Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Tess50
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tess50 »

Thanks so much lakeviewp - good to know - have you any idea if you're on the list is there a number below that you can assume you won't get a Dada so if you're number 19 on the list for example you probably won't have much chance - can only see if you're top 5 - 10 would you even remotely have a chance ?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Lakeviewp wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:14 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Lakeviewp wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm It’s just one list for Laine but when the letters go out the top ones from the list will get offers and then everyone else will get a letter stating which number they are on the reserve list. Some who are offered a DADA will turn it down if they prefer somewhere else, or realise they can’t afford the accommodation. The list does move, but our experience last year was that it moved very slowly - or it certainly felt that way!
Think my question has got lost but do you know if the laine letters are just yes or the place on the list? Do some get nos?
Hello! Everyone who would have attended the DADA auditions (so those who are waiting) will either get a Yes or a ‘you are #x on the boys /girls waiting list’. Some get a phone call before the letter arrives. I checked and our letters were received on Sat May 18th last year.

Good luck! It’s a lovely college and my son is loving it there!
Do you happen to know if there is any other funding sources they can access whilst on the diploma??
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:06 pm Oh gosh that's what I'm worried about as my daughter will be moving from Ireland over and she was only 17 last week so want to make sure she gets somewhere she's happy and try save on costs for transport etc - I believe a few years ago they were going to build student accommodation but it never happened - oh gosh its stress alright - is your girl going to Wilkes then ? Thank god I've only the one wanting to follow this path - at least you'll be an expert in 3 years time x
Yes she’s going to Wilkes, nothing against Performers at all as she loves it there but she just fell in love with Wilkes more, the old adage that they know when they know! They are a few girls on her Pre-Voc course who fly in, I think one even flies to Southend airport which isn’t far away at all.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Ah that's great - heard only good things about Wilkes - best of luck to your daughter - didn't audition there as couldn't do them all and I have family near London so wanted her near someone - thanks for all the advice and info x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:45 pm Ah that's great - heard only good things about Wilkes - best of luck to your daughter - didn't audition there as couldn't do them all and I have family near London so wanted her near someone - thanks for all the advice and info x
You’re welcome and good luck xx
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

Anyone know if foundation waiting lists are starting to move? DD heard of someone getting a foundation at GSA I think today, she’s still waiting to hear about foundation from Mountview.
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 pm OMG surely that can't be right - an intake of approx 235 in total ? That's a huge intake - might message them to find out.
Did you manage to find out?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Duncemum wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Tess50 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 pm OMG surely that can't be right - an intake of approx 235 in total ? That's a huge intake - might message them to find out.
Did you manage to find out?
Someone else confirmed their dd had also heard the same thing in the meeting, 50 Pre-Voc, 50 Diploma and 135 Degree.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Hi there,

Yep Tracey got back to me - max 50 pre-vocational, 50 diploma and increase to 130 degree (was previously 85) - they normally teach diploma and degree together but from September they won't be -they'll be separate - they are going to have small classes and they are adding to their facilities - further studio space and other building work which they will share when they deem it appropriate
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

Wow that’s quite an increase, but no different to when diploma and degree together I guess? Bird is a similar size isn’t it? Pros and cons of large group vs small year group anyone?
How many to Artsed and Mountview take - less than 40 for the whole year group or is it 40 for diploma and 40 for degree?
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Yep I believe Bird is higher numbers and Urdang too - not sure of GSA or Mountview but think they are significantly lower - Mountview I think is approx 40 intake for the 3 years - you must be 18 though so maybe that's why some of the other colleges have larger numbers as they accept applicants from 16. Not sure of numbers for GSA.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi
Re Urdang .... there are about 110 in 1st year degree this year.... they are split into 6 groups so are taught in classes of 17-18 . I believe there are significantly less students on the diploma course.

Congratulations to all those with places for September and fingers crossed for any still waiting - I can only imagine how hard it is this year with remote auditions etc.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Littleone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am Hi
Re Urdang .... there are about 110 in 1st year degree this year.... they are split into 6 groups so are taught in classes of 17-18 . I believe there are significantly less students on the diploma course.

Congratulations to all those with places for September and fingers crossed for any still waiting - I can only imagine how hard it is this year with remote auditions etc.
I guess all diploma students will now have to be fee paying or in scholarships with them not offering dadas any more.

The waiting is awful and we were lucky and got all the auditions done before lockdown. DD just doesn't have anything definite yet all waiting on funding or coming off reserve lists. So frustrating. So glad of the support on here. It's a real help.

Anyone have any ideas for other funding options for diploma if the Dada doesn't work out? We have applications in for all sorts of trusts and foundations but as yet only a couple of small amounts have come through. And lots of foundations postponing trustee meetings in the current climate too.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Has anyone else's DC got a place at GSA or on reserve or waiting to hear yet?
GSA take 36 students per year,which is great. Foundation are mixed with them in dance sets I believe.
Nickinoo
BRIT Award

Post by Nickinoo »

Congrats to all your DCs who have been offered places! =D>

Haven’t been on here much this year as had a few disasters and it was looking like nothing was going to happen for DD (after having got so close so many times.)

Last year she had a real problem with her voice and so had to audition very late and missed the boat on most places (had a few reserve places offered which didn’t come to anything.) And this year she was really ill for three weeks the beginning of her auditions ( We actually suspect she may have had COVID19! :shock: ) She got a few recalls and through to the final round at RCS ( fourth year running) but then the workshop final round in Glasgow was cancelled a few days before she went in the middle of March. She managed to attend A few other auditions before lock down but had to submit most of the rest by video and Skype interviews.

BUT!!!!!

Today she got the amazing news that, after four long years of auditions ( the first of which she did the Foundation at Mountview) DD found out today that she has been offered an unconditional place to do MT at RCS in Glasgow for this September!!!! :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D