’s really helpful advice Felicity thank you :) when we started to count them all up it seemed like quite a few so I think we may limit it a bit further, just so she’s actually got a chance with her A levels! She loved GSA when we went for the open day, hence the thought that she might apply for both courses, but not too sure on that yet.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

We did six auditions and it was hard going. Dd was doing a panto, a film and A levels at the time and it was def exhausting travelling to all the auditions. And I do feel although she got the results she wanted and they were amazing they did suffer sightly lol x I would recommend getting hotels as near as possible x most of these auditions are all day if not half days so be super organised and write down all info needed for each one. Have extra passport head shots etc. Work out packed lunch for them. And check out kind of clothing/makeup needed for each one and how they want piano sheet music taped lol. I had polly pockets for each one. Take one at a time and super goodluck xx
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Hi Daisy
Good advice here from previous replies. We decided to only apply to Universities and colleges that DD could afford to go to. DD then looked at the places she thought she was good enough to get in to and we had one dream place that she applied to with an outside chance of getting in. This narrowed down to about five applications through UCAS. The auditions are expensive with audition fees, fuel, food and accommodation. You may find the distance from home narrows your choices down even further due to cost. In the end DD had two choices left Chichester and The Hammond. After her final audition at the Hammond she wasn’t offered a place so the option then was triple threat at Chichester. It worked out well for us in the end and DD loves the course and where she lives. We tried a performing arts college before the University route but it didn’t work out for our DD. Having student finance takes the stress away, universities also have bursaries and hardship funds which all help out. I don’t think we could have managed without student finance as all the leotards, tights, make up and dance shoes have cost so much. Now that Chichester is also a conservatoire also is a positive. There are other things that need to be bought like music, scrips and headshots. DD needed a decent laptop and printer as well. We couldn’t have helped out with all these additional items if we had top up fees and rent/bills to pay. Our DD works in the Summer but doesn’t have time for a job during semester as her days are 12 hours. At the weekend she catches up on sleep, gets her washing and shopping done, then Uni work on a Sunday. Compared to other degree courses these Musical Theatre courses are extremely full with no days off.
Last edited by kzgirl on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I totally agree with it being so much easier with student finance. DD did work in the summer but really didn't need to. With her finance in Chester she can concentrate at The Hammond and not worry about finding the money for ballet shoes tights etc. Also knowing that she doesn't need our financial support gives her her Independence whilst my first daughter we had to support through uni and I know she found this hard to cope with.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Anyone taking their DC to Laine Audition support day on Sunday?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

My DD went to the audition prep today. Mixed feelings,liked it but with only 2 hours of acting per week, not enough for her.
Definitely, definitely more dance based,was hoping for a more equal mix,although we knew it was dance heavy.
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

My daughter is on the Gap course at EDA and loving every minute of it - it is full on!

I just wanted people to know that she was eligible for Universal Credit which has covered almost all of her housing costs and she was also eligible for income support which is tested on her income. It has made the costs much more manageable. It is two meetings at the Job Centre, who were very friendly. One to bring the tenancy agreement, proof of course and ID and the second one was very quick and just confirms that they are unable to look for work whilst studying. It is well worth applying if you are on a non-higher education course and 21 and under (I think that is the age restriction)
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

hewood wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 am My daughter is on the Gap course at EDA and loving every minute of it - it is full on!

I just wanted people to know that she was eligible for Universal Credit which has covered almost all of her housing costs and she was also eligible for income support which is tested on her income. It has made the costs much more manageable. It is two meetings at the Job Centre, who were very friendly. One to bring the tenancy agreement, proof of course and ID and the second one was very quick and just confirms that they are unable to look for work whilst studying. It is well worth applying if you are on a non-higher education course and 21 and under (I think that is the age restriction)
That’s really interesting, thanks for passing this info on. My DD is on the Pre-Voc course at Performers and was told that now it had moved to Universal Credit they could no longer get it. After reading your post I think we’ll at least give it a go, if you have any helpful advice it would be appreciated, the others on her course will be elated if it works!
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm
hewood wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 am My daughter is on the Gap course at EDA and loving every minute of it - it is full on!

That’s really interesting, thanks for passing this info on. My DD is on the Pre-Voc course at Performers and was told that now it had moved to Universal Credit they could no longer get it. After reading your post I think we’ll at least give it a go, if you have any helpful advice it would be appreciated, the others on her course will be elated if it works!
That's okay, Its definitely worth a try. I went with my dd to her initial interview she did most of the talking, make sure you bring every last bit of evidence they ask for. They might be surprised to find that your child is eligible as at first glance as most people assume those in education are not, however your dd just needs to make clear that this is a further education course and she is living away from home.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

hewood wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm

That's okay, Its definitely worth a try. I went with my dd to her initial interview she did most of the talking, make sure you bring every last bit of evidence they ask for. They might be surprised to find that your child is eligible as at first glance as most people assume those in education are not, however your dd just needs to make clear that this is a further education course and she is living away from home.
Thankyou, might be a struggle getting to an interview with her as she’s over 3hrs away but she’s quite brave. Fingers crossed, will let you know ho we get on!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Just a thought, might be worth adding your comment to the 2019 entry as a lot of those, like our DC are also on a Foundation course.
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:58 pm
hewood wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Thankyou, might be a struggle getting to an interview with her as she’s over 3hrs away but she’s quite brave. Fingers crossed, will let you know ho we get on!
I don't think you really need to be there to be honest. As long as your dd is firm about the fact she is on a full time not higher education course she should be able to manage it herself. I attended as I was worried about my dd being fobbed off! If she is armed and ready with the relevant information she will be fine on her own.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I don't think you really need to be there to be honest. As long as your dd is firm about the fact she is on a full time not higher education course she should be able to manage it herself. I attended as I was worried about my dd being fobbed off! If she is armed and ready with the relevant information she will be fine on her own.
[/quote]

I’ll get her to facetime me in :oops:
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I tried last year for Universal Credit - DD not eligible as supported by parents - if you can afford the Pre Voc course, you can afford the living fees - unless you disown your child, that is, then they are classed as independent :D :D
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Interesting that someone has managed to get it approved though so worth a go!